A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:04:20 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Woodland Hills Lands H & M  (Read 5098 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« on: February 05, 2020, 02:43:43 pm »

I personally have not a clue about H & M and why it seems to be hip amongst younger folk.  There had been comments for some time on the Utica Square-related threads about H & M being a good fit in the crater where Miss Jackson's and Petty's used to be.  I'm assuming H & M understands their demo, so I guess they feel that shopper is at WHM.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/business/woodland-hills-mall-lands-global-fashion-retailer-h-m/article_9acd6f19-4dbc-584a-8d7e-703c35f8c010.html

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
brettakins
Activist

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 02:36:20 pm »

I would have thought H&M would have been a good tenant for the New Jenks Outlet Mall
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 03:38:57 pm »

I would have thought H&M would have been a good tenant for the New Jenks Outlet Mall

Why? I don't know if they even have an outlet version. H&M clothes are low enough quality as-is, I'm not sure it would be economically feasible for them to go any cheaper.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 03:49:38 pm »

I personally have not a clue about H & M and why it seems to be hip amongst younger folk.  There had been comments for some time on the Utica Square-related threads about H & M being a good fit in the crater where Miss Jackson's and Petty's used to be.  I'm assuming H & M understands their demo, so I guess they feel that shopper is at WHM.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/business/woodland-hills-mall-lands-global-fashion-retailer-h-m/article_9acd6f19-4dbc-584a-8d7e-703c35f8c010.html

They are really trendy-looking fast fashion. I'm guessing they just want to go where there's tons of people shopping. There was definitely an aura about them for a while (only so many locations - prices that were almost too good to be true), but they seem to be on the "riding the last waves" stage as they're virtually everywhere now. Typically they go to the midtown/downtown type areas and try to capture the hip/urban market, but maybe they realize their branding/business practices have a shelf life with that demographic, and maybe they didn't have the right space/deal at Utica Square. They probably just want any Tulsa location as they'll bring in H&M fans from all over the metro so specific location isn't as important as just being in an area tons of shoppers go.
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 04:40:56 am »

Why? I don't know if they even have an outlet version. H&M clothes are low enough quality as-is, I'm not sure it would be economically feasible for them to go any cheaper.

I don’t know if they have an outlet version, but they definitely have series in outlet malls.

Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 04:48:03 am »

They are really trendy-looking fast fashion. I'm guessing they just want to go where there's tons of people shopping. There was definitely an aura about them for a while (only so many locations - prices that were almost too good to be true), but they seem to be on the "riding the last waves" stage as they're virtually everywhere now. Typically they go to the midtown/downtown type areas and try to capture the hip/urban market, but maybe they realize their branding/business practices have a shelf life with that demographic, and maybe they didn't have the right space/deal at Utica Square. They probably just want any Tulsa location as they'll bring in H&M fans from all over the metro so specific location isn't as important as just being in an area tons of shoppers go.

Perhaps at one time in the relatively distant past, they typically went to midtown/downtown type areas, but the vast majority of their stores, at least in the US are not in such areas.  (For example, this will be their second store in Okahoma, both in suburban area malls. I find 12 stores in DFW, only 1 (Sundance Square) is in a midtown/downtown type area.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 04:50:58 am by Oil Capital » Logged

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 09:11:56 am »

I really liked them when I first ran into them in Europe.  They had hip styles and most importantly, had clothes that fit. 30-34 jeans and slim fit jackets and shirts aren't always easy to find. (actually I can almost never find pants that fit and go bonkers when I do lol)  Wen't to the first one in OKC and it seemed disappointing style wise.  Hope it was just a fluke and that they don't wash out their looks/sizes to fit the local markets too much. Won't be anything special if they end up being same as everyone else. But I get that you have to sell to what the locals are buying. Hopefully there are enough normal sized (Oklahoma skinny) people looking for fashion forward, Euro style clothing here to keep them in business.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 01:23:25 am »

Still not quite understanding why H & M is a "thing" From some of the other comments, it sounds like the men's department at Stein Mart.  If that is the case, why was it ever bantered about as a potential tenant for Utica Square???  How is H & M particularly hip and how does it really define a mall or concentrated shopping area?  Last gasp at improving or saving terrestrial retail?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 02:59:05 pm »

Perhaps at one time in the relatively distant past, they typically went to midtown/downtown type areas, but the vast majority of their stores, at least in the US are not in such areas.  (For example, this will be their second store in Okahoma, both in suburban area malls. I find 12 stores in DFW, only 1 (Sundance Square) is in a midtown/downtown type area.

Everyone I've ever seen was in an urban/downtown area and that used to be part of their "identity". They've expanded quite a bit the last 5 or so years. Once a chain like that has made its way to Oklahoma, they typically have no selective criteria at that point and are on full on expand mode to grab every market.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 03:12:19 pm »

Still not quite understanding why H & M is a "thing" From some of the other comments, it sounds like the men's department at Stein Mart.  If that is the case, why was it ever bantered about as a potential tenant for Utica Square???  How is H & M particularly hip and how does it really define a mall or concentrated shopping area?  Last gasp at improving or saving terrestrial retail?

It's trendy clothes for younger people that looks stylish and about as good looking as Banana Republic, but at a third the price or so (they have baby clothes all the way up to adult). It's fast fashion that will probably develop holes within a year of wear or less. So cheaply made stuff that is the "in" look. Most of their clientele will only wear the items a season or so anyways. Very wasteful, but fits the market they're going for.

Basically like Forever 21 but for both sexes (although it might have a mens section now also). It's sort of like the new Old Navy, but aesthetically better. People want $10 shirts and $30 or less pants.

Where else can you get current-trend pants so cheaply priced?
https://www2.hm.com/en_us/men/products/pants/pants.html

Or slim-fit button-up dress shirts for $15?
https://www2.hm.com/en_us/men/products/shirts.html

With so many living paycheck-to-paycheck and facing pressure to fit in and look cool, no wonder fast-fashion is growing so fast. They beat Walmart prices and provide aesthetic that resembles the expensive mall brands. H&M is sort of like Amazon for fashion. Excellent supply chain, great for those on a budget, but likely terrible for the planet and (eventually) the free market.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 05:15:56 pm »

Given the price points and the target market, H&M at Woodland Hills makes a lot more sense than Utica Sq.

Besides, that leaves hope for a ZARA at Utica Sq.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org