A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:08:55 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OSU-Tulsa Releases Plans To Develop Campus, Community  (Read 8399 times)
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« on: October 14, 2015, 08:47:35 am »

There is rising interest in more than 14 acres of empty land just north of the IDL in Tulsa, and OSU-Tulsa just released its hopes for the property to developers.
The university wants to see a little bit of everything out there, and not just for OSU students, but for the community.

The request for proposals just went out to prospective commercial developers, and they have until November 10th to submit their ideas for what to do.

The land is owned by a city trust that supports OSU, and it is ready to hand it over to the best applicant with the best ideas.

After years of discussion, OSU Tulsa President, Howard Barnett, said they are finally getting serious about their plan.

One component is a new technology facility which would allow private sector companies to work with OSU researchers in more of a lab and testing environment.

“To be able to have this, sort of related facility for the private sector will help us get the most out of the research in that building that taxpayers already built,” Barnett said.

But, it’s the rest of the project that could turn the space into a community of its own - with apartments, restaurants, hotels, coffee shops and a focus on more developmental opportunities outside of the IDL.

“We've been saying for many years, if we describe downtown as inside the IDL, it ought to be as broad as it can be. My one liner is that the IDL is a road, not a wall," Barnett said.

Jeremy Grodhaus lives in Brady Heights - the neighborhood sitting right next to all of the land.

“To see development move this direction is fantastic. It is fantastic for north Tulsa, and I hope this focuses a little more attention on other developments in north Tulsa that I think are needed," he said.

Some re-zoning will be required, and the Salvation Army building would be relocated, but the goal right now is to pick the developer and get to work.

"Commercial development can go forward on whatever timeline developers say. If they say they're ready to go, we’re ready to go," Barnett said.

So now we wait to see what kind of ideas they come up with on land that has sat empty for so long and could serve as a catalyst for an unlimited amount of development outside of downtown.

“We need to jump the IDL,” Barnett said. “Once it is jumped, you will see more and more development projects."

OSU is asking for $15 million for the technology center through the extension of Vision 2025, along with donations or possible bonds.

The commercial component will all be paid for by the commercial developers and not a cent of taxpayer money.

http://www.newson6.com/story/30244719/osu-tulsa-releases-plans-to-develop-campus-community
TeeDub
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 01:44:42 pm »

As much as I hate Oklahoma State, that sounds like a much better investment than some dams.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 02:06:33 pm »

Probably the best idea for that area. You guys have been wanting something like this and discussing it for years and I hope that it comes through. If you are looking for the spark to get the next phases of new development, this is it. Put aside the OU/OSU/TU rivalries and get this one done.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 02:48:23 pm »

How do these request for proposals really work.  It does not seem realistic to send out a request and expect well-thought out creative proposals that are viable to be submitted within 1 month.  Has this request been out there for a long time and is just now getting announced by OSU?  It seems to me the more time afforded to create and vet the proposal before it is submitted, the more likely the end product will look like the proposal.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 03:02:00 pm »

How do these request for proposals really work.  It does not seem realistic to send out a request and expect well-thought out creative proposals that are viable to be submitted within 1 month.  Has this request been out there for a long time and is just now getting announced by OSU?  It seems to me the more time afforded to create and vet the proposal before it is submitted, the more likely the end product will look like the proposal.

From my own experience working for a city government, the architectural and engineering plans for all facilities were drawn and at 70 to 80 percent complete when they were submitted for general construction, and the subsequent releases for things like special systems,furniture,  and security systems were released separately depending on the project since we had some facilities that were design build like fire stations, or.multiple phase large projects.

So it could be that to get construction started while still finalizing some internal designs, they are doing RFP for general construction.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 03:02:48 pm »

I always thought this would be a nice area for a main street styled outlet mall...

Parking garages on each end of the development (and conveniently close to the Brady District). Several blocks of "main street" with the outlet shops. Off of main street can be all sorts of other development.

it could be an actual destination. Just off the interstate. Near an entertainment district. Something interesting that won't end up an abandoned strip mall after 15 years.

Make it happen.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 03:05:37 pm »

I always thought this would be a nice area for a main street styled outlet mall...

Parking garages on each end of the development (and conveniently close to the Brady District). Several blocks of "main street" with the outlet shops. Off of main street can be all sorts of other development.

it could be an actual destination. Just off the interstate. Near an entertainment district. Something interesting that won't end up an abandoned strip mall after 15 years.

Make it happen.

There's plenty barely-used park land where we could put that, especially over by HW75.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 06:46:18 am »

There's plenty barely-used park land where we could put that, especially over by HW75.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 09:06:18 am »

I've long thought this area should be OSU's premier research park that is also a mixed-use development that incorporates student housing.  It should follow the grid north of the IDL so that development can be as seamless as possible from Brady should the IDL ever be buried or removed.  Continue the same brick look as buildings in the Brady.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 09:44:59 pm »

Anyone heard anything about this recently?  It's been a year since it was announced.

I saw where OSUIT in Okmulgee is renovating old downtown buildings for student housing.  I would love to see something similar in the Brady..  http://www.fox23.com/news/osuit-joins-efforts-to-revitalize-okmulgee/458868988

TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 12:11:29 pm »

I saw where OSUIT in Okmulgee is renovating old downtown buildings for student housing.  I would love to see something similar in the Brady..  http://www.fox23.com/news/osuit-joins-efforts-to-revitalize-okmulgee/458868988

Really glad they are helping preserve downtown Okmulgee. That place is quite a historical gem in terms of keeping the main core of an old downtown in tact with lots of brick facade buildings. It might be the most impressive stretch of buildings like that in Oklahoma. It is a shame the town is in such a dire situation economically. A few are trying to bring the downtown back. It would be great if they get it going and the residents support it.

Props to OSU-Okmulgee!
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 01:07:53 pm »

A site map from a Frontier article last November not sure if this is current or not:

A few critiques:
1.  OSU should be focusing its academic facilities east of MLK to create more of a core campus that already exists.  That is also where the library should be located on the parking lot east of Elgin to connect to the other buildings.
2.  Since Main is already the main commercial corridor through Brady continue that north of the highway and allow for mixed-uses in the "technology" buildings. 
3.  Instead of Academic Buildings west of MLK turn that into student housing between the campus and technology park.
4.  No park buffers along Boulder and Main, that should be residential.

Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 01:26:34 pm »

A site map from a Frontier article last November not sure if this is current or not:

What is a "Public Shool"?

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 02:27:27 pm »

It's a big building with low potential, but that's not important right now..........

Markk
Civic Leader

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2016, 02:52:59 pm »

Suggests that the graphic was created by an OSU grad.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org