A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:56:09 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PAC Trust selects developer  (Read 134818 times)
swake
T-Town Elder

« on: October 12, 2015, 01:45:17 pm »

PAC Trust has selected a developer for the parking lot east of the PAC. Indianapolis-based firm Flaherty and Collins proposed a development that includes parking, apartments and a new downtown Reasor's store.

http://www.newson6.com/story/30228722/pac-trustees-developer-continue-talks-to-transform-downtown-parking-lot
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 01:53:04 pm »

Wow!
Pretty sweet!
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 02:47:24 pm »

Fantastic - hopefully the final product will actually look something like this picture.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 06:14:19 pm »

Cool cgi.  Cimarex monstrosity to follow.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 06:33:05 am »

one quibble: The grocery looks like every other Reasor's. Why can't we do better and make it multi-story and blend into the urban landscape instead of just floating a big box grocery into downtown. It would also be cool if this development was designed like an extension of the PAC with some additional theater space and some Broadway style lighting and ad space.

Other than that, I'm fully on board with filling in surface parking lots with revenue producing structures, and I will be a regular customer of this grocery.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 07:23:00 am »

At least the Reasors is shown in brick with windows along all sides.

The developer has lots of projects displayed on their website, both pretty CGI up coming projects, and actually completed projects. I haven't seen any blatant bait-and-switch yet. I'm very hopeful!

Example that is similar to the proposed:

Proposed:

Completed:

Does this hinge on presales or financing or TDA or anything else that could tank it?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 07:27:33 am »

Make the reasors structure multi story and I'm sold.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 07:37:19 am »

But where will everyone park?

(Sorry, had to)
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 08:26:23 am »

The Reasors on Brookside is impressive and they are rebuilding the one on Cherry Street to match.  Not a big box grocery feel at all.  And local, so I support them.  I don't care if it's multistory or not as long as it is nice, modern, and carries fresh stuff.  Wanting multistory simply because New York or whatever is cheesy.  If it works based on the space size, then fine.  But don't force it just to feel cool.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 08:28:14 am »

Want multi-story to increase density in the foot print.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 08:28:33 am »

But where will everyone park?

(Sorry, had to)

They'll simply redesign it with a five level above ground parking garage on the bottom with the actual structure on top.  That's what Tulsans want apparently.  (yes I'm still very bitter about the cimarex monstrosity and will be for some time.)
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 09:03:25 am »

Want multi-story to increase density in the foot print.

I assume the lower rise of the Reasor's is to provide views from the apartments.  Multi-storied grocery stores also require a lot of specialized features (escalators that work with carts, elevators, etc.) that really add to the cost that is probably not supported by the economics given cheaper land cost in downtown.  What would be really cool is a is roof-top garden on the Reasor’s that provided produce for the store.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 09:49:30 am »

Can anyone provide an example of a multi-story grocery store?
I've been to NYC, Tokyo, Europe, Seattle, San Fran...   haven't encountered a multi-level grocery store

Edit:  found this new store HEB store in San Antonio:
http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/2015/01/new-san-antonio-h-e-b-grocery-store-is-on-two-levels.html/
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 09:51:17 am by BKDotCom » Logged
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 10:28:09 am »

Can anyone provide an example of a multi-story grocery store?
I've been to NYC, Tokyo, Europe, Seattle, San Fran...   haven't encountered a multi-level grocery store

Edit:  found this new store HEB store in San Antonio:
http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/2015/01/new-san-antonio-h-e-b-grocery-store-is-on-two-levels.html/

Multi-story Walmart on a small footprint in downtown/NoMa DC

What may be more plausible for downtown Tulsa is putting units above the grocery store.

Hard to see but more about 1/3 of this Whole Foods in Foggy Bottom in on the street level, the other 2/3 are a level below that.

All the groceries of this Navy Yard Harris Teeter are on one level but like the Whole Foods in Foggy Bottom it has parking below and apartments above.

Even in an urban area like DC these stores are unusual. There are plenty of big box grocery stores with parking lots next to them nestled into otherwise walkable areas.
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 11:16:29 am »

We can't tell from the renderings if the store would be multi-level, but the structure housing the store is clearly is two-stories tall.  Notice the second level outdoor space and the skywalk connecting to the PAC.

And, the proposed Reasor's is only 35,000 square feet, so clearly not just a standard suburban big-box plopped down on a downtown lot.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 11:21:43 am by Oil Capital » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org