A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:52:36 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on passing a cyclist  (Read 9011 times)
joiei
City Father

« on: June 22, 2016, 12:34:00 pm »

Just found this posted by a Mobilian
https://www.facebook.com/DrVali/videos/10203938710408832/

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 12:47:05 pm »

Thanks, joiei.

I'd never seen Mobile's skyline before watching this video.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 01:02:37 pm »

Good video.  Nitpicking here, but was it just me or did it look as if the car passed in a no passing zone?  Looked like washed out double yellows to me.

Thanks for posting, I shared it on a cycling page I moderate on FB.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 03:21:48 pm »

It's routine to be passed in a double yellow. I've even had cops do it.  The single time it was an issue was when a woman steadfastly refused to pass me because there was a TCSO officer behind her. He then pulled me over and tried to give me an attitude adjustment by threatening to cite me for impeding. That didn't work.

My criticism of this video would advise the cyclist to ride further left in the lane, putting at least a third of it to his right or half if the lane is narrow. It discourages motorists from trying to 'squeeze by' and makes the cyclist far more noticeable.

It isn't rocket science. Just wait until it's safe to pass. A few seconds delay isn't going to ruin your day, and both you and the cyclist will be home that night.

And if you want to read about my encounter, use this link. Remember, however, that at the time 129th in Owasso was still a two lane street. I did follow up with Stanley Glanz. That did not go well either.

http://cycledog.blogspot.com/2005/08/first.html
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 03:31:51 pm by Ed W » Logged

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 05:20:26 pm »

It isn't rocket science. Just wait until it's safe to pass. A few seconds delay isn't going to ruin your day, and both you and the cyclist will be home that night.

A few seconds delay always seems to ruin someone's day, especially if the delay happens to be on four-lane Peoria Avenue at 5:15 on a Monday afternoon, even when it's relatively safe and easy to pass a cyclist without crossing any double yellow lines.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 07:09:47 pm »

The very widest lanes here are 14 feet, with most being closer to 12. A cyclist should be 3 feet from the right side of the lane - not the curb because the gutter is not safely rideable. State law requires a motorist to pass with at least 3 feet between him and the cyclist and since the average automobile is 8 feet wide, that adds up to 14. In the average 12 foot lane there isn't enough space to travel side by side.

Just change lanes to pass. It's easy.

Ed

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 07:33:48 pm »

Keep in mind the video was not about cyclist behavior, it was about proper behavior if you are a motorist approaching a cyclist, regardless if the cyclist wants to be a stupid gutter hugger.

Minimum of 3 feet is the law.  I don’t feel that comfortable when I’m on a bike with 3 feet of margin and even less comfortable with that margin when I’m driving the car that is over-taking the cyclist because some cyclists are very unpredictable and not overly aware of their surroundings.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rebound
City Father

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 08:00:31 pm »

A few seconds delay always seems to ruin someone's day, especially if the delay happens to be on four-lane Peoria Avenue at 5:15 on a Monday afternoon, even when it's relatively safe and easy to pass a cyclist without crossing any double yellow lines.

Was that you on the bike?   Smiley    You seem particularly hung up on that example.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 10:03:25 pm »

since the average automobile is 8 feet wide, 

What do you drive? 

My car is just under 6' wide + about 6"/side for mirrors.

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 07:54:11 am »

What do you drive? 

I have a 2007 Pontiac Gran Prix, and I think that it's 8 feet wide, windows included. I once ha a 1964 Lincoln Continental, and although I don't know how wide it was, it did have a hangar deck.

I'll check the Pontiac.

Ed

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 07:54:14 am »

What do you drive? 

8’ would be your average LTL semi truck.  8.5’ for an over the road semi trailer most definitely not the average car unless that car was a Hummer.

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 09:43:17 am »

The Pontiac is indeed 6 feet wide, with mirrors extending another 6 inches on either side for a total of 7 feet. I stand corrected. But it's still too wide to safely share an average lane with a cyclist. It's always a good idea to check the data.

Ed

Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 04:37:53 pm »

Was that you on the bike?   Smiley

No.

...it's not when and where I would choose to ride...

You seem particularly hung up on that example.

I doubt if I ever would have known anything about that particular example, had you not chosen to post about it.

I rarely see cyclists on Tulsa's arterials in evening traffic.  In fact, I rarely see cyclists on Tulsa's arterials at any time.  When I'm driving and do see them, I just slow down for a few moments.  Sharing public roads with pedestrians and bicycles is not a problem for me.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 05:30:10 pm »

The Pontiac is indeed 6 feet wide, with mirrors extending another 6 inches on either side for a total of 7 feet. I stand corrected. But it's still too wide to safely share an average lane with a cyclist. It's always a good idea to check the data.

I agree that there is just not enough room to share a lane.  An average car width of 8 ft (+ mirrors?) seemed a bit too wide though.

Just for grins, I looked up the current generation of Chevy Silverado.  Max 80" (6' 8")  without mirrors.  Some wide mirrors could easily get that to 8'.   Back in the days before rocks turned to dirt, I think about 8' was the widest allowed without some kind of permit.  A boat our family had in the 60s was just shy of 8' which made towing a non-issue.

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2016, 09:32:57 am »

Just be smart about it...There are some hostiles clucks in vehicles around....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org