A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:19:24 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Making a Murderer  (Read 12694 times)
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« on: January 05, 2016, 10:47:49 pm »

Juror tells documentary crew they knew Steven Avery was framed by police, but they were afraid cops would also go after them if they didn't convict.

The filmmakers behind smash Netflix hit Making a Murderer revealed that a juror has come forward to say that Steven Avery was framed and that he was only convicted because the jurors feared for their safety.

Laura Ricciardi and Moira Demos, who spent nearly a decade making the true-crime documentary series, told the Today show Tuesday that after the show's Dec. 18 debut, a juror in Avery's case reached out to them and spoke at length about the case.

"We were contacted by one of the jurors who sat through Steven Avery's trial and shared what us their thoughts and they told us that they believe Steven Avery was not proven guilty, they believe that Steven was framed by law enforcement," Ricciardi shared. "They believe he deserves a new trial, and if he receives a new trial, in their opinion it should take place far away from Wisconsin."

The 10-part series examines the case of Avery, who was sentenced to life for the 2005 murder of photographer Teresa Halbach. The sentence followed Avery's 18 years in prison after being wrongfully convicted of sexual assault in 1985. Avery has long maintained his innocence and alleged that he was framed by local authorities and county officials.

Demos said that they asked the juror why Avery was unanimously voted guilty if some jurors felt he was innocent.

"What they told us was that they feared for their personal safety," Demos said.
Ricciardi added, "[The juror] told us that the verdicts in Steven's trial were a compromise."

She said that the source went on to describe the other jurors trading votes, "and explicitly discussing 'if you vote guilty on this count, I'll vote not guilty on this count' "

"They believed that if there were a split verdict like this, that would send a message to the appellate courts and that Steven would get a new trail," Demos explained.

http://www.people.com/article/steven-avery-juror-believes-he-deserves-a-new-trial

Making a Murderer Creators: Juror Feared Being Framed by Police

http://time.com/4167915/making-a-murderer-steven-avery-juror/

“If they could frame Steven Avery, they could do it to me.” That’s how a juror in the Steven Avery case featured in Netflix’s Making a Murderer recently explained to filmmakers why he voted Avery guilty of murder in 2005, despite believing Avery was innocent.

We reached out to D.A. Ken Kratz multiple times. Initially, in September of 2006, he did not respond directly to my letters. Instead, two months later, he tried to subpoena our footage.

"After the trial, I found out...[one juror] was the father of a Manitowoc County Sheriff's deputy," the dismissed juror, Richard Mahler, says. "Another juror, his wife works for the Manitowoc County Clerk's Office."

http://www.people.com/article/steven-avery-juror-says-two-jurors-related-county-employees

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 02:48:18 pm »

Surprise...surprise...!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 04:13:18 pm »

Surprise...surprise...!

Even if believing that the suspects were involved in some aspect of the murder or aftermath, the investigative improprieties are infuriating to watch.
The filmmakers do a stellar job of portraying a broken criminal justice system laden with entrenched class bias and insulated power.

http://www.blogher.com/avery-adnan-and-lure-prison-boyfriends-true-crime-shows?from=comments

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 01:06:42 pm »

Dudes a scumbag....Should fry.....

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 02:13:16 pm »

For once you may be right - that DA is a scumbag and probably should fry....  Even a broke clock can get close once in a while.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 02:45:33 pm »

You guys need to shut your cakeholes!  I haven't even finished the second ep yet!

Grin

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 07:28:41 pm »

The "public servants" that set him up (not once but twice) seem little better.  Your point?

According to the appeal, the juror, identified in court documents as "C.W.," made repeated comments that Avery was "f---ing guilty." He also allegedly told other jurors, "If you can't handle it why don't you tell them and just leave."
Avery, who was still representing himself when he filed the appeal, argues that the juror "had [notions of] preconceived guilt," which "deprived Avery of an impartial jury trial," according to the court documents.
Avery is possibly referring to Carl Wardman, a juror who volunteered with the Manitowoc County Sheriff's Department while he was seated for Avery's trial.

http://www.people.com/article/making-a-murderer-steven-avery-appeals-murder-conviction

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 08:42:55 pm »

Here is another one....incompetent who kills and paralyzes people and you can see who is on his side....  Gov Perry, TX.  Gov Failin'.  Scott Pruitt.  No surprises here.  Good ole boy network extending its reach.

http://www.newson6.com/story/30435932/case-against-spine-surgeon-ended-after-two-governors-intervene

Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 07:20:20 pm »

He convinced a jury to convict Steven Avery — then promised fame if the “Making a Murderer” subject would help him cash in with a book.

Former Wisconsin prosecutor Ken Kratz sent a letter to Avery last year admonishing the inmate for blowing his “one” shot at notoriety by not accepting his offer to sit down for an exclusive jailhouse confession.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/steven-avery-prosecutor-cash-book-article-1.2508742

It turned out I wasn't remembering the nephew Brendan Dassey's confession at all. I was remembering the district attorney Ken Kratz's comments he made at a press conference he held just to tell everyone of Brendan's confession. I even remembered the part about Avery coming to the door of the trailer all sweaty. But Brendan never used those words; Kratz did. In fact, Kratz delivered the confession in his own words as if he was reading it from some historical document.
Was that a tad underhanded? Oh yeah. Did it make it impossible for Avery to get a fair trial? Oh yeah. But if you watch the series, you'll see that pales in comparison to a lot of tactics used by this prosecutor.

The confession was so impossible that the DA decided not to use it at the trial at all. And why should he? The damage was done during the press conference about the confession.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/neal-wooten/making-a-mockery_b_9058000.html

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 12:09:42 pm »

Hope the dude cooks....That movie is a sham at best.....

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 02:13:57 pm »

Hope the dude cooks....That movie is a sham at best.....

I dont think its a movie.  What did you see?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org