A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:38:12 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SD card problem  (Read 6655 times)
Ed W
City Father

« on: April 12, 2016, 06:27:09 am »

I had an SD card fail just after photographing a bird in the park, one I hadn't seen previously or identified yet. My computer recognizes that the card is present but will not read any data from it. I've tried two popular data recovery utilities without success.

Has anyone recovered images from an apparently dead card, and if so, what program did you use?

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 09:58:53 am »

What brand is the card? SanDisk and Lexmark both provide a license for their own recovery software. It's in the packaging we all throw away without paying attention.

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 11:26:47 am »

I went through that event a couple weeks ago and tried a few.  The one that got me out of that hole was MiniTool Power Data Recovery 7.0.  There is a free version if card is small enough.

I tried the free version, but was size limited (1G IIRC) so had to pay but got back 90 G of stuff.  Relief.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 11:30:03 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 11:32:30 am »

https://www.powerdatarecovery.com/

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 09:20:28 am »

My thanks to both of you. I tried the OEM website and found that their software wouldn't recognize the card either. I tried several others, even some other computers, without any luck. Finally, I put the card back in the camera and tried to reformat it. No dice. It's junk plastic.

But I made a note of the suggestions for the next time, 'cause we all know there WILL be a next time!

Thanks again.

Ed

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 07:48:55 am »

My thanks to both of you. I tried the OEM website and found that their software wouldn't recognize the card either. I tried several others, even some other computers, without any luck. Finally, I put the card back in the camera and tried to reformat it. No dice. It's junk plastic.

But I made a note of the suggestions for the next time, 'cause we all know there WILL be a next time!

Thanks again.

Ouch!  That sucks.

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 12:41:28 pm »

I purchased an 8G backup card at Best Buy yesterday but haven't read the included documentation yet. Gotta find my binocular magnifiers for that.

Just for fun, I've used a 350 meg card in the Olympus E-PL2 because it's almost like shooting film - about 40 exposures when it stores both jpg and raw files.

Ed

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 12:53:17 pm »

SD cards are weird sometimes.  Wrecked the copter around Christmas last year...nothing serious, but the 64gb Sandisk microSD card in the GoPro was toast.  The camera however was just fine.  Couldn't figure that one out.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 05:42:25 pm »

Solid state memoriy chips have a small "leveling" program that seeks to maintain storage by moving the chip internal addresses. So if the microprocessor is writing to address FFFFFFFA, that leveling program will designate multiple physical locations as that address over time. This happens because logical 1s and logical zeroes degrade. The zero voltage increases and the 5 volt logical one decreases. Eventually the memory location becomes unusable and the internal software locks it out. When enough locations do this, the chip fails.

It would be nice to see the number of degraded cells in order to gauge the life expectancy of the chip, but I don't know any way to do that.

Ed

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org