A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:04:45 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do the Tulsa Young Professionals rub you the wrong way?  (Read 11996 times)
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 11:47:23 am »

It is my understanding their leadership wasn't happy with the final Vision package involving items they had lobbied against included, such as the public safety component.  As a result their leadership voted to not endorse the package.  They didn't come out against the package, but didn't actively promote a yes vote.  That is in stark contrast to what the Tulsa Regional Chamber wanted them to do.  I'd say kuddos to their leadership for standing up for what they believed in and not doing exactly what their primary funding source wanted them to do.

FWIW myself and many other adults felt the same way. One component of leadership is showing courage to do what is right in the face of majority disagreement. Now that its done though, you just soldier on.

onward...through the fog
davideinstein
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 03:25:04 pm »

It is my understanding their leadership wasn't happy with the final Vision package involving items they had lobbied against included, such as the public safety component.  As a result their leadership voted to not endorse the package.  They didn't come out against the package, but didn't actively promote a yes vote.  That is in stark contrast to what the Tulsa Regional Chamber wanted them to do.  I'd say kuddos to their leadership for standing up for what they believed in and not doing exactly what their primary funding source wanted them to do.

They sure didn't budge on social media saying they were against the public safety package.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 10:59:54 pm »

They're sort of like puppies.  Cute to watch, annoying to be around, energetic, good-natured, over-confident, possessing short-attention spans, and unable to tell the difference between a valuable antique chair and a chew toy.

Still, when they show up in force, people pay attention.  I heard that they recently showed up to a COT engineering meeting and got staff to think about bike lanes on an Improve Our Tulsa project.  And, they made a big showing at the "sidewalk-gate" (on Riverside) meeting last year.  Both of these things make me happy.

Personally, I wouldn't brag about bringing national chains to Tulsa.  We've got plenty of that.  Need to focus on being us and supporting local entrepreneurs, who will build and keep wealth here in Tulsa.

Here's an interesting article about why Dunkin Donuts is not good for building local wealth or benefiting local small entrepreneurs.  http://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2014/1/20/dunkin-our-future.html

To open a DD, you need a minimum of $500k net worth, and $250k of that in liquid assets.  This is not something your average TU grad has... even after working for 20 years!

The main point of the article is that young entrepreneurs don't open Dunkin D's, wealthy investors do.  The folks who own the franchises hire people to work there, but their employees don't build wealth.  They're just underpaid worker bees.  The corporation makes money, and the wealthy investor makes money, but the guys who work for them don't.  

Contrast this with a small, locally owned donut shop, where a hard-working person could make a go of it without already being rich (without the vast financial reserves required by Dunkin D). If they're successful, the money they make stays in town.  They can build wealth that benefits their family and the community a lot more than a part time low wage job.

If I were the Typros I wouldn't be crowing too much about DD.  While many typros will be qualified to WORK at a Dunkin D, I don't see many of them owning one.  But, hey, maybe they can work their way up to part-time night manager.  Afterall... someone has to make the donuts!  (And keep those corporate profits flowing... to Massachusetts.)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 07:52:29 am »

They're sort of like puppies.  Cute to watch, annoying to be around, energetic, good-natured, over-confident, possessing short-attention spans, and unable to tell the difference between a valuable antique chair and a chew toy.

Still, when they show up in force, people pay attention.  I heard that they recently showed up to a COT engineering meeting and got staff to think about bike lanes on an Improve Our Tulsa project.  And, they made a big showing at the "sidewalk-gate" (on Riverside) meeting last year.  Both of these things make me happy.

Personally, I wouldn't brag about bringing national chains to Tulsa.  We've got plenty of that.  Need to focus on being us and supporting local entrepreneurs, who will build and keep wealth here in Tulsa.

If I were the Typros I wouldn't be crowing too much about DD.  While many typros will be qualified to WORK at a Dunkin D, I don't see many of them owning one.  But, hey, maybe they can work their way up to part-time night manager.  Afterall... someone has to make the donuts!  (And keep those corporate profits flowing... to Massachusetts.)

Be nice!!  YOU were a puppy once, even if ya don't remember it.... Good description, though!

COT meeting is a good sign - active participation on a topic that is important.  Now...how is the follow through?  MOST people - including old ones - are in this "American Mode" where we identify a problem, focus on it for a while, throw resources at it, then declare victory and leave the field.  Leaving no "sentries" to stand watch.  Which allows the problem to come right back.  Time after time after time after time....  Cases in point - Nixon, Reagan, Baby Bush, and Trump/Cruz/Rubio if one of them gets in.   (Notice I did not include Daddy Bush - he was probably one who should have been re-elected.)

Yeah - we probably have enough national chains such that we shouldn't be making much of a deal about it.  More could be ok, but if not, then ho-hum...who cares...?

Dunkin' Donuts - I really like them, no matter where they are from.  There is a new one in OKC area that is almost directly in my typical traffic pattern when I am there - and YAY!!   SWMBO likes the coffee...says it is very good, so she will be thrilled when DD open in Tulsa!   They were heading this direction - finally - no matter what typros or any other civic group had to say about it.  It's a non-event as far as feathers in caps.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 07:58:13 am »

Hello, hello!     (That's cute no matter who you are...)

Don't be put off.  Get back into the fray!   See previous note about follow through.  If ya got something to say, and if you are like minded to those who showed up at CTO engineering meeting, you DO, then keep saying it.

There is a force in the universe...   Remember, rust never sleeps!   Be the rust...

Take off on....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWH811TcckU

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2016, 09:36:26 am »

I started thinking after a remark on another thread about police and fire districts. We have entertainment districts, red light districts (well, somewhere), industrial/commercial districts, etc.

Why not have a district whose zoning only allows for domestic businesses? Home grown, organic businesses that serve to aid their surrounding community. This would allow those who can't tolerate the conformity and boredom of franchise businesses to enjoy more localized food and services. We could take some rather unprofitable or marginal areas and encourage them to be developed with aid from the Service Corps of Retired Executives, the TYPRO's, etc. It could be limited to state or metro businesses but no out of area or franchise type businesses.

I know there are business incubators and of course the Made In Oklahoma section of the Tulsa State Fair, but this goes a bit farther.

onward...through the fog
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2016, 02:46:09 pm »

I started thinking after a remark on another thread about police and fire districts. We have entertainment districts, red light districts (well, somewhere), industrial/commercial districts, etc.

Why not have a district whose zoning only allows for domestic businesses? Home grown, organic businesses that serve to aid their surrounding community. This would allow those who can't tolerate the conformity and boredom of franchise businesses to enjoy more localized food and services. We could take some rather unprofitable or marginal areas and encourage them to be developed with aid from the Service Corps of Retired Executives, the TYPRO's, etc. It could be limited to state or metro businesses but no out of area or franchise type businesses.

I know there are business incubators and of course the Made In Oklahoma section of the Tulsa State Fair, but this goes a bit farther.

If you think about it, that’s managed to happen organically in the Brady, Greenwood, Blue Dome and to a lesser extent Cherry St. districts without any sort of restrictions.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
davideinstein
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2016, 07:20:35 pm »

Local places can succeed in Tulsa for sure.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org