A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:51:44 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coming soon to Tulsa: Bob Dylan Archives  (Read 36599 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« on: March 02, 2016, 08:56:54 am »

http://www.newson6.com/story/31363617/bob-dylans-archives-coming-to-tulsa

The GKFF and the University of Tulsa have acquired the Bob Dylan Archives and intend to build a permanent home for them in the Brady Arts District.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 09:07:21 am »

Great news!

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
davideinstein
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 09:08:38 pm »

Awesome.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 09:05:20 am »

http://www.newson6.com/story/31363617/bob-dylans-archives-coming-to-tulsa

The GKFF and the University of Tulsa have acquired the Bob Dylan Archives and intend to build a permanent home for them in the Brady Arts District.

I wonder where this will be. It mentions a place in the Brady District nearby the Woody Guthrie Center  but also sounds like some stuff might be put in the Guthrie Center (could be good if used as a promo for the other, but could confuse some into thinking that is all there is).

Wherever it goes, it could be a good tourism draw if done and marketed well (them being chosen over 2 other places is a good sign they have some nice plans)

Lots of great stuff coming to the Brady District! This is really creating a museum hub for Tulsa/Oklahoma (OK Pop Museum will  be right there also). Really happy about GKFF and TU's support of Tulsa!
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 09:19:26 am »

The Guthrie Center is fully utilized. There is ~1500 square feet of open space used for traveling exhibits, I could see that temporarily showing some Dylan exhibits... but nothing permanent. The Dylan Archive ($15-20mil) apparently dwarfs the Guthrie Center ($3mil) in scale.

The University of Tulsa and Guthrie (via GKFF) have space along Brady across from Guthrie Green.  A large reason they won the bid is because of how well Gilcrease is managed by TU and how well the Guthrie transaction went with GKFF. Gilcrease is archiving some of the items now, but Gilcrease has no presence int he Brady. I'm assuming they want to get a presence there and this is a great way of doing it.

GKFF happens to own several tracks of land across from Griffin Media (north of Gypsy Coffee) that are underutilized, BOK Foundation also owns the rest of the building on Archer where the library is going in, and BOK owns the entire block where the Pop Museum is going and the block to the east of there. Plenty of land held by partner entities in the area to build on. Also some under utilized old buildings still hovering around the immediate area (though the number is dwindling).

The speculation will be fun!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 09:21:17 am »

m

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 09:35:17 am »

The Guthrie Center is fully utilized. There is ~1500 square feet of open space used for traveling exhibits, I could see that temporarily showing some Dylan exhibits... but nothing permanent. The Dylan Archive ($15-20mil) apparently dwarfs the Guthrie Center ($3mil) in scale.

The University of Tulsa and Guthrie (via GKFF) have space along Brady across from Guthrie Green.  A large reason they won the bid is because of how well Gilcrease is managed by TU and how well the Guthrie transaction went with GKFF. Gilcrease is archiving some of the items now, but Gilcrease has no presence int he Brady. I'm assuming they want to get a presence there and this is a great way of doing it.

GKFF happens to own several tracks of land across from Griffin Media (north of Gypsy Coffee) that are underutilized, BOK Foundation also owns the rest of the building on Archer where the library is going in, and BOK owns the entire block where the Pop Museum is going and the block to the east of there. Plenty of land held by partner entities in the area to build on. Also some under utilized old buildings still hovering around the immediate area (though the number is dwindling).

The Zarrow Center is Gilcrease/TU

https://gilcrease.org/zarrow/

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 11:31:09 am »

The Zarrow Center is Gilcrease/TU

https://gilcrease.org/zarrow/

I knew it was TU, the entire theme is the same as all renovated buildings at TU. The doors say University of Tulsa, they have student exhibits, etc. But in my numerous trips to exhibits and events there, I've never associated it with Gilcrease. The website indicates the arts classes are sponsored by Gilcrease.... who knew?

Not much of a presence for Gilcrease, which has 5 times the exhibits than it can display in its current campus. The Dylan Archives could easily fill a museum, Gilcrease could easily fill another. I can't imagine not having a stand alone facility.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 12:24:47 pm »

Who is going to translate.....

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 12:29:55 pm »

Who is going to translate.....

Tom Petty of course
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 12:33:52 pm »

Tom Petty of course

That made me laugh....!!!

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 12:47:43 pm »

That made me laugh....!!!

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/weekend-update-segment---dana-carvey-as-bob-dylan/n10039
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 04:07:28 pm »

The answer is blowing in the wind..
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 12:36:41 pm »

Massive Bob Dylan Archive Opens in Oklahoma
Tulsa collection available to researchers, with planned public center in the works

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/massive-bob-dylan-archive-opens-in-oklahoma-w473929

Select items from the collection will eventually be exhibited at the Bob Dylan Center, the primary public venue for the archive. The George Kaiser Family Foundation's Executive Director Ken Levit, and University of Tulsa President Gerard Clancy, announced that they are now accepting design proposals for the Bob Dylan Center, which will be housed in an existing building in Tulsa's Brady Arts District. An expected opening date has yet to be announced.

Design proposal submissions go here:
http://www.gkff.org/bobdylancenter/

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 05:58:08 pm »

What building do we think it will be in?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org