A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:00:14 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stormgasm 2016 - Anual Event  (Read 12141 times)
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2016, 10:00:48 am »

This is as helpful as you would expect from a GOV URL.

http://stormaware.mo.gov/alerts/

Hence the state motto "Show Me".
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2016, 11:42:20 am »

Actually, there were several tornadoes forming and perhaps one on the ground out by Bixby.

Counties are now broken up into zones. If a tornado warning is issued for a portion of that zone the sirens will be sounded. Warning means a tornado has been indicated by radar or actually spotted. As we saw last night, many times radar indicates there "may" be a tornado and a warning is issued. Whether there was a tornado or not in such circumstances is not determined for a couple of days as damage is assessed (obviously larger tornadoes are easier to confirm).

I live out South of Bixby and there was a lowering. When it looked like there was a hook echo forming around Mounds we rounded up the kids and headed to the shelter. I kept the door open for a bit watching and could see a lowering, it would come down for a bit and then go back up and did this several times while I was watching. Not sure if it ever came all the way down or not. I finally shut the door when hail began to mix in with the rain.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2016, 11:45:58 am »

Not true.  Tornado sirens are sounded in concert with the NWS and the city emergency management agency.  They will warn for a radar indicated tornado.

And anyone using *outdoor* sirens as their primary means of warning of bad weather deserve to be Darwined.  Get a weather radio people.

Yes, if you don't have a weather radio and live around here you likely need your head examined.

I have to give some kudos to the Storm Shield app that KJRH is always pimping. I downloaded in on Monday in prep for this round of storms and it works well. I'm not sure it should cost $2.99, but it does seem to work well and a $3 investment for something that actually works is cheap.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2016, 11:54:47 am »

I've seen tornadoes from a distance before, being a native. However, I've never seen one like the one last nite. I was on 51 near Sheridan when the wind blew me over half a lane. The sirens were annoyingly loud. Worked real well. Stuff was flying sideways. Not much rain at that point. I slowed down but most drivers seemed to increase their speed. Then saw multiple transformers start to blow. Very exciting. Then, the smoke from the transformers illuminated a small rotation moving quickly across the road ahead of us. It had been transparent but showed well with the smoke. Just like high school science lab. It wiggled back and forth as it crossed. The straight winds were brutal. Took out some trees over by Wright elementary off 47th and Peoria.

Just another tricky day.

onward...through the fog
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2016, 01:10:12 pm »

I've seen tornadoes from a distance before, being a native. However, I've never seen one like the one last nite. I was on 51 near Sheridan when the wind blew me over half a lane. The sirens were annoyingly loud. Worked real well. Stuff was flying sideways. Not much rain at that point. I slowed down but most drivers seemed to increase their speed. Then saw multiple transformers start to blow. Very exciting. Then, the smoke from the transformers illuminated a small rotation moving quickly across the road ahead of us. It had been transparent but showed well with the smoke. Just like high school science lab. It wiggled back and forth as it crossed. The straight winds were brutal. Took out some trees over by Wright elementary off 47th and Peoria.

Just another tricky day.

NWS tweeted earlier that their survey did indeed reveal that a tornado touched down about 48th and Riverside.

https://twitter.com/NWStulsa/status/725383340140830720

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2016, 01:10:40 pm »

We got several alerts from NWS on our i-Phones, doesn’t everyone with a smart phone get those now?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2016, 01:44:29 pm »

We got several alerts from NWS on our i-Phones, doesn’t everyone with a smart phone get those now?

yes, but they can also be disabled (except for the alerts noted as "presidential alerts"...I have no idea what fits that criteria.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2016, 01:46:09 pm »

I would assume so, but if they are like the alerts I receive on my Android device they aren't all that informative. It is nice to be able to pull up an app that shows your exact location and the radar. Really helped us last night on when to come out of the shelter.

Now if I had just remembered to put something down there to entertain the kids like I normally do. Totally forgot about a few comic books or a game.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2016, 01:48:17 pm »

yes, but they can also be disabled (except for the alerts noted as "presidential alerts"...I have no idea what fits that criteria.

The Presidential Alerts are for when President Obama finally calls up his sleeper cells of secret Muslim lizard men to enslave us all.

At least that's what is going to happen according to my crazy Uncle Scott.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2016, 02:29:54 pm »

The Presidential Alerts are for when President Obama finally calls up his sleeper cells of secret Muslim lizard men to enslave us all.
At least that's what is going to happen according to my crazy Uncle Scott.

"The woods are dark and deep--" Oh wait.

NWS is making a preliminary call of an EF1 tornado touching down near Myers-Duren Harley and racing across midtown.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2016, 04:59:33 pm »

"The woods are dark and deep--" Oh wait.

The Night is dark and full of terrors.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2016, 02:11:20 pm »

Heck, every time a dark cloud passes overhead or a snow flake falls they go totally bananas. To them it's a game of ratings, when a storm starts to fizzle out they even sound dis-appointed. Shocked

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org