A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:13:56 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2016 Tulsa Athletics Thread  (Read 59481 times)
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« on: March 28, 2016, 08:51:44 pm »

An Open Letter from the Owners
Posted on March 28, 2016
http://www.tulsaathletics.com/news/an-open-letter-from-the-owners/

As most of you may know there is a Vision Package up for vote on April 5th that proposes turning Athletics Stadium into a BMX national headquarters.  We have been asked a number of times what our position is on this vote and although we do not involve the club in political topics, we feel it is important to address this one.

Our position is this: We love Tulsa.

When we started the Tulsa Athletics in 2013, it was with the sole purpose of enriching the soccer and sports culture in our town.  We took a piece of Tulsa history that had been completely removed from the county's property list and once again made it a fun and exciting place to bring the family for a night of supporting your local team (much like the Drillers had done for decades prior to our arrival).  Tulsa showed us that it had been longing for a soccer team to connect with.

The Athletics will no longer be able to play at our current stadium if the Vision vote passes, but we always return to why we started our club in the first place.

We love Tulsa.

We will always give 100% support to building Tulsa.  The Tulsa Athletics are not a roadblock; we are an idea.  We are the idea that any regular Tulsan who has the drive and passion can bring to life something special in our community.  We are not a sports group that will move to Dallas or demand that a city spend its money to support us.  We're just a couple of regular dudes who built a team for the fans, for the players, and for the city.

Over the past three years it has become clear that the Athletics have helped bring a revitalization and an energy to the city.  We take it with great pride that this energy has become a catalyst for our city leaders to conceive these new proposals and endeavors.  Any decision that the fans want we will stand behind and if any Tulsan wants his voice heard, whether it be for or against, then please make sure you vote on April 5th.

Finally, "Is this the end of the Tulsa Athletics?"

Such an important and scary question and the answer is unequivocally - ABSOLUTELY NOT.  The vote could mean that we lose our home come August, but when we sing "Tulsa 'Til I Die," we sing it from the heart.
We are presently exploring several very exciting options and we'd love to hear your feedback.  We love being a part of the sports scene in T-Town, we love utilizing our support to help raise money for local charities, and we love watching teams crumble under the pressure that our fans and players apply when the opposition steps into the arena.

We are Tulsans.  We do not back down from challenges and we certainly do not fear change.

So regardless of how the vote turns out, come down to the old ballpark on May 7th and pull for the Athletics as we once again chase down a National Championship for the city we love.

TTID

Sonny Dalesandro & Dr. Thomas J. Kern
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 10:22:15 pm by TulsaRufnex » Logged

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
davideinstein
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 10:28:17 pm »

Not as much arrogance from the Armory this year. Hope you guys find a home.
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 11:38:16 am »

Athletics Stadium Open Forum
Posted on April 6, 2016

Athletics Family -

Celebrate a Vision for Tulsa with us!

BMX is coming to Tulsa and we welcome them with open arms.  We are excited about the vision Tulsans have for the future of our city.  We welcome any and all things that enrich our local sports scene, while we look forward to a new chapter for sports on this corner.

This means the end of an era for a Tulsa landmark.  How many of us Tulsans have taken in a ball game (of any kind) at this old ball park?  All of us?  That's what we thought.  We personally have our memories - Dr. Kern had his 8th birthday here on baseball card night (I still have my Reuben Sierra).  My dad SWEARS to this day Monty Fariss hit a ball over the Homeland across the street.  The stadium even served as the makeshift home for the original Tulsa Roughnecks of the NASL in 1985.

So celebrate this Tulsa landmark with us!  Soon will be the days when you drive past 15th and Yale and say to your son or daughter: "I remember in 2016 when Dave Leung scored an overtime winner to give the Athletics the national championship."

Let's make this summer special.  Let's give this old girl the proper sendoff this place deserves.  It has given all of us countless memories.

Co-owner and Chairman
Sonny Dalesandro

The Tulsa Athletics will be hosting an open forum concerning the future of the Athletics on Wednesday, April 13th at 6pm at Fassler Hall.  Season ticket holders can also pickup their jerseys and season tickets at this time.  No reservations necessary.  You can purchase season tickets here or order a jersey here. http://www.tulsaathletics.com/merchandise/official-home-jersey-2016/

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 12:37:00 pm »

Possibilities of where they could play?

TU - either the soccer field (would tear it up, could conflict, and seating is very limited), Skelly (huge stadium, crowd would look tiny), plus TU isn't known for hosting many outside events

High School Stadium - numerous high school stadiums are available (or Will Rogers practice field), but it could conflict with the season AND the general nature of the Athletics could be a problem (tailgating, drinking, etc.). There is also a stigma for playing at a high school stadium.

Drillers Stadium - direct competition, too big, too much $, damaging to the field which is already stressed

You could use the erector stands from Driller's to construct a mini-stadium somewhere else:

The Soccer Fields up north - obviously some stands could be brought in, but if the Athletics aren't in the middle of things, they die. Fewer people would drive to 56th St. North for a game.

Put stands up somewhere out east - large hispanic community which already gave Athletics some support, plenty of potential spaces, City land so tailgating and drinking could be allowed. Too far from their core audience?

EXPO - there is under utilized space all around expo. We could finally put something in the "not going to just be a parking lot" parking lot that used to be Bells. It might even be possible to make the Driller's stands into removal seating and roll out a turf field? Probably not, trying to think outside of the box.

Empty parking lots downtown is talking too much $$$...

Make the Rugby field along riverside into a stadium. Obviously open most of the time, but could benefit both Tulsa Rugby and the Athletics.

Ideally near an entertainment area. But dang, hard of think of anywhere realistic.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 02:30:38 pm »

http://ktul.com/news/local/tulsa-athletics-talk-new-home-during-meeting

davideinstein
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 03:52:41 pm »

I watched the whole video on the Facebook page and only Dan made comments about the stadium. Seemed like it was just a season opening bar gig. Was told Sonny admitted there were no plans for a stadium.
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 05:22:07 pm »

Are you always going to be this dismissive of the Tulsa Athletics?
Geez.  What's your problem?

davideinstein
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 05:53:06 pm »

I just didn't see any big discussions on a stadium. I think it would be cool for you guys to get a small soccer specific stadium, but that takes more work that a fan giving a few ideas.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 07:02:58 pm »

It's not any less dismissive than you were when the Roughnecks were announced.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 07:24:27 am »

It's not any less dismissive than you were when the Roughnecks were announced.

Calling it "dismissive" is being really, really kind.
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 12:28:28 pm »

A small part of me will always be angry and bitter about the timing (a matter of weeks after the Athletics drew 3,300 fans per game in their first season) and the general way the Drillers went about entering pro soccer.
ALWAYS.

And I think the Tulsa Athletics deserved better.
Alot better.

John Klein: Lund is hopeful soccer-crazed Tulsa can get NASL team
Posted: Thursday, October 3, 2013 12:00
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/john-klein-lund-is-hopeful-soccer-crazed-tulsa-can-get/article_7e301e19-ba72-59d7-9bf9-54a73706b386.html
They have been in discussions with the University of Tulsa to use Chapman Stadium as a temporary home until a soccer-specific stadium can be funded and built somewhere in the metropolitan area.

The group, which hopes to secure the rights to the Roughnecks name, has met with Tulsa's two mayoral candidates and at least one suburban city.

"I feel very confident at this point that we will be granted a franchise," Lund said. "We are pretty far down that road.

Tulsa Athletics officials in discussions with NASL for pro soccer status
Posted: Thursday, May 1, 2014
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/soccer/tulsa-athletics-officials-in-discussions-with-nasl-for-pro-soccer/article_516c8411-c551-5d95-b8d2-7e7f13be80cb.html
"They've (NASL officials) been to Tulsa on a couple of occasions, and our field now meets the standards of the NASL," Dalesandro said Wednesday. "We stated about a year ago that our goal wasn't to start and end in the NPSL, and we're going to continue to press in the right direction to bring a major league sports franchise here."
"We are continuing to develop this stadium into the finest soccer-specific stadium that we can in Tulsa right now," Dalesandro said.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 12:32:40 pm by TulsaRufnex » Logged

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 12:39:20 pm »

A small part of me will always be angry and bitter about the timing (a matter of weeks after the Athletics drew 3,300 fans per game in their first season) and the general way the Drillers went about entering pro soccer.
ALWAYS.

And I think the Tulsa Athletics deserved better.
Alot better.

John Klein: Lund is hopeful soccer-crazed Tulsa can get NASL team
Posted: Thursday, October 3, 2013 12:00
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/john-klein-lund-is-hopeful-soccer-crazed-tulsa-can-get/article_7e301e19-ba72-59d7-9bf9-54a73706b386.html
Tulsa Athletics officials in discussions with NASL for pro soccer status
Posted: Thursday, May 1, 2014
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/soccer/tulsa-athletics-officials-in-discussions-with-nasl-for-pro-soccer/article_516c8411-c551-5d95-b8d2-7e7f13be80cb.html

As I said when you originally posted that, you don't want Jeff Lund within 1000 miles of a sports franchise if you want it to succeed.  He almost ran the Oilers into the ground.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
davideinstein
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 03:53:55 pm »

Nothing stopped Sonny from making the Athletics an NASL team. Totally different league than USL. OKC metro now has both and they both brought over 5k last week to each last week.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 03:57:01 pm by davideinstein » Logged
davideinstein
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 04:00:58 pm »

These Athletic guys just bash the hell out of the Roughnecks. I could go on for days about it. At the end of the day, the Roughnecks will be around next year and the Athletics Stadium will be under construction for a BMX headquarters. You tell me which club had the better plan for pro soccer in Tulsa...
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2016, 06:37:11 pm »

Sad news to hear about the Tulsa Athletics.  The NPSL Athletics & USL Roughnecks have passionate fan bases.  Having two competitive semi professional soccer teams can be a good thing.   Whatever you do don't let it divide your city and fan base. 

Tulsa has a great professional soccer history dating back to the early years of the original NASL Tulsa Roughnecks.   Personally feel that your soccer fan base may be larger than you realize.

OKC has two teams, the NASL in suburban Yukon, OK and the USL Energy FC who play at historic Taft Stadium.  So far, both franchises have started out doing great; averaging over 6,000 fans thru two home games each--both franchises televise their home games locally.   You have a much stronger & larger soccer community fan base than OKC.   

You need to get your soccer community together; plan to propose something for the next Vision 2025 Initiative like a soccer specific stadium; something seating around 11,000 as a starter (around $25 million) with future expansion plans.

City of Sacramento (home of USL Republic) constructed & expanded Bonney Field (CAL EXPO - soccer & rugby) to 11,500 seating capacity in 2014 & 2015 for around $3.5 million. 

Tulsa deserves a chance to return to the NASL era of the late 70s & 80s.  Who knows, you could eventually need around 20,000 seats.

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org