A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:06:41 pm
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Magic City Books / Archer Building  (Read 50442 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2016, 07:33:24 pm »

I think part of the locals longevity is that they have different standards for fiscal success. Or even personal success. Investors in chains want a certain roi or they grouse and bolt. Many local restaurants are run by past employees of chains or large successful locals. They rely on family, friends and self deprivation to achieve their dreams of success. And if they manage to employ cousins, aunts, and friends to survive its even more of a success.

Related. I ate at Calaveras Mexican last nite at Admiral and Lewis in the old Whittier Square. I spent much of my youth in the fifties/sixties in that area. I loved it. Obviously a family operated restaurant with a very adventurous menu stuffed into what used to be a Crown Drugstore way back. I would go to this place over any chain for real Mexican food served quickly with hospitality. And the area is coming back to life so I want to support that growth.

We’ve eaten at Calveras several times.  Next time after dinner, walk back to the east across Lewis.  There is a great Mexican bakery that’s perfect for a little after dinner treat.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2016, 10:59:53 pm »

I have actually never been more hopeful about what is happening in our downtown.  This may sound a bit crazy but many of you know I am a Disney nut so what the heck... I have always had the notion that downtown Tulsa could kind of be a sort of DisneyWorld or Downtown Disney, mixed in with a real city.  (Remember Disney World is about 43 square miles and employs over 70,000 people and has a payroll of over 1.2 billion per year [not including the other companies on its property] so its no small potatoes) and hosts over 50 MILLION visitors per year.  Part of Walts original vision was to recreate a perceived, childhood memories, once upon a time, perfect small town atmosphere mixed with magic and stories.  Epcot was the future city "Experimental Prototype City Of Tomorrow".  And I have watched as Downtown Disney (World not Land) grow and grow and grow and stay extremely busy.  However, a "real" city, like London can have so many wonderful "attractions" from small little streets with unique and quirky shops and cafe's to great stores like Harrods, Museums, and great history and the incredible stories and architecture that go with that, wonderful public spaces and so fourth.  (Is one reason I think the European parks struggle so much is because they are competing with the cities that themselves have so many interesting things to see and do compared with so many American cities)

My hope was to bring in more tourists to downtown with the Tulsa Art Deco Museum.  We have some incredible architecture and stories. I would love to be a part of creating some magical places to explore and shop, etc.

Looks like in a way Kaiser and his organizations have a similar vision. They are doing a lot of the things I would be doing, if I had that kind of money. (Actually I would be building an Art Deco Disney World if I had that kind of money lol but I digress) and they are seeking out partners like Magic City Books and the Chocolate Factory, helping to build Museums, the park, bringing in stories and history with Woody Guthrie & Bob Dylan, etc.

Then mix that in with Santa Fe Square and what other local people are doing around downtown.  If we all keep heading in the direction of building a wonderful downtown full of great attractions, interesting architecture, great public spaces, great stories and history, art and entertainment, walkable places, and so fourth.... I think we are going to have an incredible downtown!  

I hope that many of the little local places can grow or better themselves if they wish and can turn into more wonderful, unique and special places that people from around the world will enjoy.  Our downtown is small enough that we can really do some things that will have a great impact on its over all character so that we can stand out and be unique compared to other cities.  

I also think there is a difference between having a chain like a Mc Donalds on a corner versus a Rainforest Cafe and having that mixed in with local restaurants that can grow with the downtown into "you have got to try this" places/attractions of their own.  And then around the corner the quieter, unique, downtown neighborhoods with their own little cafes and shops by where people live (the Resorts).  But, when we do get a chain like say a Starbucks it should be one of the best and most interesting of them.  It should feel it needs to reflect the quality and uniqueness of the area.  Had one of my friends who ran over to the Starbucks at Downtown Disney when we were working there and when he got back to the group was like "Omg, you should have seen that Starbucks!" That, is what you want for your downtown if your going to have chains.  Even the chains should be something special. Downtown should imho be something special.  Not just another place like everywhere else but taller and more dense.  And if I can do anything to help with that, I will.  And when you support the local businesses and help them thrive, you are a part of creating that as well. But even Disney knows you have to have it be pedestrian friendly which includes having lots of unique and interesting things to see.  That you have to have great transit and multiple types of transit.  You need it to be clean, have a variety of things to see and do and explore. Lots of greenery is good, hearing music outside can be soothing, interesting and attractive, stories and history are important, etc. etc. and that above all, keep in mind that the greatest attraction of all is, are, The People themselves.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 11:17:21 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
davideinstein
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2016, 04:32:09 pm »

I'm a tad worried about the Deco. We have two shops in the Philcade that just moved out. I'm not sure if they went out of business or moved, but I don't like empty store fronts. I love that you've upgraded your shop though.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2016, 07:14:49 pm »

I'm a tad worried about the Deco. We have two shops in the Philcade that just moved out. I'm not sure if they went out of business or moved, but I don't like empty store fronts. I love that you've upgraded your shop though.

It's a tough area.  Hopefully we will get another restaurant or two and things will pick up. Living in the area will help but probably not as much as people think. Hotels are probably better. Would love to see some more larger shops that can have a broader variety of stuff.  Just doing something like a small amount of women's apparel and the such is a tough sell in this area unless you really have something unique or "in" and with a lot of buzz.

Again, with retail in an urban environment you need to be off a high traffic area where lots of people walk.  Near a transit station helps. That is typically where you see lots of shops in other cities (or you get lots of shops in one spot and the transit follows).  And "destination" type things help too (lots of shops/restaurants can be a destination).  Our downtown is still very "amorphous" spread out and unsettled. 

It could end up that there is no retail in the Deco District (with me moving somewhere else) and just mostly daytime eateries.  Just depends on how things fill in.  And that is up to the city and or the building owners/developers.  It's their choice.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
davideinstein
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2016, 07:23:46 pm »

It's a tough area.  Hopefully we will get another restaurant or two and things will pick up. Living in the area will help but probably not as much as people think. Hotels are probably better. Would love to see some more larger shops that can have a broader variety of stuff.  Just doing something like a small amount of women's apparel and the such is a tough sell in this area unless you really have something unique or "in" and with a lot of buzz.

Again, with retail in an urban environment you need to be off a high traffic area where lots of people walk.  Near a transit station helps. That is typically where you see lots of shops in other cities (or you get lots of shops in one spot and the transit follows).  And "destination" type things help too (lots of shops/restaurants can be a destination).  Our downtown is still very "amorphous" spread out and unsettled. 

It could end up that there is no retail in the Deco District (with me moving somewhere else) and just mostly daytime eateries.  Just depends on how things fill in.  And that is up to the city and or the building owners/developers.  It's their choice.

I want a pub or two. Keeps people around the area after 5pm for guys like you and gives us the option to become a late night store. I think pubs/retail go together well.
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2016, 04:37:28 pm »

I walked by today, and the building is looking wonderful.

Lilly Architects does a good job with the old building rehab projects.

It's nice to see the former windows and doors being re-opened.  Many lintels are in place already.  It's mostly a matter of removing the infill walls below the existing lintels, but it's transforming the façades tremendously.  It might sound a bit odd and geeky, but I sorta/kinda felt as though the building gave me a hug as I walked in its shadow, along the public sidewalk.

Ghost signs are being revealed on the Detroit Avenue façade.  At least two signs were painted near the M.B. Archer Street corner, and I hope more ghost signs will be discovered on the south façade.
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2016, 05:31:47 pm »

The Archer Building, a warehouse owned by BOKF Foundation in the Brady District (the big, white building on Archer, between Cincinnati and Detroit) will soon become home to art studios, apartments, and almost a dozen retailers, including Holy Mountain Records, a second Glacier Confectioners location named Chocolate City, a nonprofit book store, Magic City Books...

...and Strange Donuts.

hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2016, 07:15:56 am »

I can't wait for Magic City books to open. Tulsa is lacking in bookstores. Are there any other good used book stores besides Gardners? That place is too overwhelming.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2016, 07:41:53 am »

My hope was to bring in more tourists to downtown with the Tulsa Art Deco Museum.  We have some incredible architecture and stories. I would love to be a part of creating some magical places to explore and shop, etc.

Looks like in a way Kaiser and his organizations have a similar vision. They are doing a lot of the things I would be doing, if I had that kind of money. (Actually I would be building an Art Deco Disney World if I had that kind of money lol but I digress) and they are seeking out partners like Magic City Books and the Chocolate Factory, helping to build Museums, the park, bringing in stories and history with Woody Guthrie & Bob Dylan, etc.

I am sure you have already thought about this as funding mechanism... Kickstarter or other crowd funding thing??

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2016, 08:24:47 am »

I can't wait for Magic City books to open. Tulsa is lacking in bookstores. Are there any other good used book stores besides Gardners? That place is too overwhelming.

There is a used bookstore in Promenade mall that I have frequently bought books from. Very knowledgeable staff.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2016, 11:10:38 am »

Don't forget your current downtown bookstore "DECOPOLIS Books" https://www.facebook.com/DecopolisBooks/   we are constantly growing and adding a greater variety of classic novels, gift books, childrens books, etc. at our new bigger location!

TylerBGoode
Activist

« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2016, 07:42:24 am »

Don't forget your current downtown bookstore "DECOPOLIS Books" https://www.facebook.com/DecopolisBooks/   we are constantly growing and adding a greater variety of classic novels, gift books, childrens books, etc. at our new bigger location!

The Hard Case crime books are a lot of fun. Highly recommended.
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2016, 03:13:01 pm »

Yesterday I walked by and noticed a few more ghost signs that are being uncovered on the M.B. Archer Street façade:

"Minneapolis Brewing Co."
"The Foos Engine Co."
"Gustin-Bacon Mfg Co."

Near the Detroit Avenue corner:  "J.P. Camp Co." (I think -- can't tell for sure)

There are several more, but they're not legible to me, yet.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 03:47:57 pm by Bamboo World » Logged
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2017, 08:43:43 am »

In the newest Tulsa People there was a small paragraph about the businesses that are going to be in this building. One new name was "Goods Bodega." Does anyone know what this is? Is it an actual bodega like you'd see in New York because that is just what the Brady needs and I'd be super excited to be able to by QT style groceries.

Just found this small blurb:

"A corner market with delectable offerings and convenience items for Downtown."

Hopefully will be a better selection and price point than Archer Market.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 08:56:38 am by hello » Logged

Tulsa Zephyr
Activist

« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2017, 06:57:07 pm »

FYI, my wife and I were having a drink at the bar at the Rusty Crane when a reporter from Fox 23 came in with a camera and asked us what we thought about the new construction going on across the street.  We spoke to her on camera for about 5 minutes.  One of her questions was "Aren't you happy that downtown will have a bookstore?" and I replied that downtown already has a bookstore and mentioned Decopolis by name.  Of course that comment didn't make it to air.

"My ambition is handicapped by laziness."  Charles Bukowski
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org