A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:53:20 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quik Trip is going gasless in Atlanta  (Read 16237 times)
joiei
City Father

« on: March 30, 2016, 09:47:48 pm »

Why can't they do this here?  Downtown?

http://atlanta.curbed.com/2016/3/11/11199972/quicktrip-midtown-atlanta-convenience-store

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 07:34:32 am »

Had always hoped that QT would try this first in their hometown. Well, here's hoping it is a smashing success, since I figure that would bode well for Tulsa getting one in the future. I know Reasor's is putting in a store, but in general I have never thought downtown Tulsa needed a full service grocer. Corner bodega's and such are what will be needed once the roof count gets up a little more. I've always thought a Braum's market type store would be appropriate.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 08:24:30 am »

A few months ago I asked a friend of mine who works at QT HQ if they would please consider something like this for downtown Tulsa. He said "coincidentally, we're having a meeting about a concept design for something like that tomorrow." In hindsight I wonder if he was talking about the Atlanta store of if that's a hint that we, too, could be getting one soon. I can try to follow up.
johrasephoenix
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 08:35:02 am »

Although it's a low bar, a functioning convenience store downtown would go a long way towards making it more livable. 

Downtown is great for now if you want to hit the bar.  But God help you if you want everyday essentials like a Slurpee and smokes.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 08:46:56 am »

Didn't they have gasless stores in the distant past? I could swear there was one on the North side of Sand Springs in the early 1980's that didn't have pumps. They eventually built a new store next to that one and the new one had pumps but I don't remember the original having pumps at all.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 08:48:56 am »

Didn't they have gasless stores in the distant past? I could swear there was one on the North side of Sand Springs in the early 1980's that didn't have pumps. They eventually built a new store next to that one and the new one had pumps but I don't remember the original having pumps at all.

There was one on the Main Mall back in the 80s.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 09:02:38 am »

Did anyone read any of the comments on that article? They talk as if QT is just another 7/11 and "how would this compete with CVS"! I go to QT weekly along with a steady crowd of others while the CVS across the street keeps about 3 cars in the lot. I have never been to a 7/11 even remotely close to a QT. The comments also mention they wish a WaWa would come to Atlanta even though QT consistently beats WaWa out in best convenient store rankings.

I think many citizens everywhere have the grass-is-greener mindset and can't appreciate what we have. QT is the best convenient store chain I've been to. I know WaWa is close, but QT wins with their quick kitchens, hot food and drink selection. I've been to many urban Corner Stores around the country and world and I'd take an urban QT over the lot of them.

Lets hope we get one in downtown soon. This is a great idea and would be an immediate established place with steady business to create more foot traffic.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 09:34:40 am »

There was one on the Main Mall back in the 80s.

http://www.batesline.com/archives/2012/05/quiktrips-attempted-street-snatc.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 09:49:23 am »

The QT on Main isn't a QT anymore, but I think it's still open as a convenience store. There also used to be a convenience store on the first floor of the 1st Place Tower, but that was closed last I knew.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 09:52:15 am »

Wish they could've done this at 36th & Peoria.  Across from TU would also be a good location as far as "outside downtown" locations.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 10:01:32 am »

They didn't put gas pumps in until 1971.  From '57 til then, they were just a store.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 10:10:45 am »

Did anyone read any of the comments on that article? They talk as if QT is just another 7/11 and "how would this compete with CVS"! I go to QT weekly along with a steady crowd of others while the CVS across the street keeps about 3 cars in the lot. I have never been to a 7/11 even remotely close to a QT. The comments also mention they wish a WaWa would come to Atlanta even though QT consistently beats WaWa out in best convenient store rankings.

I think many citizens everywhere have the grass-is-greener mindset and can't appreciate what we have. QT is the best convenient store chain I've been to. I know WaWa is close, but QT wins with their quick kitchens, hot food and drink selection. I've been to many urban Corner Stores around the country and world and I'd take an urban QT over the lot of them.

Lets hope we get one in downtown soon. This is a great idea and would be an immediate established place with steady business to create more foot traffic.

I've worked in downtown Bartlesville for years. There used to be a Conoco station (formerly company owned before they got out of that racket) a block or two south of the main COP campus downtown. It had a steady stream nearly all day of people walking down for drinks mainly and it was no where near the quality a QT is. When word came out they were destroying it, my first thought (hope) was that it was going to be a QT. It's now just more surface parking. There is now a Sonic literally across the street from where this station once stood that I'm sure stays busy as well. The margin on drinks is quit high and I'm sure a store like that could do fine even in as small of an area as Bartlesville is, let alone Tulsa. In fairness, during the daylight hours there is a pretty dense working population of roughly 5,000 people in a really small area, so it's not a tiny market.

You are also very right, that a QT would be a distinct upgrade from many urban corner stores. You would be going to a CVS for entirely different reasons than you would be going to a QT.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 10:12:48 am »

This is where QT was downtown.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1521097,-95.990391,3a,57.5y,298.12h,85.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVtrFxPHAVAQ0fACVjOVcuQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

I think one of their QT Kitchens without pumps would be a good addition down town. It's interesting about the 7-11's in the Atlanta area. I can't speak for those, but there are a large number in California and Oregon that are actually nice and staffed with people that English is not a second or third language for them, and in Oregon, the area that has prepared foods is not self service other than the condiments.

I do miss QT when I was living in Phoenix. People there had a similar attitude about QT when they first started opening stores, then they saw how much nicer they are compared to what Circle K had to offer, and because QT was so much better, it forced Circle K to remodel most all of their stores, and the new ones they built mimicked QT in almost every way.

Circle K version of a QT

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.2964228,-111.7554657,3a,75y,73.5h,92.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s896YIIRLLo_WCUs-j_hMkA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
saintnicster
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 12:22:48 pm »

Although it's a low bar, a functioning convenience store downtown would go a long way towards making it more livable.  

Downtown is great for now if you want to hit the bar.  But God help you if you want everyday essentials like a Slurpee and smokes.

As pointed out above, there is a convenience store downtown on main street, though appears to close at 7.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2016, 12:24:03 pm »

I don't remember getting the same good vibes from the 7-11's in Chicago. They weren't terrible, just no where near the experience at a QT.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8857552,-87.6258367,3a,75y,19.18h,93.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGgarIm1zyNzPT3dFnSYVeg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

By the way, this is a parking garage. 3 store fronts in roughly 75 feet. Be nice to get the same kind of density here. Land is just too cheap apparently.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org