A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:49:07 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2016 Tulsa Mayoral Race  (Read 49632 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2016, 10:44:02 am »

New poll from June 20:  http://soonerpoll.com/wpcontent/uploads/2016/06/TulsaMayoralElection_FINALREPORT-1.pdf

Topline:

Bartlett 41
Bynum 38
Other 8
Undecided 14

Broken down by party:

GOP: Bartlett leads 54-31
IND: Bynum leads 45-25
DEM: Bynum leads 47-25

Other relevant information:

Barlett favorability: 57/41
Bynum favorability: 56/29

Would a Kathy Taylor endorsement make you more or less likely to vote for a candidate:
More 25
Less 48
No diff 27

Would a Tom Coburn endorsement make you more or less likely to vote for a candidate:
More 40
Less 31
No diff 29

I was talking to my boss this morning who is an arch conservative on most issues.  He says he’s voting for Bartlett because Bynum is too much of a progressive since he is a "tax-and-spend liberal" since he supports the 1% education sales tax.  He also said since he’s a LaFortune, his administration would be just like Bill LaFortune’s.  Never mind that there is no basis in reality to assume GT would be the same as LaFortune was.  As I recall Bob LaFortune is looked on quite favorably, so why would his admin necessarily resemble Bill’s admin rather than Bob’s if DNA has something to do with it, which we all know it does not?

I did remind him that Dewey was on the same side on the Vision extension as far as being “tax-and-spend” and doing a bait and switch on the public safety tax.

I don’t know if I should be surprised that a Taylor endorsement is seen as such a negative or not.  There’s little based in reality of the public’s negative perception of her time in office as Mayor.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2016, 11:02:02 am »

I was talking to my boss this morning who is an arch conservative on most issues.  He says he’s voting for Bartlett because Bynum is too much of a progressive since he is a "tax-and-spend liberal" since he supports the 1% education sales tax.  He also said since he’s a LaFortune, his administration would be just like Bill LaFortune’s.  Never mind that there is no basis in reality to assume GT would be the same as LaFortune was.  As I recall Bob LaFortune is looked on quite favorably, so why would his admin necessarily resemble Bill’s admin rather than Bob’s if DNA has something to do with it, which we all know it does not?

I did remind him that Dewey was on the same side on the Vision extension as far as being “tax-and-spend” and doing a bait and switch on the public safety tax.

I don’t know if I should be surprised that a Taylor endorsement is seen as such a negative or not.  There’s little based in reality of the public’s negative perception of her time in office as Mayor.

Wow!  Sorry Conan...and I am being very sincere about this...that you work for such a mentally limited/challenged boss!

LaFortune was ok as mayor.  We had no major ignorant stuff going on during his time in office.  One of the big negative things going on during his tenure was the way the water system was allowed to implode but that was on John Thomas the water commissioner - LaFortune didn't really get to have much say in that circus.  Different city structure then.   Bob was big into Port Catoosa.  Also PAC and Williams Center but I won't hold Williams Center against him...few at that time understood the value of keeping our old building heritage.  And PAC has been very excellent, IMHO.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
dsjeffries
City Father

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2016, 11:04:02 am »

Also worth pointing out that 46.2% of the respondents were 65 or older. Are these surveys done only on landlines?

I also wish the polling firm knew the difference between "you're" and "your", and "counselor" and "councilor".

Change never happened because people were happy with the status quo.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2016, 11:07:17 am »

I heard that Bynum was on the staff of Nichols and Coburn. Hardly a progressive but likely a realist. His presentation on OETA swayed me to support the v2025 in spite of my reservations. Mr Bartlett says his most treasured triumph during his administration was shifting the cost of "safety" from a short term regular budget item to long term development funding under 2025. That's conservative?

modified to specify OETA. I tend to think of all channels 11 to be PBS.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 11:27:16 am by AquaMan » Logged

onward...through the fog
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2016, 01:38:18 pm »

Wow!  Sorry Conan...and I am being very sincere about this...that you work for such a mentally limited/challenged boss!

He is actually one of the brighter people I know, yet he is one of these Glenn Beck conservatives which just boggles my mind.  It’s sort of like how many people with high IQ’s can solve about any problem but socially they are just complete morons.

I’m very much a moderate, so I’m equally put out by the contard far right and libtard far left.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2016, 01:52:43 pm »

He is actually one of the brighter people I know, yet he is one of these Glenn Beck conservatives which just boggles my mind.  It’s sort of like how many people with high IQ’s can solve about any problem but socially they are just complete morons.

I’m very much a moderate, so I’m equally put out by the contard far right and libtard far left.

I told you in the last general election we should lobby for registering the Whig party again!

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2016, 08:39:38 pm »

Also worth pointing out that 46.2% of the respondents were 65 or older. Are these surveys done only on landlines?

I also wish the polling firm knew the difference between "you're" and "your", and "counselor" and "councilor".

Well, they are also the ones I see most at the polling places I ever go to.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2016, 10:04:17 pm »

Almost certainly.  Something like 13% of Tulsans are 65 or older, but a heck of a lot of them vote.  

It really ticks me off when I read about young people not voting because they're "disillusioned."  

"Oh, gosh, I wonder why nobody represents me in a representative democracy when I never bother to participate or vote.  Hmmm...  I'll show them (stamping my foot), I'll snub them with my complete absence and silence, and that will really hurt their feelings, and make them change."

We have about the same number of millennials as we have old geezers in town.  Sadly, the old geezers will continue to decide things as long as the youngins can't be bothered to participate.  Which is sad, because the young folks could rule the world, if they ever decided to step up.

But I'm sure voting for someone on The Voice is important, too.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2016, 10:23:58 pm »

It really ticks me off when I read about young people not voting because they're "disillusioned."  

I'm an old guy and I am disillusioned about the choices for President.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2016, 07:46:42 am »

I'm an old guy and I am disillusioned about the choices for President.

Even us not so old guys are disillusioned about the choices for president.

It is disappointing to see just in the time I’ve been eligible to vote (1984) how elections in general have gone from something dignified and professional to a complete clown show.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2016, 07:52:32 am »

Almost certainly.  Something like 13% of Tulsans are 65 or older, but a heck of a lot of them vote.  

"Oh, gosh, I wonder why nobody represents me in a representative democracy when I never bother to participate or vote.  Hmmm...  I'll show them (stamping my foot), I'll snub them with my complete absence and silence, and that will really hurt their feelings, and make them change."

We have about the same number of millennials as we have old geezers in town.  Sadly, the old geezers will continue to decide things as long as the youngins can't be bothered to participate.  Which is sad, because the young folks could rule the world, if they ever decided to step up.

But I'm sure voting for someone on The Voice is important, too.

This is why voting for a legitimate candidate is so important and why I was rather harsh on one of our other members for saying he was voting for Tay.  If you really cannot stand the state of things at City Hall not voting or voting for a fringe candidate who runs as a joke is a huge mistake.  That’s almost guaranteeing there will be no change.

At least GT has stood up and worked on the RDO to try and stanch out the desperately awful development ideas of the current administration.  Perhaps most Tulsans are not as in tune or care about smart development as people on this board are.  They have not researched what an absolute bust sprawl and tax incentives are to lure new retail which only further dilutes a pretty finite pool of area income with our very low growth rates.  Bartlet (sic) represents every thing that is wrong with Tulsa’s old school politics.  It’s time for him to retire back to his oil business.

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2016, 10:00:24 am »

This is why voting for a legitimate candidate is so important and why I was rather harsh on one of our other members for saying he was voting for Tay.  If you really cannot stand the state of things at City Hall not voting or voting for a fringe candidate who runs as a joke is a huge mistake.  That’s almost guaranteeing there will be no change.

If all the mainstream choices suck and you're voting for the lesser of two evils.   You're still voting for an evil and there is no catalyst for change.    The lesser evil wins with a majority of the vote.

I think this year's presidential election illustrates how we need something like "approval voting"

There was so much noise with so many candidates, the loud candidate that most don't like but has a small cult following rises to the top.

Say there are 9 candidates and 100 voters...  80 of the voters like anyone but candidate 9.   20% like candidate 9

candidate #votes (approval voting) #votes (current system)
resultrunoff (#9 loses)#9 wins

Odds of a 8-way tie are going to be super slim this just illustrates how it prevents the turds from floating to the top and opens up the possibility for a 3rd party.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 10:13:51 am by BKDotCom » Logged
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2016, 11:48:42 am »

Even us not so old guys are disillusioned about the choices for president.

It is disappointing to see just in the time I’ve been eligible to vote (1984) how elections in general have gone from something dignified and professional to a complete clown show.

Should see the Johnson/Goldwater elections...the ad with the girl and the A bomb...I remember seeing that when it first ran.  Impressive, even to a teenager.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbIfVEboAzg

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2016, 11:48:11 am »

Dewey is no conservative, his first term was a dis-appointment, Deweys 2nd term was a default   we could not have Kathy, after two terms it's time for Dewey to go- Dewey is getting old and pretending to be a conservative does not cut it. I think we should take a chance on GT we have nothing to lose, neither guy is a conservative, Let's try GT and see how things go.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2016, 12:19:11 pm »

Dewey is no conservative, his first term was a dis-appointment, Deweys 2nd term was a default   we could not have Kathy, after two terms it's time for Dewey to go- Dewey is getting old and pretending to be a conservative does not cut it. I think we should take a chance on GT we have nothing to lose, neither guy is a conservative, Let's try GT and see how things go.

While I agree that GT appears to be the way to go, it doesn't matter for you. 

You can't vote. 

You're not registered to vote.

You have to register to vote in order to vote.

If you register now, you could vote next one.

Would you like help registering to vote?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org