A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:14:03 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2015 Veterans Day Parade Freak Out  (Read 21670 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2015, 03:16:58 pm »

Incidentally, Paul Tay rode by with a Marine flag on his bike. Did he serve?

Yes, as I understand it he was a Marine followed by a civilian job in L.A. managing bicycle/pedestrian infrastructure before moving back to Tulsa.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2015, 05:28:28 pm »

Lets rename the team the "Washington Nigg3rs" because DC used to be the largest slave trading center in the world! Or how about the "CHINKS"," the "WOPS," "SPICS," "KIKES," or the "HUNS?" Maybe just stick to skin colors and call them the "darkies" or "yellow skins?"

Well, there's that offensive state name...
http://kfor.com/2014/06/19/if-redskins-change-name-should-oklahoma-change-its-name-too/

Oh and we can really get into it if I point out that there was a time in our history where the N-word was just an innocuous identity (and not a double-standard offense).

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2015, 08:48:21 am »

Went to the parade yesterday. Took some pictures that I would like to share... but apparently you can't resize photos in the new fancy Google photo thingy and I don't really think you are interested enough in seeing 12mg pictures on here.

But there was a float flying the Israeli flag (not sure why, it wasn't a Jewish Veterans float).

There were four floats flying the "Christian flag."

There was a group of Laotian veterans.

A group of South Vietnamese veterans.

Creek vets.

And no one protesting any of those flags or groups.

The CAIR group had a banner up that said "In memory of many, in honor of all. Oklahoma Mulsims Thank Our Veterans." The float was drapped in red white and blue. It flew an American flag with the service flags off the front. It was loaded with kids waiving American flags. Marching along side it were veterans and reservists carrying American flags.

Running along side it was a hot dog, a guy with sign that said "Every Real Muslim is  Jihadist" and a guy with a sign that said "Jesus Christ God manifested in the flesh, crucified, resurrected, and coming again, has a pressure cooker (lake of fire) for every dead Muslim!" I also counted more than a dozen people around the parade route with Confederate flags, hate signs, and bigoted shirts.

Most people didnt seem to care at all. Had I not known that CAIR was some controversial thing, their entry would have appeared like most others. Maybe a little better done than some - but nothing special. The trolls looked like fools waiving Confederate flags at group after group of American veterans.

So who was using the event for politics again?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2015, 09:40:02 am »

Well, there's that offensive state name...
http://kfor.com/2014/06/19/if-redskins-change-name-should-oklahoma-change-its-name-too/

Oh and we can really get into it if I point out that there was a time in our history where the N-word was just an innocuous identity (and not a double-standard offense).

Richard Whitman, a member of the Yuchi tribe, remembers being teased as a child - repeatedly being called a "redskin."

"You live with it, you know?" Whitman said of the teasing. "It was part of our little survival technique, if you will."

So he is glad to see pressure put on the Washington Redskins to change their name.

He says it represents the scalps that were collected by bounty hunters who made a living killing Native Americans.

"Medical health shows the impact of this kind of imaging for young native people," Whitman said.

I guess with an over-active imagination you can construe a name to represent anything you like.

I think for me, “redskin” will now represent the genocide of Jews.  Why not?  Everyone else keeps attaching their own image to the term.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2015, 03:59:38 pm »

I guess with an over-active imagination you can construe a name to represent anything you like.

I thought the same thing, but...

While it may be scary, there is historical evidence for this - including a proclamation published in the Winona Daily Republican (in Minnesota, 1863). Whether you agree with the name change or not, there is historical documentation to the claim that Redskin referred to Indians killed for bounty. It was also used in several notable editorials calling for the genocide of native populations. Starting the mid 1800s, redskin was a derogatory term for Native Americans.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org