A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:32:06 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quik Trip is going gasless in Atlanta  (Read 16502 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2017, 10:58:29 am »

The power of monopoly and inadequate competition, for whatever reason, is readily apparent in Tulsa today, thanks to Quik-Trip gasoline prices.  And all the 'hanger's on' that are following the lead several weeks after the threat of gas supply disruption is long gone. 

$2.34 a gallon at QT, with the other area little guys hanging in there with them. 

In OKC area, I filled last Friday at $1.99.  Week before that it was $2.04.  (Today it is back up to $2.04.)

Collusion?   Price fixing?  Price gouging during an 'emergency'?

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2017, 12:16:32 pm »

The power of monopoly and inadequate competition, for whatever reason, is readily apparent in Tulsa today, thanks to Quik-Trip gasoline prices.  And all the 'hanger's on' that are following the lead several weeks after the threat of gas supply disruption is long gone. 

$2.34 a gallon at QT, with the other area little guys hanging in there with them. 

In OKC area, I filled last Friday at $1.99.  Week before that it was $2.04.  (Today it is back up to $2.04.)

Collusion?   Price fixing?  Price gouging during an 'emergency'?

Does Oklahoma City have a special summer blend like we do to help with Ozone?
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2017, 12:30:15 pm »

Yes. Tulsa and Oklahoma City both have most suppliers providing a summer blend with lower RVP voluntarily.

That blend season ended last week.

Power is nothing till you use it.
TeeDub
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2017, 01:37:22 pm »

As much as I hate QT, it isn't like the Kum&Go, the Murphy Gas, the Costco gas or anyone else wants to keep up with the discounts in OKC.   I have no idea why there is such a price difference, but I have given up on laying all the blame on QT.

I also have to give QT credit for having some gas when we went to Dallas a couple of weeks ago (we won't talk about the raising of prices to gouge incentivize people to only buy what they needed.)   Most of the little stations were out.   QT still had some supply and lines around the block.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2017, 02:18:13 pm »

As much as I hate QT, it isn't like the Kum&Go, the Murphy Gas, the Costco gas or anyone else wants to keep up with the discounts in OKC.   I have no idea why there is such a price difference, but I have given up on laying all the blame on QT.

I also have to give QT credit for having some gas when we went to Dallas a couple of weeks ago (we won't talk about the raising of prices to gouge incentivize people to only buy what they needed.)   Most of the little stations were out.   QT still had some supply and lines around the block.

QT is the largest.  I would even bet that the rest combined aren't much more than QT alone - if as much.  If the 800 lb gorilla is gonna sit, so is everyone else.  No effective competition.

OKC has a lot of disruption going on between OnCue, 7-11, Love's, Valero.  More scrambling around for the dollar.

Even Siloam Springs and Fayetteville were running around $2.23 yesterday - I filled up there so didn't have to buy QT.

Don't get me wrong - I don't hate QT.  I buy from there probably about 55-60% of the time because of convenience to my local traffic patterns.  And it's always a little bit "comforting" to stop there in St Louis area - a little touch of home...    Kum & Go is getting the other 40% though.  And when I get snacks or fountain drinks, it's definitely Kum & Go.  QT soft drinks suck.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2017, 10:36:58 am »

Gotta love Thornbrugh: "We simply disagree with the comments in the study."

(Therefore we aren't admitting that we monopolize the Tulsa gas market even though we do)

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
joiei
City Father

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2017, 10:52:31 am »

I was in NW Arkansas and Springfield, MO this past weekend.  Gas prices averaged 10 to 20 cents less per gallon. 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org