A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:43:59 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Real Japanese Ramen  (Read 19160 times)
hangrytulsan
Tourist

« on: December 10, 2015, 09:05:24 pm »

So i've recently been on work and vacation trips to a few cities in TX and CA, and they have quite a craze going on for Japanese ramen (the real kind with long-simmered pork bones broth, melt-in-you-mouth pork belly, and high quality noodle). None of the Asian or fusion places in Tulsa that I've been to offer the same level of the hearthiness and umami flavors as the real Japanese ramen. Has anyone been to any places around town that may offer such thing? (not including the Pho places as they are quite different)

I've heard of a few ramen places in OKC but have not been able to check them out yet. Curious if a town like Tulsa is up to date enough on food trends to support such a type of cuisine.

P.S. i'm new on this forum. Moderator please move if it's posted in the wrong place.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 09:46:33 pm »

So i've recently been on work and vacation trips to a few cities in TX and CA, and they have quite a craze going on for Japanese ramen (the real kind with long-simmered pork bones broth, melt-in-you-mouth pork belly, and high quality noodle). None of the Asian or fusion places in Tulsa that I've been to offer the same level of the hearthiness and umami flavors as the real Japanese ramen. Has anyone been to any places around town that may offer such thing? (not including the Pho places as they are quite different)

I've heard of a few ramen places in OKC but have not been able to check them out yet. Curious if a town like Tulsa is up to date enough on food trends to support such a type of cuisine.

P.S. i'm new on this forum. Moderator please move if it's posted in the wrong place.

You might try Zan Mai at 15th & Peoria. I don’t recall if they had it on the menu, but the entire menu is Japanese, not a mish-mash of Asian.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 09:16:32 am »

You might try Zan Mai at 15th & Peoria. I don’t recall if they had it on the menu, but the entire menu is Japanese, not a mish-mash of Asian.

Yokozuna has Ramen
hangrytulsan
Tourist

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 12:24:14 pm »

Conan - thanks for the info. i've been to Zanmai but was not aware of their ramen option. will check it out although i've learned not to expect much if the ramen is buried among other options, and not their main offering.

swake - i've had ramen at Yokozuna. it is quite far from the real thing. well flavored pork belly, but still not melt-in-your-mouth level, and the broth and noodle were mediocre.

to clarify the type of ramen i'm talking about, i've attached photos below. would love to hear comments from Tulsa foodies if any has had a good bowl anywhere in-or-outside of town, and if ppl around here know what it is.

sorry if i'm sounding a bit like a snobbish foodie. while Tulsa has a good variety, i just wish it has more authentic places especially when it comes to Asian cuisines.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 12:40:15 pm »

You don't like the Pho places?   I just in last 6 months found Pho Lan in Moore, OK and everything I have tried there has been pretty good.  Only been 4 times and am slowly working my way through the menu....

But none of it yet looks like those two amazing pictures you posted!!  Where are they from?

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
hangrytulsan
Tourist

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 01:06:17 pm »

i do like Pho and have it at least once a week. there are an abundant number of Pho places in the Tulsa area - and generally in Oklahoma due to the influx of immigrant during war time. but having Pho as the only noodle soup option available just don't cut it for me..

i still think there should be other varieties of Asian foods - particularly more Chinese and Japanese. there is practically only one decent real Chinese place in town (not counting buffet and take-out places), and it is still nothing like what's available our on the coasts or in TX. same is true for Japanese (not counting the so called sushi places that serve 100 different types of 'rolls' that are practically American food and not at all authentic). sorry, i'm ranting again.

the photos were taken from internet but pretty reflects what i had during my trips.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 02:04:10 pm »

Ming's Noodle Bar?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 08:30:45 pm »

i do like Pho and have it at least once a week. there are an abundant number of Pho places in the Tulsa area - and generally in Oklahoma due to the influx of immigrant during war time. but having Pho as the only noodle soup option available just don't cut it for me..

i still think there should be other varieties of Asian foods - particularly more Chinese and Japanese. there is practically only one decent real Chinese place in town (not counting buffet and take-out places), and it is still nothing like what's available our on the coasts or in TX. same is true for Japanese (not counting the so called sushi places that serve 100 different types of 'rolls' that are practically American food and not at all authentic). sorry, i'm ranting again.

the photos were taken from internet but pretty reflects what i had during my trips.

Love the pho place just west of memorial on 21st.  We finally discovered it a couple of weeks ago and ate there again tonight.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 10:05:20 pm »

Love the pho place just west of memorial on 21st.  We finally discovered it a couple of weeks ago and ate there again tonight.

In the old Braum's?  Or next door to it on the north side of 21st just across from where Conrow's Meats used to be?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
cynical
Civic Leader

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 08:45:16 am »

The only one I'm aware of near 21st and Memorial is Viet Huong. It is a weekly ritual for us.

In the old Braum's?  Or next door to it on the north side of 21st just across from where Conrow's Meats used to be?

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2015, 10:37:16 am »

The only one I'm aware of near 21st and Memorial is Viet Huong. It is a weekly ritual for us.

Yep, the Viet Huong is the one I'm talking about.  I've been there a few times as it's not very far from my work.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 02:38:08 pm »

Yep, Viet Huong.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 08:45:48 am »

Anybody tried this place?

http://www.tulsaworld.com/weekend/foodreview/review-yutaka-grill-sushi-buffet-offers-wide-selection-of-asian/article_336e8992-49e8-57de-80f9-f87b84314021.html

Power is nothing till you use it.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2015, 09:43:43 pm »

Yep, Viet Huong.

a.k.a...Miso Horny.....

Denizen
Tourist

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2016, 09:50:52 am »

There appears to be a ramen place opening "soon" in the Blue Dome, on 2nd Street next to Fleet Feet. Jinya Ramen Bar. Part of a national chain. From the website, it looks like this will be the real deal, ramenwise.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org