A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:24:21 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Attended My First Local Gov't (BOA) Meeting Today  (Read 2147 times)
Steve
« on: July 12, 2005, 07:56:46 pm »

I attended my first local government meeting today, the Board of Adjustment meeting, at the City Council meeting room.  It was an "eye opener" for me as I have never attended city meetings in my 47 years as a Tulsa citizen.

No big revelations to relay, but I want to encourage all citizens to attend a city council meeting or zoning board meeting, if only for the experience and to see the local process in action.

I attended for the zoning appeal of the Community of Hope Church at 25th and S. Yale.  Some local residents on the north of this property in the Gracemont subdivision had complained that the HIV testing site operated by this church was inappropriate for a church and its proximity to their neighborhood.  I live in the Lortondale addition, immediately south of the church property, and received notice of the hearing in the mail.

The BOA was sympathetic to some of the neighborhood concerns, but declined to overturn the previous BOA decision allowing the testing activity on this site.  The Board of Adjustment stated, rightfully so, that the neighbors complaints were mostly code enforcement issues and not a matter for the zoning committee.  I was there in support of the church, and I applaud the BOA for their intelligent questions, and their ability to see through the unfounded claims of the protestors.  

A very worthwhile experience, not just because I agree with the BOA decision, but to see the process in action.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 09:51:29 pm by Steve » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org