A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:07:32 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (mostly stupid) New bills introduced in Oklahoma: 2016 edition  (Read 46829 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« on: January 08, 2016, 04:03:53 pm »

Lets start off where we ended up last year, with legalized gay marriage by the Supreme Court.

2016 SB973, Preservation of Sovereignty and Marriage Act purports to undue all of that. It was introduced last February as HB 1599 by this same idiot and Sally kern, and died because we had a Constitutional Amendment and laws on the books doing the same thing, but this was going to make trippple sure because it says the Courts cant stop it (this was after 2 Federal Courts had already ruled Oklahomans had a US constitutional right, so our legislatures were trying to over ride that right). It was introduced, made fun of by people all over the internets, then died. Then, of course, it turns out it would have been unconstitutional anyway.

So lets bring that back!

It purports to make gay marriage illegal, unfunds all services , prohibits Oklahoma public employees from recognizing, and prohibits anyone from interfering with the state interfering with gay marriage, all while preserving Oklahoma's sovereignty.  It goes on to say all State Judges must dismiss any Court challenge to the Act, and any judge that hears a challenge to the act shall be removed from office (the reasons specified, when viewed in this context, are awesomely funny) in the act is immune from any Federal Court rulings.

Text here:
http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pdf/2015-16%20INT/SB/SB973%20INT.PDF
Tracker here:
http://www.oklegislature.gov/BillInfo.aspx?Bill=SB973&Session=1600

I think my favorite part is that it is not challenged in State Court in any way, and if a judge dares uphold our State Constitution and allow a judicial challenge he is corrupt/derelict/incompetent and gets the boot! Remember, if one branch of government tells the other branch of government that it can not longer do its job, then that's how separation of powers works!

Or maybe it is the Federal Court clauses:

The Preservation of Sovereignty and Marriage Act shall be fully effective, based on the Eleventh Amendment to the Constitution
of the United States and the structure of the United States Constitution, against any contrary federal court ruling.

let it goes guys, because its gone. [sarcasm font]I don't like the fact that non-landing-owning non-white non-males can vote... but I decided to just give up on that and move on [/sarcasm font].

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 04:35:14 pm »

An Amendment to the "Oklahoma Religious Freedom Act" is back on the table. SB898. The original law The Amendment essentially prohibits the government from making anyone do anything if the person makes a claim that it conflicts with their religious beliefs. A person can "act or refuse to act" in accordance with your religious beliefs, even if contrary to law or the rights of others, and be immune from criminal, civil, or administrative penalties.

http://www.oklegislature.gov/BillInfo.aspx?Bill=SB898&Session=1600

The original law was drafted in such a way that an ultra orthodox Jew who was denied the right to make a sacrafice by a City could call BS, or if a Catholic Church got in trouble for serving wine before 10Am on  Sunday...

I assume this is an attempt to give exemptions to the Kim Davis types who don't want to issue gay marriage licenses. But certainly the broad wording could apply to just about any situation you could imagine. If were to stone my neighbor for being a whore and the police wanted to arrest me, is that not the government "directly or indirectly constrain,inhibit, curtail or deny the exercise of religion by any person or compel any action contrary to a person's exercise of religion."

If I state that my sincere religious belief says that I can clap all stupid people and am forbidden from following speed limits - can I go around slapping people and not following speed limits? If you want to exempt public employees from issuing marriage licenses, do so. This law is just waiting for abuse by the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 02:08:49 pm »

Really what we call idiot bills being proposed through the Oklahoma State legislature.  

There are some colorful characters like Sally Kern; who wants to legislate morality, really get under the sheets in your bedroom.   Just often imagine what's going on in her life--why should we be happy...

My grandmother use to say, "if you're going to throw stones, don't stand too close to the rock pile."

Oklahoma has got to shed this 'Mother-hen mentality' if we want to do business in the 21st Century.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 02:14:27 pm by Laramie » Logged

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 02:39:58 pm »

The Religious Freedom Restoration Act is mirror language to what they passed in Indiana, which was repealed as quickly as they could - but not before as much as $100,000,000.00 in lost economic activity. Recall the NCAA, NFL, and major conventions threatened to boycott if they didn't repeal. Other businesses began the process of leaving, and are continuing that process.

So hey, it worked out well for them. Lets copy THAT.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 07:02:22 pm »

The Religious Freedom Restoration Act is mirror language to what they passed in Indiana

So hey, it worked out well for them. Lets copy THAT.

Watch for this coming down the pike:

The National District Attorney's Association hasn't hidden its intention to mobilize its local offices. The association, along with the International Association of Chiefs of Police, announced in November that they planned to partner with state legislators to enact mandatory smartphone decryption bills around the country.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/22/10815054/california-jim-cooper-encryption-district-attorney
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 09:05:21 pm »

Watch for this coming down the pike:

The National District Attorney's Association hasn't hidden its intention to mobilize its local offices. The association, along with the International Association of Chiefs of Police, announced in November that they planned to partner with state legislators to enact mandatory smartphone decryption bills around the country.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/22/10815054/california-jim-cooper-encryption-district-attorney

Here's another hard hitting, impactful, deep investigative, fact finding, insightful revelation discovering blog from the author you quoted..........

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/29/10868218/poncho-weather-ios-app
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 11:13:49 pm »

Here's another one.

http://www.oklegislature.gov/BillInfo.aspx?Bill=sb977&Session=1600

In summary, this places a 'moratorium' on historic tax credits beginning in July of this year and lasting two years or until repealed.

The irony of it?

This:

This act shall be known and may be cited as the Fiscal Responsibility Moratorium Act.  Unless earlier repealed or revoked by the Legislature, the moratorium shall be in effect for the time period from July 1, 2016, through June 30, 2018.

So, we can reduce income tax for everyone, but somehow this gets the axe for two years.  SMFH.

Here's what prompted me to post this:

http://www.newson6.com/story/31162707/with-tax-credits-in-jeopardy-so-are-oklahoma-historic-renovations

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 08:45:32 am »

Aren't those projects only supposed to get tax credits if it is shown they would not happen without them?  That is to say, those tax credits only come down the pipe if someone certifies that it will end up being a net plus to the tax base...

I assume the Thunder's "quality jobs" kickbacks are still safe though?

- - - -

In other news, there have been TWENTY (20) bills filed again this year to try and bring the judiciary back under partisan control.  The legislature and governor have been very unhappy that judges have been enforcing laws instead of following the political will. Removing Monuments to favorite gods, throwing out laws that violate the constitution, and other unpopular constitutional bullsh!t!

So we have an annual trend of trying to gut the judiciary. From bills making it unconstitutional for judges to rule laws unconstitutional, to funding cuts, to making judges subject to removal for making unpopular decisions. The most common approach is to make judges either political appointments or partisan elections.

http://okpolicy.org/no-less-20-measures-filed-change-oklahomas-judicial-system-year-capitol-updates

Please recall, Oklahoma is famous for our 1960s examples of how NOT to run a judicial system. By having partisan elections and making judges political appointments, it turns out you get partisan and political decisions. Also, it turns out many of them were for sale. It is actually studied and written about in volumes as an example of how a judiciary should not be run. The current system has worked well for 50 years.

Now lets think, why would we want to go back to the other system. Easier to corrupt. Less likely to follow the constitution. Susceptible to political pressure and bribes.  Why, oh why, would someone want that system.

Probably just to ensure that laws are upheld and the constitution is supported...

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 11:55:32 am »

There are some colorful characters like Sally Kern; who wants to legislate morality, really get under the sheets in your bedroom.  
[/i]

Probably without intent or even realizing it, you have just painted one of the scariest pictures in my mind I have ever had....  Worse than all the chain saw/big shark massacres combined!!

Worse than no more Snickers bars or Coca Cola...!!

Sally Kern under anyone's sheets, let alone mine!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 01:36:39 pm »

Probably without intent or even realizing it, you have just painted one of the scariest pictures in my mind I have ever had....  Worse than all the chain saw/big shark massacres combined!!

Worse than no more Snickers bars or Coca Cola...!!

Sally Kern under anyone's sheets, let alone mine!!

Remember, she's always got a big gun with her.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 03:13:19 pm »

Remember, she's always got a big gun with her.

I shudder....

And not in the good way like the hyenas saying Mufasa in the Lion King....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 03:14:41 pm »

She looks like Fallin's meth sister.

onward...through the fog
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 03:15:53 pm »

WOW!!  Second look, she DOES look like Meth user...geez, what is this state doing to itself??

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 11:16:26 am »

WOW!!  Second look, she DOES look like Meth user...geez, what is this state doing to itself??

Though we rank high in the stupid, we are not alone:

Michigan legislators, busy with the Flint water crisis, had time to ban beastiality last week.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/michigan-legislators-extend-statewide-sodomy-ban-article-1.2525376

We should be paying attention to Flint because our water system is old enough to have some lead supply lines (and im told we do).

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 12:43:30 pm »

Without a doubt. Lots of lead pipes in the older parts of town (pre 1950's). Someone from the water dept. was on the news when this all broke saying that we added a chemical to our water that keeps the lead pipes from leaching. Great...I guess.

onward...through the fog
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org