A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:27:28 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steve Pryor...  (Read 9349 times)
Breadburner
City Father

« on: May 07, 2016, 05:38:18 pm »

Killed in Tulsa...Motorcycle accident.....

Tulsa native and blues guitarist Steve Pryor died Friday after a motorcycle crash, multiple sources said.
Prominent and prolific Tulsa musician Steve Pryor died Friday after a motorcycle crash, multiple sources said.
Pryor was a renowned blues guitarist and Tulsa native who toured with bands like the Fabulous Thunderbirds, Joe Cocker and the Paul Butterfield Blues Band and played extensively around the Tulsa area, recording his own music for decades and working with many musicians throughout the region.
"He really exemplified the Tulsa scene," said John Cooper with the Red Dirt Rangers, who played with Pryor recently in Tulsa. "He bridged back to the old Tulsa scene, and he was respected by the new scene. He's kind of the embodiment of what they Tulsa scene is right now."
About 5:30 p.m. Friday, Tulsa Police officers were dispatched to a collision near 1800 N. Denver Ave.
A motorcycle traveling south on North Denver Avenue at a high rate of speed struck the rear of a car that had pulled on to the road from a nearby residence and was about to turn left on to West Seminole Street, police said.
The motorcyclist was alert and talking with officers after the crash. He was taken by ambulance to St. John Medical Center with injuries to his lower extremities, where he later died from internal injuries, police said.
Pryor, a graduate of Nathan Hale High School, was known for his extensive knowledge of music and his fierce guitar work, combining blues and rock with a raucous outcome.
"His guitar playing was fierce, but his heart and his soul was gentle," Cooper said. "He had a gentle soul."
Pryor was a member of the Oklahoma Blues Hall of Fame and had recorded four albums along with the Steve Pryor Band. Over his career, he's shared the stage with blues legends like John Lee Hooker, Albert King, Buddy Guy, B.B. King and Bonnie Raitt with scores of others.
Pryor had regular gigs around Tulsa and could be seen multiple times a week around the region. Often, he would join with other musicians for shows and collaborations, like his recent regular gigs at Soul City, which often featured Tulsa players for a unique set.
"This scene is my home. These musicians are my family," Pryor told the Tulsa World in 2012.

davideinstein
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 07:55:32 am »

Huge loss. RIP.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 11:19:15 am »

Huge loss. RIP.

His last interview was about saving a kitten from a landfill. 
http://www.fox23.com/news/police-investigate-after-local-musician-finds-kitten-dumped-in-tulsa-landfill/209923685

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 09:11:15 am »

Killed in Tulsa...Motorcycle accident.....

Tulsa native and blues guitarist Steve Pryor died Friday after a motorcycle crash, multiple sources said.
Prominent and prolific Tulsa musician Steve Pryor died Friday after a motorcycle crash, multiple sources said.
Pryor was a renowned blues guitarist and Tulsa native who toured with bands like the Fabulous Thunderbirds, Joe Cocker and the Paul Butterfield Blues Band and played extensively around the Tulsa area, recording his own music for decades and working with many musicians throughout the region.
"He really exemplified the Tulsa scene," said John Cooper with the Red Dirt Rangers, who played with Pryor recently in Tulsa. "He bridged back to the old Tulsa scene, and he was respected by the new scene. He's kind of the embodiment of what they Tulsa scene is right now."
About 5:30 p.m. Friday, Tulsa Police officers were dispatched to a collision near 1800 N. Denver Ave.
A motorcycle traveling south on North Denver Avenue at a high rate of speed struck the rear of a car that had pulled on to the road from a nearby residence and was about to turn left on to West Seminole Street, police said.
The motorcyclist was alert and talking with officers after the crash. He was taken by ambulance to St. John Medical Center with injuries to his lower extremities, where he later died from internal injuries, police said.
Pryor, a graduate of Nathan Hale High School, was known for his extensive knowledge of music and his fierce guitar work, combining blues and rock with a raucous outcome.
"His guitar playing was fierce, but his heart and his soul was gentle," Cooper said. "He had a gentle soul."
Pryor was a member of the Oklahoma Blues Hall of Fame and had recorded four albums along with the Steve Pryor Band. Over his career, he's shared the stage with blues legends like John Lee Hooker, Albert King, Buddy Guy, B.B. King and Bonnie Raitt with scores of others.
Pryor had regular gigs around Tulsa and could be seen multiple times a week around the region. Often, he would join with other musicians for shows and collaborations, like his recent regular gigs at Soul City, which often featured Tulsa players for a unique set.
"This scene is my home. These musicians are my family," Pryor told the Tulsa World in 2012.

Sadness.

“Gene Autry stepping off a UFO with a Stratocaster in his hand and an Elmore James song in his heart.”

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 12:04:14 pm »

We are heartbroken over this.  Cry
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 06:07:04 am »

Anyone go to the concert at The Cains....Huh

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 09:35:12 am »

Anyone go to the concert at The Cains....Huh

Out of town so missed.   Was it as good as I would expect it to be?

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org