A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:55:20 pm
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2016 Tulsa County Sheriff Race  (Read 58176 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2016, 10:31:10 am »

So why do I get the impression voters are ready to just re-elect another Glanz? 

Think of how different this would have been if the fishing buddy had said "Oh, I was in fear for my life" instead of "Oh, I was going to get some training"?

When there are so many candidates and 99% of the voters have never heard of the candidates, the one who can purchase the most advertising generally wins.  I hope people are honing in on the shenanigans with Vic and will vote for Berry.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2016, 11:33:31 am »

Will the ballot state the political party of the two candidates?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2016, 12:50:27 pm »

Will the ballot state the political party of the two candidates?

Since it is a partisan race it will.  As city elections are no longer partisan, they will not.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2016, 03:47:55 pm »

Since it is a partisan race it will.  As city elections are no longer partisan, they will not.

Then I have doubts of a Berry win
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2016, 04:07:24 pm »

Then I have doubts of a Berry win

Yep.

“He’s a dim-o-crat.  Prolly gave Obama millions, prolly gonna grab ‘er guns”.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2016, 09:39:44 am »

Turns out Regalado paid for his promotion to sergeant, skipping the rank of corporal altogether:

http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=21248.msg305597#msg305597

Of course, the man who promises complete transparency as sheriff and an end to the GOB network is scant on details of his own “promotion”.

If you have paid to play, and you were also far and away the leading fund-raiser in the 2016 sheriff’s race, it’s a fair assumption that this administration would simply carry forward the corrupt er unwritten policies of the Glanz administration.

Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2016, 03:26:38 pm »

Turns out Regalado paid for his promotion to sergeant, skipping the rank of corporal altogether:

http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=21248.msg305597#msg305597

Of course, the man who promises complete transparency as sheriff and an end to the GOB network is scant on details of his own “promotion”.

If you have paid to play, and you were also far and away the leading fund-raiser in the 2016 sheriff’s race, it’s a fair assumption that this administration would simply carry forward the corrupt er unwritten policies of the Glanz administration.

Didnt this all start because the sheriff was letting people buy their rank/positions?
Now the man who wants to replace him has not only done the same, but believes its OK.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2016, 03:32:04 pm »

Got to keep the shenanigans momentum going.

Tulsa County deputies use unloaded firearms to play with laser lights in courtroom
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/crimewatch/tulsa-county-deputies-use-unloaded-firearms-to-play-with-laser/article_814697f2-dc5b-5ac1-948a-3fb232b773f9.html
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2016, 06:03:24 pm »

Didnt this all start because the sheriff was letting people buy their rank/positions?
Now the man who wants to replace him has not only done the same, but believes its OK.

Under Glanz, campaign contributors could be reserve deputies and skate along on the training requirements.  Contributors also did contract work for the TCSO like property appraisals on foreclosed properties and all sorts of services.

Patronage has been a part of American politics essentially since the beginning.  It’s not a big deal until the tax payers end up footing the bill for services which would be cheaper if they were let out for bid or end up with people who are completely incompetent in patronage positions.  Basically all stuff that happened under Glanz.  The incompetence even led to death.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2016, 07:39:33 pm »

Under Glanz, campaign contributors could be reserve deputies and skate along on the training requirements.  Contributors also did contract work for the TCSO like property appraisals on foreclosed properties and all sorts of services.

Patronage has been a part of American politics essentially since the beginning.  It’s not a big deal until the tax payers end up footing the bill for services which would be cheaper if they were let out for bid or end up with people who are completely incompetent in patronage positions.  Basically all stuff that happened under Glanz.  The incompetence even led to death.

Which is why the Sheriff should not be elected. The county commission should hire a professional to run the department.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2016, 12:05:24 pm »

Which is why the Sheriff should not be elected. The county commission should hire a professional to run the department.

I started to recoil when you said that, but it would be no different than the Chief of Police being selected by city administrators.  I have no idea what it would take to change that.  You can bet if it’s state law that sheriffs are elected officials, changing that mechanism will never happen.  Much like changing city operating budgets away from sales taxes.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2016, 12:53:49 pm »

I started to recoil when you said that, but it would be no different than the Chief of Police being selected by city administrators.  I have no idea what it would take to change that.  You can bet if it’s state law that sheriffs are elected officials, changing that mechanism will never happen.  Much like changing city operating budgets away from sales taxes.

But if it has something to do with religion/the Ten Commandments, you can bet your donkey that lawmakers will bend over backwards to bring to a vote a repeal of the section of the State Constitution that prohibits that.  You know, that whole separation of church and state thing.

So just tack it on to that and it might have a chance of becoming a change.

Wink

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
davideinstein
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2016, 01:34:18 pm »

For sure.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2016, 06:19:34 pm »

A tough stance on undocumented immigrants touted by Vic Regalado in media advertisements and at public forums has some in Tulsa’s Hispanic community concerned about the Republican candidate’s intentions if he is elected sheriff.

In his television advertisement, Regalado says he will “fight illegal immigration, which is personal for me.”

A 25-second video on Dream Act Oklahoma-Tulsa’s Facebook page posted Saturday night features four young members of the local Hispanic community saying, “Vic Regalado does not represent me.”

Christina Starzl Mendoza, a co-leader of Dream Act Oklahoma-Tulsa, said a goal of the group is to try to ensure undocumented people trust law enforcement because many of them are targets for crime, especially robbery.
“If they don’t feel safe to report that crime to police, that’s an issue,” Mendoza said. “Not only does that allow for the bad people who actually commit crimes to go free, you have a group of people who can’t participate in keeping their community safe.”

Jordan Mazariegos said he knows airtime for ads is expensive, so he reasoned that Regalado has spent a large chunk of campaign funds “to make it a point to target the immigrant community.”
Regalado’s campaign finance reports state he spent $88,350 through mid-February on media advertising.

Francisco Treviño, president of the Greater Tulsa Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, said he reached out to Regalado after he first viewed the TV spot, asking Regalado, “What the hell were you thinking?”

Treviño said it became his understanding the Regalado campaign went the direction it did in ads to garner more votes.
Treviño said the Republican Party “feeds off” staunch platforms on undocumented immigration, with perhaps a majority of voters holding “some sort of anger” toward that population.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/elections/hispanic-group-concerned-about-sheriff-candidate-vic-regalado-s-rhetoric/article_9b7781f3-1f25-53cc-8567-8186aaa1217b.html

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2016, 06:32:20 pm »

A tough stance on undocumented immigrants touted by Vic Regalado in media advertisements and at public forums has some in Tulsa’s Hispanic community concerned about the Republican candidate’s intentions if he is elected sheriff.

In his television advertisement, Regalado says he will “fight illegal immigration, which is personal for me.”

A 25-second video on Dream Act Oklahoma-Tulsa’s Facebook page posted Saturday night features four young members of the local Hispanic community saying, “Vic Regalado does not represent me.”

Christina Starzl Mendoza, a co-leader of Dream Act Oklahoma-Tulsa, said a goal of the group is to try to ensure undocumented people trust law enforcement because many of them are targets for crime, especially robbery.
“If they don’t feel safe to report that crime to police, that’s an issue,” Mendoza said. “Not only does that allow for the bad people who actually commit crimes to go free, you have a group of people who can’t participate in keeping their community safe.”

Jordan Mazariegos said he knows airtime for ads is expensive, so he reasoned that Regalado has spent a large chunk of campaign funds “to make it a point to target the immigrant community.”
Regalado’s campaign finance reports state he spent $88,350 through mid-February on media advertising.

Francisco Treviño, president of the Greater Tulsa Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, said he reached out to Regalado after he first viewed the TV spot, asking Regalado, “What the hell were you thinking?”

Treviño said it became his understanding the Regalado campaign went the direction it did in ads to garner more votes.
Treviño said the Republican Party “feeds off” staunch platforms on undocumented immigration, with perhaps a majority of voters holding “some sort of anger” toward that population.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/elections/hispanic-group-concerned-about-sheriff-candidate-vic-regalado-s-rhetoric/article_9b7781f3-1f25-53cc-8567-8186aaa1217b.html

Funny, the local Hispanic community was standing behind him when he was alleging racial profiling when he was called on the carpet for $40K in straw donations from working class Hispanics.

Guess they hadn’t quite vetted him yet, eh?

I suspect he channels his Hispanic side when it’s convenient for him.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org