A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:40:50 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dewey weighs in on Syrian refugees  (Read 10024 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2015, 10:55:16 am »

Russia Repeatedly Warned U.S. Intelligence About Boston Bombers
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/article/497026.html

I know.  And it was Bush & Cheney’s fault no one listened.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2015, 01:11:56 pm »

~65,000 refugees come to the US per year, about 750,000 since 911. The screening process for a refugee takes 18-24 months. Never has a refugee been convicted of domestic terrorism.

Why the panic now?

Just pure and simply fear, panic, and pre-existing xenophobia. No logical reason. And whatever "solutions" they come up with are not very likely to have a better success rate than what they've already been doing.

After the xenophobia and nationalism, the next step is to demand citizens give up more rights and the government get more power because "security." That usually starts just inside a week after the event. So I expect it to really ramp up soon.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2015, 01:15:09 pm »

I know.  And it was Bush & Cheney’s fault no one listened.

Just like Bush getting blamed for 911, hindsight is always so easy. Sure, if we put the pieces together now, we can see what was happening. But like the French have recently said . .  they get information on credible threats ALL THE TIME. You can't panic on each one. Otherwise you would be a situation where some idiot with a tracfone could call in a fake bomb threat and shut down anything they want.

If it happened, I'm sure the officials would say it was a hard decision but they totally had awesome evidence to do it. Which, of course, they can't share, because security. But they made the best decision and you're safe because government.

Then, of course, when the next one happens they will say they can't possibly react to every threat or the terrorists win. The difference, of course, is just timing. Give it 3 months.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
saintnicster
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2015, 01:37:06 pm »

http://www.theonion.com/article/historians-politely-remind-nation-to-check-whats-h-26183
WASHINGTON—With the United States facing a daunting array of problems at home and abroad, leading historians courteously reminded the nation Thursday that when making tough choices, it never hurts to stop a moment, take a look at similar situations from the past, and then think about whether the decisions people made back then were good or bad
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org