A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:55:05 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do the Tulsa Young Professionals rub you the wrong way?  (Read 11993 times)
davideinstein
« on: April 05, 2016, 10:41:40 pm »

Maybe it's me, but I used to really enjoy this group and now they've worn on me. I understand there are some talented people associated with them but why do they have to attach their name to everything? Why do they think they speak for all young voters in Tulsa? The core shows up at events then disappear over the long haul and it's more of a social club than anything.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 10:48:16 pm by davideinstein » Logged
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 06:09:05 am »

A drunk clique....

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 07:08:33 am »

I agree that is mostly a social and networking hub, and I agree that they can seem a bit self aggrandizing... but overall, it is a group of younger Tulsa citizens getting involved. And that's a good thing. In reality, it is the Tulsa Regional Junior Chamber of Commerce. So just like the Chamber sometime rubs me the wrong way, so do the TY Pros. Just like the Chamber sometimes gets it right, so do the TY Pros.

But overall, I like the TY Pros better than the Chamber.  Wink

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 02:09:25 am »

Maybe it's me, but I used to really enjoy this group and now they've worn on me. I understand there are some talented people associated with them but why do they have to attach their name to everything? Why do they think they speak for all young voters in Tulsa? The core shows up at events then disappear over the long haul and it's more of a social club than anything.

Maybe it's because they understand that there is no value or gain in tearing down a 52 story office building, the building to the west of it, a hotel and destroying a green space just to reconnect two streets from one area to another.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 02:11:15 am by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 05:40:47 am »

Maybe it's because they understand that there is no value or gain in tearing down a 52 story office building, the building to the west of it, a hotel and destroying a green space just to reconnect two streets from one area to another.

That was one of the dumbest ideas I have heard.....

saintnicster
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 07:59:07 am »

It's nice that they're getting involved, but I'd really like to see them follow something to a better completion.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 08:18:41 am »

There is little doubt they are a networking club of sorts.

My experience with their "government crew" over the last year is they have been very diligent about presenting public forums on topical issues such as the outlet mall on Turkey Mountain and a forum on the Vision Tulsa package.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 08:49:25 am »

Not just you.

Goes to that whole, "arrogance of youth" thing....they don't even know what they don't know yet.   But that also comes with a certain energy that could be a force for good with a little adult supervision....leading to an interesting conundrum - if one is going to be member of an exclusionary elitist group of children, how does one get the adult supervision so desperately needed?

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 10:52:06 am »

Not just you.

Goes to that whole, "arrogance of youth" thing....they don't even know what they don't know yet.   But that also comes with a certain energy that could be a force for good with a little adult supervision....leading to an interesting conundrum - if one is going to be member of an exclusionary elitist group of children, how does one get the adult supervision so desperately needed?

Wow. Adults huh? Like our forward thinking Mayor? Or all the "adults" that let Downtown Tulsa rot and fall far behind other cities? I'm not a member of TYPROS but anyone working to help make Tulsa a better place to live perhaps deserves a little less condescension about their being "children."

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 11:39:23 am »

Wow. Adults huh? Like our forward thinking Mayor? Or all the "adults" that let Downtown Tulsa rot and fall far behind other cities? I'm not a member of TYPROS but anyone working to help make Tulsa a better place to live perhaps deserves a little less condescension about their being "children."

Wow!  Took almost two hours for a reply to that!!   Come on kids, can't ya keep up with the old guy...??  

Lol.  As for being serious about that, well, maybe just a tiny bit, but since all my kids, grandkids, and in just about 8 to 10 years, all the great grandkids are gonna be in that group, I am not gonna paint them as well as so many other young people I know with a bad brush.  In fact, I am much more optimistic about y'all than many of the young people I know.  Amazes me at how disparaging you are about each other....

As for Tulsa...yeah...I have been chanting that mantra since the mid-60s - since I was a kid.  Many of those rants can be seen here.  Welcome aboard!!  Hope you got enough energy for the long, LONG, haul !!  Gonna need it....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 12:27:50 pm »

They rub me wrong as well. But not because of their social club status. Everyone gets to decide their own associations. Its because I have twice provided service to some in their group and they have no CPR skills. Courtesy, Politeness, Respect. Add in their obvious hostility for age instead of discerning behaviors and motivations (like the above comment) and yes, they come off as freshmen Greek clubs.

Still, I like their intentions.

onward...through the fog
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 04:05:20 pm »

They rub me wrong as well. But not because of their social club status. Everyone gets to decide their own associations. Its because I have twice provided service to some in their group and they have no CPR skills. Courtesy, Politeness, Respect. Add in their obvious hostility for age instead of discerning behaviors and motivations (like the above comment) and yes, they come off as freshmen Greek clubs.

Still, I like their intentions.

Falls under that category of   ....they don't even know what they don't know yet....

They will figure it out, just like we did.  Everyone I knew when young was exactly the same.  Some were football players on the high school team and even worse!!  Mostly seem to have turned out ok.

Well, then there is also Rick Couri....

davideinstein
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 10:18:03 pm »

There's no way they understand the value of a connectivity argument if you guys don't.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 07:36:17 am »

It is my understanding their leadership wasn't happy with the final Vision package involving items they had lobbied against included, such as the public safety component.  As a result their leadership voted to not endorse the package.  They didn't come out against the package, but didn't actively promote a yes vote.  That is in stark contrast to what the Tulsa Regional Chamber wanted them to do.  I'd say kuddos to their leadership for standing up for what they believed in and not doing exactly what their primary funding source wanted them to do.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 09:21:58 am »

It is my understanding their leadership wasn't happy with the final Vision package involving items they had lobbied against included, such as the public safety component.  As a result their leadership voted to not endorse the package.  They didn't come out against the package, but didn't actively promote a yes vote.  That is in stark contrast to what the Tulsa Regional Chamber wanted them to do.  I'd say kuddos to their leadership for standing up for what they believed in and not doing exactly what their primary funding source wanted them to do.

Good!

Now watch the funding be taken away....

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org