A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:14:14 am
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CVS at 15th and Utica  (Read 106752 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #195 on: May 26, 2016, 10:57:22 am »

Those buildings may not have been great losses, but I think the corner definitely has a more boring feel than it did in the past.

This is what I was going for. Not that the buildings that were lost were of great value, but we lost an opportunity when we replaced them with suburban style development. If we replace dense and interest with suburban (instead of other dense interesting structures) we lose any competitive advantage that we have, or could be building. 

We lost a couple of houses as well as two two story buildings for the suburban QT (the only kind). We lost a Mexican restaurant and a drug store for the suburban CVS. We lost a fronted brick building (Umbertos) for a suburban strip mall.  None of the buildings that were lost were in good shape and the new buildings probably add value to the tax base.  But every step has been away from density instead of towards it.

What I took away from Blake's blog post is incremental progress matters. It isn't the one CVS that is marginally improved that makes or breaks the neighborhood. But if all the structures above were marginally improved to create a small walkable pocket...15-20 years from now as other buildings are replaced we keep moving in the right direction, eventually we get there. Or at least we keep getting closer.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #196 on: May 26, 2016, 11:51:04 am »

I hadn't noticed what their installing where Umbertos was.  Are there any drawings of what's going up?
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #197 on: May 26, 2016, 12:03:48 pm »

I hadn't noticed what their installing where Umbertos was.  Are there any drawings of what's going up?

I'm guessing...

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #198 on: May 26, 2016, 12:24:37 pm »

They have it posted on the signage in front of the space. Replace the above picture with 3 or 4 spaces instead of 5, and what appears to be red brick instead of yellow faux-stucko, and it is spot on.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #199 on: May 26, 2016, 01:11:13 pm »

I'm guessing...

I don't get it, where are all the vape stores?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #200 on: May 26, 2016, 01:44:42 pm »

Those buildings may not have been great losses, but I think the corner definitely has a more boring feel than it did in the past.

The point I was trying to make is other than the Umberto’s building getting knocked down, it’s not really changed in 20 years other than the CVS revamp of the dumpy old Mays and the revamp of the QT.  To me it looks the same with fresh brick and paint.  Wink Anyone remember what was on the NW corner before it was a QT?  Another gas station?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #201 on: May 27, 2016, 12:05:29 pm »

On topic, check out what's happening at 15th and Lewis across from Reasors.  A local pharmacy (according to their marketing at least) that preserves the existing buildings.  They removed the McKee Sewing sign, but installed a new sign calling it the McKee Office Building.  Pretty cool stuff.  And yes, another pharmacy.  That makes 5 in about a half square mile once CVS goes in.  CVS, Walgreens, Reasors, Apothe, and Walgreens at Utica Square.  Lots of meds going around this town.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #202 on: May 27, 2016, 12:16:36 pm »

On topic, check out what's happening at 15th and Lewis across from Reasors.  A local pharmacy (according to their marketing at least) that preserves the existing buildings.  They removed the McKee Sewing sign, but installed a new sign calling it the McKee Office Building.  Pretty cool stuff.  And yes, another pharmacy.  That makes 5 in about a half square mile once CVS goes in.  CVS, Walgreens, Reasors, Apothe, and Walgreens at Utica Square.  Lots of meds going around this town.

You can almost smell the opium,
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #203 on: May 27, 2016, 03:03:17 pm »

You can almost smell the opium,

Not yet.  At least not over the chicken fry from Bros Houligan
(I'm in the bldg between the two)
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #204 on: May 27, 2016, 04:29:21 pm »

For those wanting to discuss other locations, I suggest starting new topics about 21st & Harvard and 15th & Lewis/Atlanta, because the subject here is the CVS development at 15th & Utica.
Susansooner
Citizen

« Reply #205 on: December 13, 2016, 12:18:41 pm »

Just drove by today at lunch and the signs are out - "CVS Coming Soon"
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #206 on: December 14, 2016, 12:52:37 pm »

Just drove by today at lunch and the signs are out - "CVS Coming Soon"

Did you have to open your car door and barf.....Huh

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #207 on: December 14, 2016, 01:51:16 pm »

Did you have to open your car door and barf.....Huh

If she was sick, it sure would be nice to have a CVS that was close by...  (you made me do it)

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #208 on: December 14, 2016, 02:44:10 pm »

I, too, am perplexed by the demand for CVSes and Walgreenses (are those the correct plurals?). But I gotta say, it's not just a Tulsa thing, and it's just as bad or worse elsewhere.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/cvs/@38.9012512,-77.0385774,15z/data=!3m1!4b1
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #209 on: December 14, 2016, 03:01:01 pm »

I, too, am perplexed by the demand for CVSes and Walgreenses (are those the correct plurals?). But I gotta say, it's not just a Tulsa thing, and it's just as bad or worse elsewhere.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/cvs/@38.9012512,-77.0385774,15z/data=!3m1!4b1

They are havens for over-prescribed baby boomers.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org