A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:32:51 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DECOPOLIS will be closing after Christmas. (To reopen in a bigger better spot!)  (Read 16110 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« on: December 02, 2015, 05:18:49 pm »

Just wanted to let you all know before you heard rumors on the grapevine.  This will be the last month you will ever get to see our little store before we close....

Because we are moving to a bigger better location just down the street in the Thompson Building!!!  Grin

Our building just got a new owner and wanted to renegotiate our lease which is up at the end of the year.  They were asking quite a bit more long term than the previous owners.  So we decided to look around and see if there were other options.  I have always had my eye on the Thompson Building and we looked at our numbers and think it will just be doable if we really work hard at it.  Things will be tight again, just as we were finally making a profit lol,  but we think this new space and location, though only a short distance from our current one, offers us better opportunities for foot traffic and for future growth.  

It's going to be tough, but I think the risk is worth it.  I LOVE the space.  20 foot ceilings in the front part with a staircase leading up to a second floor mezzanine that overlooks the front part.  Will feel so fancy to be saying stuff like, "Yes, that's in the Men's department on the second floor." Cool  And we will have just over 1,500 more square feet than our current location.  Our new space will be right next door to Jimmy Johns, across from Mod's and just a couple doors down from Elote.  We always felt like we were just a little too far down the street away from the center of things in the area. Now we will be right smack dab in the middle.

Now we will have room for real book signing events, children's book readings, I will be able to give art classes, we will be able to have art shows featuring local artists and craftsmen, and more.

Anywhoo, please come buy some stuff! lol. It will be the last time to see the old DECOPOLIS. We have some great gifts for people of all ages and likes.

Support your local, downtown retailers!  We need a good Christmas to help us make the big move!

And thanks so much to all of you who have supported us these first few years.  We look forward to creating something even better for you.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 04:05:26 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
LeGenDz
Activist

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 07:24:01 pm »

NICE! Cheesy

hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 08:04:41 am »

Oh, I was so very sad at the title. But yay for a bigger store! I think you have the best retail store in Downtown so I'm glad to see it move into a more historic building a bit closer to the action.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 09:02:13 am »

Good deal William! Excited to see what you dream up for your new space.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 09:41:07 am »

You have a vision for the space and how to expand programming for the store instead of just going into debt for more inventory to fill the space, I think you will do great!

We will see if we can help lighten up your inventory a little for holiday gifts.

Congratulations!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 11:25:33 am »

Go William!
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 12:05:16 pm »

Congratulations.  That's exciting news.

I just told a friend who lives in the Thompson and she was very happy that you're moving in.  She said she loves when Decopolis is open because of the music you play.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 03:55:44 pm »

Awesome! That does seem like a better location for walkability in that area. And with you moving, it will open the door for something to move into the space you're in.

Will be interesting to see the new inventory! Would love to see what kinds of clothes you'd have there. I'm a fan of Hillman's Garage who make Tulsa T's but haven't seen them anywhere besides Indie Emporium/Mayfest (http://hillmansgarage.net/collections/t-townteez).
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 03:58:42 pm »

Shame on you for the scary title!! Yay for you and the move!
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 04:22:04 pm »

Thanks all!  Yes we are glad to have more space to do the kind of "programming" that would not fit into our current space.  I would think that merely being that next block over and in a higher traffic spot our sales will go up by about 15-20%, or hopefully more!

And we are learning that it isn't about having more product, but the right products, and getting the best sellers back in as quickly as possible.  Sounds easy, but it is very tricky lol.  I still learn something every week. So glad I have a good team.  No way this artist brain could have done all the legal, tax, employment, form filling out stuff on my own.  Very important to have the right mix of people on your team.

Sometimes I feel like I am the least important asset here lol. I set out the vision and try to keep it going in the right general direction, and shuffle things around to make them look pretty, then everyone else does the stuff that is hard for me to do.  I wish I could pay them all more cause they deserve it.  Hopefully will be able to someday.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 11:22:52 pm »

Great news!
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 05:47:50 pm »

Very exciting, and I'm thrilled for you.

I walk by the Thompson Building several times a week, and I've been wondering what tenant might move into that space....so good to know that it's going to be DECOPOLIS!
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 04:42:15 pm »

Decopolis set to reopen in new downtown location

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/scene/offbeat/decopolis-set-to-reopen-in-new-downtown-location/article_5d6843d3-9e9f-581f-9bf7-adfeba1ad6f7.html

The downtown retail store Decopolis is putting the final touches on its new location, ready for a soft opening this weekend.
The move took place after Christmas, one block north on Boston Avenue. The new location, 502 S. Boston Ave., allowed owner William Franklin to expand with more space and take advantage of more downtown foot traffic.

The soft opening is set for Saturday. A grand opening will be held Feb. 13.

Decopolis specializes in local and unique gifts, and home decor. The store has a large selection of books by local authors on topics of local interest, toys and games, art that highlights Tulsa and art deco style, and more. Franklin said they wanted to open the store while they were putting the final touches on the new location in time for a grand opening event in February.
For more, go to decopolis.net.

Looking forward to seeing the new place!
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2016, 10:13:44 pm »

Thanks!

They are saying it's going to be a tough year for retail, especially brick and mortar.  But that just makes me want to work all that much harder to make a go of it and beat the odds.  

Will be going to the first "market" of the year in a couple of weeks to see if we can find some great products for the new place.  Hopefull we will find some top notch unique and fun stuff at good prices to bring to Tulsa!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 10:16:54 pm by TheArtist » Logged

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2016, 07:28:53 pm »

MC and I dropped in yesterday, it is a fantastic space.  I really do think it will benefit from better foot traffic and being much closer to two of the major hotels in downtown will be a plus.

This is a great Saturday morning/afternoon destination!  There’s the pop up shops in the Philcade as well as the Art Deco museum and gift shop.

Great vision, Artist!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org