A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:52:50 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coming soon to Tulsa: Bob Dylan Archives  (Read 36585 times)
saintnicster
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 08:50:43 am »

What building do we think it will be in?
http://www.gkff.org/bobdylancenter/

the "Tulsa Paper Company Building", which currently has Zarrow and Philbrook Downtown. 
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 12:04:47 pm »

the "Tulsa Paper Company Building", which currently has Zarrow and Philbrook Downtown. 

Would those institutions be relocating? It doesn't seem plausible that every museum in town is going to maintain a branch in a single building downtown.
saintnicster
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2017, 12:42:45 pm »

Would those institutions be relocating? It doesn't seem plausible that every museum in town is going to maintain a branch in a single building downtown.
That I couldn't quite figure out.

My WAG aligns with is that since TU is partnering with them on the archive, they would at the very least, re-purpose the "Zarrow Center for Art & Education" to become the Bob Dylan Center.  The "TPC Bid Documents" link included the engineering plans for both spaces, so heck, they may even be replacing both.  EDIT - But my gut feeling says it'll be just Zarrow.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 12:50:49 pm by saintnicster » Logged
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2017, 07:08:27 pm »

Would someone be moving to the new building? I thought for sure the Dylan center would go in there.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2017, 03:47:41 pm »

Would someone be moving to the new building? I thought for sure the Dylan center would go in there.

So it appears the new Archer building is filling up, so I don't think anything will relocate there on account of the Dylan archives:

When the building is fully completed by spring 2017, it will feature 35 Tulsa Artist Fellowship (TAF) work studios, 14 TAF apartments and 10 ground-floor retail spaces.
With nine of the 10 retail tenants confirmed, the building will include Strange Donuts, Goods Bodega, Lone Wolf restaurant and bar, Glacier Confection, Holy Mountain Records, Magic City Books, and Made.
http://gtrnews.com/greater-tulsa-reporter/14554/east-village-brady-see-new-projects

The linked GKFF page indicates that the Zarrow Center space is up for redevelopment as the Bob Dylan Center,  but the comment from the Kaiser website doesn't mention Philbrook:

The below PDF files highlight the space within the Tulsa Paper Company building that will be dedicated to the Bob Dylan Center.  This space, currently called the Zarrow Center for Art and Education, has approximately 18,000 square feet dedicated to programming. The basement is approximately 6,000 additional square feet of space dedicated to storage and mechanical systems. Apart from signage, the Bob Dylan Center project will be primarily an interior renovation and exhibit design project and will not require many, if any, changes to the exterior of the building.

I hope Zarrow relocates.  If so, where?

And is Philbrook affected by the Dylan Center or not?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2017, 05:01:50 pm »

So it appears the new Archer building is filling up, so I don't think anything will relocate there on account of the Dylan archives:
http://gtrnews.com/greater-tulsa-reporter/14554/east-village-brady-see-new-projects

The linked GKFF page indicates that the Zarrow Center space is up for redevelopment as the Bob Dylan Center,  but the comment from the Kaiser website doesn't mention Philbrook:

I hope Zarrow relocates.  If so, where?

And is Philbrook affected by the Dylan Center or not?

Kaiser is also redeveloping a building on the far north edge of downtown. Maybe there as well
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2017, 10:16:27 am »

Is this the Kaiser Development you were thinking about?

The George Kaiser Family Foundation recently purchased the land that now houses the old Western Supply warehouses at 424 North Boulder. GKFF is asking for $306,000 for streetscaping around that area, but they are still being tight-lipped about exactly what they plan to develop there.
http://www.newson6.com/story/32946944/kaiser-foundation-other-groups-plan-for-brady-district-development

If that is in the cards as more art space or apartments (or other projects the GKFF has been working on) it would really widen the livelyl portion of the Brady District.  Coupled with OK Pop basically right across the street, and Cains, the new apartments, the parking garage... that corner of Brady could really take off and hopefully bleed into the empty lots just north of 244.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2018, 09:43:56 am »

They announced today this is going to be located on the parking lot at Archer & MLK next to AHHA and across from Lone Wolf.  Another parking lot biting the dust along Archer!  I haven't seen any renderings except for this one:

TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2018, 09:56:20 am »

Bob Dylan Center taking shape in Tulsa with location, opening date, design firm finalized

The center will be at Archer Street and MLK Boulevard and is set to open in 2021

Olson Kundig, a Seattle architectural firm whose projects include the recent upgrade of Seattle’s iconic Space Needle, has been selected by the George Kaiser Family Foundation as lead architect and exhibit designer for The Bob Dylan Center, the future home of the Bob Dylan Archives.

The foundation also finalized the location of the center, now set to open in 2021. The new building will be constructed on what is now a parking lot at the corner of Archer Street and Martin Luther King Boulevard in the Tulsa Arts District, just east of the Hardesty Arts Center.

Olson Kundig won first place in the international design competition following an extensive evaluation process by a committee of advisers, including representatives of the George Kaiser Family Foundation and Bob Dylan’s management team.

Tulsa-based Lilly Architects is partnering with Olson Kundig as the architect of record for the project and Plains of Yonder is the partner for audio and multimedia experiences for the project.

“After reviewing proposals from top firms around the world, we agreed that Olson Kundig’s experience, talent and design aesthetic stood out as the best fit for this project,” said Ken Levit, executive director of the George Kaiser Family Foundation. “We’re excited about the vision that Olson Kundig expressed for a world-class cultural center that will do justice to the iconic Bob Dylan collection.”

This will be the firm’s first project in Oklahoma. Among its other projects are the visitors center at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the Bezos Center for Innovation at the Museum of History and Industry in Seattle, the headquarters for the South Korean luxury clothiers Shinsegae International and the Marriott Los Cabos Resort and Spa in Mexico.

Tom Kundig, architecture design principal for Olson Kundig said, “This is a deeply meaningful project for us — not only acting as architectural support to Bob’s transformational legacy and creative, disciplined force, but also in preserving the teaching value of his legacy for future generations.”

Alan Maskin, design principal of exhibits for Olson Kundig said: “Since the 1960s, I have been inspired by the role that change and reinvention have played in the creative life of Bob Dylan. I’m grateful to the George Kaiser Foundation and the Dylan Center Advisory Council for selecting our team to reveal and share the treasure of a largely unseen archive to future audiences in perpetuity.”

In 2016, Dylan cited the Woody Guthrie Center, which the Kaiser foundation established in 2013 after acquiring the archives of the influential folk songwriter, as one of the reasons he chose Tulsa for his own archives.

“I’m glad that my archives, which have been collected all these years, have finally found a home and are to be included with the works of Woody Guthrie and especially alongside all the valuable artifacts from the Native American Nations (in Philbrook Downtown). To me, it makes a lot of sense and it’s a great honor,” Dylan said.

The center, dedicated to the study and appreciation of Dylan and his worldwide cultural significance, is expected to open in 2021. In the interim, the foundation plans to stage an ongoing series of Dylan-related Tulsa events under the banner of The Bob Dylan Center. Information on these events will be posted at bobdylancenter.com.

The center will be readily accessible by artists, historians, musicologists, cultural critics and the public seeking a deeper comprehension of Dylan’s work, the myriad of influences that it embodies and the offshoots that he has inspired.

The center will coexist and interact with two related entities: The Bob Dylan Archive, located at the Helmerich Center for American Research at Gilcrease Museum, the archives’ permanent repository accessible only to qualified researchers and scholars; and The Institute for Bob Dylan Studies at the University of Tulsa, an academic program focused on Dylan and related cultural subjects.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/artsandentertainment/bob-dylan-center-taking-shape-in-tulsa-with-location-opening/article_ed84af43-8115-5bb7-9d28-d562b2cff543.html
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2018, 10:00:45 am »

The new building will be constructed on what is now a parking lot at the corner of Archer Street and Martin Luther King Boulevard in the Tulsa Arts District, just east of the Hardesty Arts Center.

Another parking lot bites the dust. I do wonder where the parking for Hardesty, Zarrow and other museums will be. Hopefully a parking solution is planned because that area is already mostly full all the time and no parking will deter museum visitors.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2018, 10:11:14 am »

Isn't it ironic how such an extremist right wing state can give so much lip service to such not extremist right wing performers...?   We love our Woody Guthrie, U2, and Bob Dylan...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2018, 03:59:12 pm »

Isn't it ironic how such an extremist right wing state can give so much lip service to such not extremist right wing performers...?   We love our Woody Guthrie, U2, and Bob Dylan...

Not at all. The people funding the Bob Dylan, Woody Guthrie museums are liberal democrats (GKFF) and they're going in to a liberal area and it is publicized by a more moderate-to-liberal-leaning newspaper.

Also, most people can separate music and politics. You can love the music and hate their sometimes-moronic opinions.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2018, 04:03:58 pm »

Not at all. The people funding the Bob Dylan, Woody Guthrie museums are liberal democrats (GKFF) and they're going in to a liberal area and it is publicized by a more moderate-to-liberal-leaning newspaper.

Also, most people can separate music and politics. You can love the music and hate their sometimes-moronic opinions.

Lot of people I saw at the U2 concert that couldn't.  If you go to a U2 concert not expecting some politics thrown in that you may or may not like, then you're just not well-informed.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2018, 04:26:40 pm »

It's one of those "lead a horse to water" things - just because it's there doesn't mean all right wingers must partake.  And they must be, 'cause I don't think there are enough moderates and lefties to support all that.  Guthrie festival in particular...

Yeah, maybe like Ted Nugent?   Or Toby Keith...  I see what you are saying - there are a lot of their supporters around too, supporting their moronic opinions!   Even some other than RWRE...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2018, 12:05:48 am »

Actually, I wouldn't consider GKFF "Liberal Democrats" at least not Mr. Kaiser or Kenny Levitt.  Just caring and thinking people with progressive ideas.  Not sure about Kenny, but I know Mr. Kaiser has contributed to quite a few Republican candidates and causes and I do believe Phil Lakin, who sits on the board of GKFF and is the director of TCF, another GK initiative is a registered Republican.

The older I get, the less I recognize "conservative" or "liberal" and the more I recognize original thought and rational discussion. 

Tulsa would be such a different place without George Kaiser and the visionaries he's hired to work for him.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org