A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:20:57 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eddy's Steak House  (Read 11500 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« on: May 13, 2016, 09:20:28 am »

After 60 years of business, Eddy’s Steakhouse near 31st and Harvard will closed its doors after dinner service on May 28.

Owner Eddy Elias told FOX23 that increased beef prices hit the business hard and now many of his clients cut back on eating out because of layoffs within the oil industry.
Elias inherited the business from his father 20 years ago. The father/son duo worked side by side since the 1960s.

The building will be torn down and a bank will be built in its place.

http://www.eddysoftulsa.com/menu.html
http://www.yelp.com/biz/eddys-steakhouse-tulsa

The stuffed cabbage rolls were unbeatable.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 09:59:16 am »

After 60 years of business, Eddy’s Steakhouse near 31st and Harvard will closed its doors after dinner service on May 28.

Owner Eddy Elias told FOX23 that increased beef prices hit the business hard and now many of his clients cut back on eating out because of layoffs within the oil industry.
Elias inherited the business from his father 20 years ago. The father/son duo worked side by side since the 1960s.

The building will be torn down and a bank will be built in its place.

http://www.eddysoftulsa.com/menu.html
http://www.yelp.com/biz/eddys-steakhouse-tulsa

The stuffed cabbage rolls were unbeatable.

Excuses, excuses.  Every other steak house has managed to survive amongst rising beef prices and even with oil industry cut backs, those places are still thriving.

The place was nasty and dated.  I can’t believe it stayed open as long as it did.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 11:18:22 am »

Excuses, excuses.  Every other steak house has managed to survive amongst rising beef prices and even with oil industry cut backs, those places are still thriving.

The place was nasty and dated.  I can’t believe it stayed open as long as it did.

Kind of like the old Avalon Steakhouse....?

I thought they ruined Avalon when it changed from a "sawdust on the floor to soak up the blood from the knife fights" bar into a steakhouse...!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 12:39:16 pm »

Kind of like the old Avalon Steakhouse....?

I thought they ruined Avalon when it changed from a "sawdust on the floor to soak up the blood from the knife fights" bar into a steakhouse...!

That place was a classic!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 12:53:04 pm »

My dad used to talk about the Avalon being open all night and being very wild. He said they often had mob guys from Kansas City hanging out.  The places to be were the Avalon, the Celebrity Club and another place whose name I can't recall at 11th and Denver that was torn down. Legalized liquor by the drink calmed everything down.

But then my grandmother always talked about preferring the days during prohibition because the bootleggers delivered and you didn’t have to go to the liquor store.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 01:13:53 pm »

My dad used to talk about the Avalon being open all night and being very wild. He said they often had mob guys from Kansas City hanging out.  The places to be were the Avalon, the Celebrity Club and another place whose name I can't recall at 11th and Denver that was torn down. Legalized liquor by the drink calmed everything down.

But then my grandmother always talked about preferring the days during prohibition because the bootleggers delivered and you didn’t have to go to the liquor store.

I think it may have been the Cognito Inn, also referred to as Cog Corner.

Or the Gay '90’s Club which I don’t remember, but from the description sounds like it might have been more of a mob type hangout:

http://tulsatvmemories.com/11denver.html
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 01:22:58 pm by Conan71 » Logged

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 01:58:35 pm »

Later years...through the 70's, 80's, it was the best steak around.  Bar none.

The sawdust on the floor was more true than myth.  There was a regular in the way old days...60's...who would do some shooting on a fairly regular basis.  Not trying to hit anyone, just liked to shoot a gun.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 02:31:05 pm »

Never ate at Eddy's, always went to Jamil's. It was like the Carl's Coney Island/Coney Islander discussions, you were a fan of one or the other but never both.

Never got to go to the Avalon, and I know it's been talked about before but wasn't that also the hang out for Rex Brinlee?

http://www.historicalcrimedetective.com/msm-rex-brinlee-jr/

http://newsok.com/article/2360152
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 03:11:08 pm »

A bucking Bank....Awesome... Roll Eyes

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 03:24:29 pm »

A bucking Bank....Awesome... Roll Eyes

At least it’s not another CVS  Shocked

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 10:01:24 am »

At least it’s not another CVS  Shocked

It would not shock me....

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 09:11:35 pm »

Eddy's has been open? 
The place looks like it was abandoned years ago.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 03:51:33 pm »

Eddy's has been open? 
The place looks like it was abandoned years ago.

I've driven by it a hundred times and never knew it was an actually functioning restaurant that you could eat in. 
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 09:51:12 am »

I've driven by it a hundred times and never knew it was an actually functioning restaurant that you could eat in. 

Didnt know there was a much older thread already:
http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=21197.msg303142

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org