A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:33:18 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CVS at 15th and Utica  (Read 106821 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2015, 09:57:49 pm »

Yeah, imagine a shopping area like Woodland Hills without all the pole signs, how are you going to find anything?

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.848427,-119.7906464,3a,75y,357.58h,94.87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0gqjCa8wPZuX9yGfcwHPIw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

"Some people call me a dreamer"

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2015, 07:36:46 am »

how is there enough room on this lot for both a CVS and parking?
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2015, 07:58:12 am »

Most of Cherry Street doesn't have tall pole signs - the parts people actually like. I would much prefer to add more of Cherry Street between Utica and Peoria than add more McDonald's and LJS to Cherry Street. McDonald's and LJS do not add to the character of Cherry Street that draw people to that area. Look down Cherry Street, then look down Harvard from 21st to 41st. Which one look nicer?

And there si room for a CVS and parking because they are buying up several lots in the area, I believe.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2015, 08:48:05 am »

Quote from: Dtowner
I assume the orientation of the front door to the parking prevents them from having it front both 15th & Utica.

I've seen plenty of CVSs (though not in Tulsa) that have checkout stations at both the "front" and the "back" leaving neither end the back but making them both fronts. The could have bumped this down to the corner of 15th & Utica, put a pedestrian entrance with check out lanes on the SW corner and put an identical entrance on the NE corner for people coming from or going to a parked vehicle. If they had wanted to.  While we're on the subject, the Trader Joe's could have done this dual entrance thing onto Brookside but - unless I'm wrong - it looks like there will just be an entrance in the rear. Which is a shame because many of the shops on Brookside (BBD, all or most of the Center 1 shops, Shades of Brown, etc) have front and rear entry.

Most of Cherry Street doesn't have tall pole signs - the parts people actually like. I would much prefer to add more of Cherry Street between Utica and Peoria than add more McDonald's and LJS to Cherry Street.

Thank you.

And there si room for a CVS and parking because they are buying up several lots in the area, I believe.

So it looks like this medical office building will get torn down and replaced with the CVS's dumpsters?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 09:58:13 am by gratherton » Logged
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2015, 09:10:59 am »

So tt looks like this medical office building will get torn down and replaced with the CVS's dumpsters?
I thought the public notice sign was at the next building north of that one.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2015, 09:42:55 am »

Oh, sigh...

Looks like the building is built up to the sidewalk on Utica (yea), but it doesn't have pedestrian-oriented windows along that edge.  It has some windows (not enough), but they will be opaque at pedestrian height, so won't be interesting to walk beside. (In some cities, when retailers demand opaque windows along sidewalks, they are required to include photos, art or something other than solid color film on the windows.  This makes it a bit nicer to walk beside, though it's obviously not as nice as just window shopping.)

The actual "front" of the building will be set back behind a parking lot (of course) along 15th.  Since 15th is actually our "walkable urban" street, you'd think we'd require them to build up to the corner.

The sign is ridiculous overkill, as per usual.  Designed to be seen by cars moving at 50 MPH.  I'm sure that's necessary.

In general, it's a standard-issue, mediocre CVS, just like every other CVS in the country.  Go Cherry Street!  (Since this is some of the most valuable and unique land in town, it's too bad we can't require better.  Oh, yeah.  That would require a different planning commission and stronger zoning requirements.)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2015, 10:14:55 am »

The sign is ridiculous overkill, as per usual.  Designed to be seen by cars moving at 50 MPH.  I'm sure that's necessary.

Maybe they are doing that for the purposes of negotiation, they give on something outrageous if you give on something less outrageous.

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m0!3m2!1sen!2sus!4v1446653528018!6m8!1m7!1sF34T_speSf3Weh1mdcksXg!2m2!1d36.10404334036731!2d-95.94019348636735!3f87.67654899720392!4f-0.49079155662873575!5f1.9587109090973311" width="600" height="450" frameborder="0" style="border:0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

41st & Harvard monument sign.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 10:16:37 am by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2015, 10:31:25 am »

I live on 14th Place and oppose this for a lot of reasons.  Unfortunately, I know that traffic flow nightmares and "please think of the pretty buildings" rarely win the day in these things.  But, at an absolute minimum, they need to scrap the 14th Place entrance.  It is a residential street that has lots of kids who play outside in the front yards, families walking with wagons, and kids riding their bikes.  The street already has people using it as a shortcut which is dangerous and annoying, but the volume from the pharmacy drive thru will cause a tremendous increase when CVS customers start using it to avoid traffic on the 15th and the Utica entrances and exits.  The Walgreens at 15th and Lewis has only two entrances, one on 15th and one on Lewis.  There is no reason CVS needs a third on a residential street except to allow its customers to wreak havoc on the residents of the neighborhood.  Does anyone know of any other examples of a business similar to this that has a traffic entrance on a residential street?  I'd like to argue that it doesn't exist anywhere else in Tulsa or that, at a minimum, it's very rare.

A group of people on NextDoor are organizing a meeting to discuss objecting to this development, or at a minimum, trying to secure changes to the site plan.  I'll post on here if anyone is willing to chime in and support our cause.   

https://terracedriveok.nextdoor.com/news_feed/?post=17555625
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2015, 10:40:23 am »

I got this info from the Gilbert AZ Code Compliance regulations regarding "monument signs" (pole signs)

2. Freestanding Signs.
a. Monument Signs.
(1) Number. One on-site Freestanding Monument Sign is permitted for any
lot or parcel with a minimum of 100 feet of street frontage. Parcels with
600 feet of street frontage are permitted 2 Freestanding Monument Signs.
One additional Freestanding Monument Sign is permitted for each
additional 300 feet of street frontage.
(2) Height Criteria. Signs shall be no greater than 12 feet in height to the top
of design embellishments. The sign face shall be located between 2 feet
and 10 feet above grade with design embellishments added to the top,
sides or bottom of the sign.
(3) Area. Signs shall be no greater than 60 square feet in area.
(4) Setback. Monument Signs shall be set back a minimum of 3 feet from
the right-of-way.
(5) Spacing. Monument Signs shall maintain a minimum spacing of 100 feet
from any other low-profile Freestanding Sign on the same street frontage.

http://www.gilbertaz.gov/home/showdocument?id=1450#page=179
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2015, 11:03:26 am »

Does anyone know of any other examples of a business similar to this that has a traffic entrance on a residential street?  I'd like to argue that it doesn't exist anywhere else in Tulsa or that, at a minimum, it's very rare.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.148627,-95.9680074,173m/data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0766585,-95.9237523,292m/data=!3m1!1e3
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2015, 11:09:59 am »

I live on 14th Place and oppose this for a lot of reasons.  Unfortunately, I know that traffic flow nightmares and "please think of the pretty buildings" rarely win the day in these things.  But, at an absolute minimum, they need to scrap the 14th Place entrance.  It is a residential street that has lots of kids who play outside in the front yards, families walking with wagons, and kids riding their bikes.  The street already has people using it as a shortcut which is dangerous and annoying, but the volume from the pharmacy drive thru will cause a tremendous increase when CVS customers start using it to avoid traffic on the 15th and the Utica entrances and exits.  The Walgreens at 15th and Lewis has only two entrances, one on 15th and one on Lewis.  There is no reason CVS needs a third on a residential street except to allow its customers to wreak havoc on the residents of the neighborhood.  Does anyone know of any other examples of a business similar to this that has a traffic entrance on a residential street?  I'd like to argue that it doesn't exist anywhere else in Tulsa or that, at a minimum, it's very rare.

A group of people on NextDoor are organizing a meeting to discuss objecting to this development, or at a minimum, trying to secure changes to the site plan.  I'll post on here if anyone is willing to chime in and support our cause.   

Totally agree. I hope the city listens to the neighborhood for a change.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2015, 12:07:50 pm »

Bumgarner is happy.....

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2015, 12:28:19 pm »

how is there enough room on this lot for both a CVS and parking?

This building is part of the siteplan.  it currently has a sign that says its available, so it would be purchased and bulldozed for parking.  Hate to see it go, but I don't pretend that a cool old building means anything to anyone in charge of these things.  

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1711+E+15th+St,+Tulsa,+OK+74104/@36.1405814,-95.9665984,3a,75y,10h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sAK4d-Vy3xFzkzF1mIkmWWQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DAK4d-Vy3xFzkzF1mIkmWWQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dsearch.TACTILE.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D392%26h%3D106%26yaw%3D10.628496%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656!4m2!3m1!1s0x87b6ec94112ffa0b:0xb49e6776f5cf9713!6m1!1e1
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2015, 12:39:28 pm »

Yep, they need to shitcan that entrance/exit onto 14th Pl.  I really don’t think it should be that big a deal to get that taken out of the plan.  Just follow this very carefully through the process and show up at the hearings.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2015, 01:34:00 pm »

Bumgarner is happy.....

He is probably the developer.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org