A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:28:09 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sidewalks (emphasis on 31st street)  (Read 12240 times)
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2016, 12:04:32 pm »

It has been a fun project to work on, and be sure to let me know what I messed up after you walk/bike/drive it.

Oh, I'm now seeing that you posted at least three times quickly, and I'm only now seeing this one just now. 

It sounds as though you have considered many factors.  But I do wish these types of plans could be made public before the projects are completed.  Once it's set in concrete, it's expensive and difficult to change.  It's easy and (relatively) cheap to revise when it's on paper.
buffalodan
Activist

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2016, 12:40:36 pm »

You aren't wrong about that. Curb ramps are probably the thing in Tulsa that engineers/inspectors/contractors struggle the most with. Public input is going to be tough one to crack. All public projects create angry people, and I really hate going to meetings with angry people.
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2016, 12:59:44 pm »

You aren't wrong about that. Curb ramps are probably the thing in Tulsa that engineers/inspectors/contractors struggle the most with. Public input is going to be tough one to crack. All public projects create angry people, and I really hate going to meetings with angry people.

I'm definitely not wrong, and I'm not saying that curb ramps are easy to design, especially with some of the huge curb radii we have in Tulsa.

In my neighborhood, the meetings were announced and open to the public.  The City asked for the neighborhood's input.  Yes, there were some angry people there.  I wasn't angry myself, until I saw that the curb ramp/sidewalk/crosswalk designs had been changed from what we were shown in a previous public meeting, and that the revised design was inferior to the previous design.  That irked me.  I told the design engineers and the City public works employees at the meeting that the revised design would not be ADA compliant, and they seemed to know exactly what I meant.  They understood me.  Something else was going on behind the scenes, I think.

No sense in having public meetings and asking for public input if the City is going to ignore it...  That's a waste of time.  What's the point?    
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2016, 07:37:23 am »

31st St feels uncomfortable to drive because it is 4 lane and cars are trying to pass you on a narrow street while also trying to avoid pedestrians, pedogstrians, runners, and bikes. Making it 2 lane with protected bike lane and sidewalks could actually make it feel less claustrophobic to drive.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org