A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:31:55 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USA BMX to move headquarters to Tulsa  (Read 69655 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 08:38:00 am »

I haven't heard that it is off...

Here is the article from April of 2016, officially announcing the move.  The CEO and all the officers appear to still be in place.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/usa-bmx-moving-headquarters-to-tulsa/article_9a31bd8f-a016-5b8e-80a0-49297a65a892.html

Here is an article from March 13, 2017, they quote people involved with and another who works for BMX.  Both seem excited about the move and don't mention it is off.
http://www.pryordailytimes.com/news/bmx-headquarters-moves-to-tulsa-mayes-county-sees-fringe-benefits/article_17c7b968-07ff-11e7-9b10-3fe5ebd45355.html

If you drive by the old Driller's stadium, it is being disassembled.  The stadium itself is pretty much down to the bones (seats gone, cover over the seating gone, etc.).  Which would indicate something is happening.

Also, I recently had an excuse to talk with the Tulsa Sports Commission and it hopes the build out will be done and BMX will move by the end of 2018.  So unless something changed recently or the person at the Commission I spoke with was out of the know...

But, please call BMX directly and ask!  It would be very disappointing if that were true.
https://www.usabmx.com/site/sections/56

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 02:26:08 pm »

I haven't heard that it is off...

Here is the article from April of 2016, officially announcing the move.  The CEO and all the officers appear to still be in place.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/usa-bmx-moving-headquarters-to-tulsa/article_9a31bd8f-a016-5b8e-80a0-49297a65a892.html

Here is an article from March 13, 2017, they quote people involved with and another who works for BMX.  Both seem excited about the move and don't mention it is off.
http://www.pryordailytimes.com/news/bmx-headquarters-moves-to-tulsa-mayes-county-sees-fringe-benefits/article_17c7b968-07ff-11e7-9b10-3fe5ebd45355.html

If you drive by the old Driller's stadium, it is being disassembled.  The stadium itself is pretty much down to the bones (seats gone, cover over the seating gone, etc.).  Which would indicate something is happening.

Also, I recently had an excuse to talk with the Tulsa Sports Commission and it hopes the build out will be done and BMX will move by the end of 2018.  So unless something changed recently or the person at the Commission I spoke with was out of the know...

But, please call BMX directly and ask!  It would be very disappointing if that were true.
https://www.usabmx.com/site/sections/56

I know the grandstand for Tulsa Speedway Fair Meadows was being dismantled but I had not noticed anything happening at Driller’s Stadium when I was in Tulsa last week, then again I wasn’t looking for that either.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 06:18:20 pm »

http://www.sportsdestinations.com/management/marketing-sponsorships/record-year-2016-usa-bmx-and-track-success-increas-12637

This is from 9 days ago
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2017, 07:39:12 pm »

Update: No longer at Fairgrounds

https://www.readfrontier.org/stories/soda-sales-likely-to-keep-proposed-bmx-training-facility-from-expo-square/
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2017, 09:38:55 pm »

Sears and Gordman's across the street?

why would a venue agree to a pouring rights contract like that?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 09:42:04 pm by BKDotCom » Logged
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2017, 04:08:10 am »

Many large venues, airports, etc. agree to them. They get straight cash and/or heavy discounts.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2017, 07:50:48 am »

A better question is though, why would it make any difference to USA BMX when they are getting a $15 million facility paid for by tax payers?

Looking on their website at their sponsors or corporate partners, I don’t see any drink companies affiliated with them.  Taking a wild stab at who they might have as a partner, I Googled Monster Energy, USA BMX and got some hits, but I’m still not clear if Monster sponsors some riders or teams or if they are a corporate partner.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2017, 08:31:29 am »

A better question is though, why would it make any difference to USA BMX when they are getting a $15 million facility paid for by tax payers?

Looking on their website at their sponsors or corporate partners, I don’t see any drink companies affiliated with them.  Taking a wild stab at who they might have as a partner, I Googled Monster Energy, USA BMX and got some hits, but I’m still not clear if Monster sponsors some riders or teams or if they are a corporate partner.

No Mountain Dew?!

THE DEAL'S OFF!
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2017, 08:59:59 am »

Governments need to be careful with naming rights and pouring rights, etc. Expo Square has exclusive rights to everything. I did events there for two decades and had many arguments about feeding my volunteers, adding my own security, etc.

I think the pouring deal they have with Coca Cola has benefited Expo Square to date. It has meant their logo on stuff, but who cares? It is a Fairgrounds, not a museum.

Sad to see this not work. I grew up at the old Oiler Park and just think that corner is ripe for something cool.

Power is nothing till you use it.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2017, 09:40:39 am »

Pouring rights are almost ubiquitous from pro stadiums to high schools.  But I'm a bit surprised there is zero wiggle room either on Expo's side or BMX side (one to save face, one for a space and a $15mil facility).  How long could the pouring deal be for anyway?

Really sucks for the Tulsa Athletics.  They had made the old Driller's stadium a nice little home for themselves, I get that it wasn't there's and they had to move when something else could benefit the public using the same space.  But now it appears we kicked out another local interest at Expo square and will be left with another blank space.   Embarrassed

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2017, 11:18:09 am »

Pouring rights for 24 years seems excessive.  This is very disappointing because the spirit, if not the specifics, of the $15 million subsidy was to build it at the site of the old Driller’s stadium.  Now we are stuck with a decaying unused stadium and the $15 million (and the attendant economic benefits) will likely end up in suburbia.

I was lukewarm at best to this particular part of the vision package and now it looks far worse than we were promised.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2017, 12:26:22 pm »

Pouring rights for 24 years seems excessive.  This is very disappointing because the spirit, if not the specifics, of the $15 million subsidy was to build it at the site of the old Driller’s stadium.  Now we are stuck with a decaying unused stadium and the $15 million (and the attendant economic benefits) will likely end up in suburbia.

I was lukewarm at best to this particular part of the vision package and now it looks far worse than we were promised.

Yeah, this ruins this unless some sort of miracle can be worked out. You would think they would have had this sorted out BEFORE dismantling and destroying the stadium. It could've been used for the Athletics. Now it looks about worthless.

I would prefer they cancel it altogether. That $15 million won't go far on a brand new facility from scratch (they were going to redo the Health center and I am not sure about salvaging any of drillers stadium).

Maybe there's an "unused" park out there on the river they can hand over!
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2017, 01:00:17 pm »

This sounds extraordinarily dumb.
AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2017, 02:43:20 pm »

This sounds extraordinarily dumb.

Agree.  I am going with idiotic.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2017, 02:57:59 pm »

Agree.  I am going with idiotic.

I believe that was done during Randi Miller's time with the county.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org