A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:39:25 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Real I.D. What the What?  (Read 18029 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2015, 01:34:47 pm »

...and I understand thats mostly theater, as well.

Not so much I think.  I did my first renewal after the new licenses and they were able to match my print with the record and retrieve it that way.  Technology dontcha know.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 02:27:17 pm »

I think it was just my index finger. Since I am an attorney, I had to submit all my finger prints to the OSBI anyway - so no big deal to me. Just funny that Oklahoma requires it, but freaks out when they *think* Uncle Sam does.

Pretty sure I gave OSBI all ten fingers to get my CCL.  Why am I thinking most of those who are paranoid about the Real ID program in Oklahoma have a CCL, but never thought twice about being fingerprinted for OSBI?

The ignorance in Oklahoma runs deep.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2015, 02:46:52 pm »

...and I understand [the precheck is] mostly theater, as well.

They "accidentally" allowed a convicted murderer who was "well known" and recognized by TSA agents to pass by. Hey, his ticket say "pre-check" on it so they just let the murderer go on to the plane with no screening what-so-ever.

http://www.loweringthebar.net/2015/03/notorious-felon-and-terrorist-has-no-trouble.html

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TeeDub
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2015, 09:37:08 am »

They "accidentally" allowed a convicted murderer who was "well known" and recognized by TSA agents to pass by. Hey, his ticket say "pre-check" on it so they just let the murderer go on to the plane with no screening what-so-ever.

http://www.loweringthebar.net/2015/03/notorious-felon-and-terrorist-has-no-trouble.html

Meh.   He did his time.   Plus, he was American.   Everyone knows Americans plant bombs, we don't blow ourselves up...  That would be crazy.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2015, 10:15:30 am »

Meh.   He did his time.   

I agree, he did his time and deserves a second chance. But to pre-clear him for airport security seems really off. The guy isn't allowed to own firearms or vote, but is considered safer than most people at TSA because he paid $85.

What the hell do those background checks look for that "has murdered people in the past" isn't on the list?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2015, 10:39:13 am »

I agree, he did his time and deserves a second chance. But to pre-clear him for airport security seems really off. The guy isn't allowed to own firearms or vote, but is considered safer than most people at TSA because he paid $85.

What the hell do those background checks look for that "has murdered people in the past" isn't on the list?

TSA Pre-Screen Checklist:
()Has $85
()Not brown/black/foreign looking
()No big bushy beard
()No weird sounding name
()’murican born
()Has $85
TulsaMoon
Civic Leader

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2015, 10:45:37 am »

TSA Pre-Screen Checklist:
()Has $85
()Not brown/black/foreign looking
()No big bushy beard
()No weird sounding name
()’murican born
()Has $85

Bout sums that up
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2015, 10:20:12 am »

Pretty sure I gave OSBI all ten fingers to get my CCL.  Why am I thinking most of those who are paranoid about the Real ID program in Oklahoma have a CCL, but never thought twice about being fingerprinted for OSBI?

Deep and wide....

Herped so much they derped....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2015, 10:23:27 am »

He didn't have the government pre-check.  When you fly quite a bit, the airlines have some leeway to give a 'temporary' pre-check.  On Southwest, I get average about 1 out of 3 times.  AA I have gotten it once.  Delta and United, a couple times each.  It's nice, so that is what got me into looking at buying the official version.

Still gotta go through the machine - just don't have to remove shoes and belt.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Jammie
Civic Leader

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2015, 02:58:37 pm »

Interesting. Fingerprints? My state (SD) is listed as one of the compliant states. It was quite an inconvenience for some people, especially women who had been married more then once. In short, we had to furnish our name trail. For someone married more then once, they required a pretty copy of their birth certificate, previous marriage certificate, divorce decree, and current marriage certificate. I know a few people who had a struggle getting everything together, especially those born/married in different counties.

It was easier for us, but we did have to make a trip to the courthouse since my husband didn't have a birth certificate. I had mine, but we also had to dig out our marriage license. (Because of my name change) Since it was only a one time thing and once you've done it, you can renew with just the driver's license you received after furnishing your records, it wasn't so bad. I wonder if we'd have the finger print thing, too if we moved to OK or if our past furnishing of documents would make it easier for us.

Adopt an older pet. Help them remember what it feels like to be loved.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2015, 02:14:40 pm »

Pretty sure I gave OSBI all ten fingers to get my CCL.  Why am I thinking most of those who are paranoid about the Real ID program in Oklahoma have a CCL, but never thought twice about being fingerprinted for OSBI?

You did.  Takes all 10.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2021, 01:03:38 pm »

For Oklahomans needing state-issued identification, a long wait is likely as the software needed to make Real IDs has gummed up the entire system, Tulsa tag agents say, forcing them to book appointments sometimes months in advance.

Sydnee Jones runs Central Tag Agency at 1632 S. Harvard Ave. She shows up before it opens each morning to greet the line of customers already waiting at the door — sometimes more than a dozen people.

The talk she has started giving goes like this: Appointments for IDs are booked out through April, but she will let some of the folks in line wait to be squeezed in, and only if they have the right documents.

Those who wait are told they have to be courteous — people have slammed the tag agency’s door so many times, Jones said, she had to replace it when it shattered over the summer.

“People, just in general and with the pandemic, all seem a little more on edge. When you’re a little more on edge, you tend to respond a little more quickly in a not-so-nice manner,” said Billie, who requested her last name be withheld, of her work at Admiral Tag Agency, 6704 E. Admiral Place.

“We’re used to dealing with not-nice people, but having one right after the other, it gets stressful.”

Jones said some customers will cry, trying to request appointments knowing their license expired. Parents trying to make an appointment after their teen passed a driving test have been frustrated they’ll have to wait, in many cases, several more weeks to get licensed.

Among many complications created by the COVID-19 pandemic, Billie said sufficient training never was offered on how to properly use the system before its deployment, which finished in the state by mid-November.

She conceded “DPS didn’t make this system. They’re using this system just like us.” But Jones, at the Central Tag Agency, put it another way.

“The system that (the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety) has given us is absolute trash. We were down all day yesterday, and there’s nothing we can do about it,” she said Tuesday. “DPS says ‘we’re with you,’ but the state of Oklahoma has failed us and the citizens of Oklahoma.”

The summer of 2020 is when life at work started to get harder for her and her team, said Shelly Greene from Garnett Tag Agency, 5807 S. Garnett Road. That’s when Real ID capabilities began launching across the state, powered by software that tag agents say has significantly slowed the process for all identification-related requests from customers.

“I would say to the lord every morning, ‘please send me the nice people of the world,’” said Greene, whose tag agency is among several that can’t even book appointments for IDs by phone because the line rings off the hook.

The situation only worsened further into the rollout, she said. Eventually, the state’s Real ID project manager, OHP Capt. Randy Rogers, emailed tag agents Jan. 29 about ongoing problems including a two-day outage caused by server connection issues.

He blamed a “large migration of data to three new servers” for slowdowns and noted a nationwide outage Jan. 22 of the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators system, which is serviced by AT&T and Verizon, that blocked DPS locations and tag agencies in multiple states from issuing ID credentials.

The system offers subscribers leased line connections to records in all 51 motor vehicle licensing jurisdictions in the U.S, according to AAMVA’s website.

Ironically, two days after Rogers sent the email alert, the system went down again for a full day.

DPS spokeswoman Sarah Stewart said Wednesday that a “team effort” is ongoing in response to problems, including the state and vendors tasked with maintenance of the system.

She said the requirement to switch to IDEMIA’s platform ahead of federal deadlines for Real ID compliance entailed an overhaul of the agency’s existing digital infrastructure at its locations and for independent tag agents.

“DPS does not even employ any information technology technicians. We rely on OMES and our vendor, IDEMIA, to help troubleshoot when there are problems,” Stewart said. “There are people watching the system literally 24 hours a day — watching when it slows down, when it goes out, those kinds of things.

“Up until 9 in the morning the program’s going great, but between 9 and 10 (a.m.) there are more people getting on the system and then we see a dip and it slows down.”

Billie said her shop, Admiral Tag, will take a break from offering ID services next week because the sole employee who can work the new system needs time off after months of dealing with technical issues and frustrated customers. One Tulsa tag agency has stopped offering state-issued IDs altogether.

Admiral Tag staffers are often barely able to serve 25 people per day, and Billie said the issue has proved particularly frustrating for customers seeking a quick fix to an expired ID right before a flight departing from the Tulsa International Airport, just a couple of miles north of her tag agency.

Similarly, Greene said the Garnett Tag Agency used to be able to produce 130-150 driver’s licenses a day before cutting down to 25 when tag agencies had to integrate with the software needed for Real IDs.

A statement from the Office of Management and Enterprise Services said the agency partnered with DPS, IDEMIA and Microsoft to “investigate the root cause of the D360 application errors.”

Rogers said in his Jan. 29 email that latency issues continue despite the nationwide outage being resolved and that “we have immediately made this our priority” to address.

“We want you to know we realize the frustration you are experiencing as we are feeling the same frustrations,” he wrote. The statement from OMES pledges the agency will stay in “close communication” with DPS Commissioner John Scully and his team as it leads the investigation.

Asked about the progress of the investigation, Stewart said of OMES and IDEMIA, “They’ve found numerous little things, but they haven’t found what they think they’re looking for in terms of a root cause.”

Stewart acknowledged the inconsistency in service, combined with safety protocols in place amid the pandemic, has “stretched resources more thin” at DPS-operated agencies and tag agencies.

But she expressed confidence anyone who needs a Real ID can receive one before the federal Oct. 1 deadline, even as she encouraged those who have alternative ways of obtaining a Real ID to do so.

“But we want people to know not everyone needs a Real ID. People who have passports or military IDs, for example — those are already Real ID-compliant,” Stewart said. “If your license is expiring soon, you can renew it online, though it won’t be Real ID-compliant. At least you wouldn’t have to come inside (to a DPS location) and wait.”

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/need-your-state-id-prepare-for-a-nightmare-wait-as-real-id-stalls-system-tag/article_dd9adc44-6636-11eb-8016-039f3121824d.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2021, 03:31:33 pm »

After reading Patric's post, I'm glad the state runs the MVD here in AZ. They did a shutdown last year for four days to convert to new servers and new system, and it went rather smoothly. There were some teething problems as to be expected. Other than every two years for an emissions check, and to get my Real ID License (That took twenty minutes), I don't have to go to an office. Last year I had both cars emissions checked, the system updates automatically, came home paid the registration on line and in three days had my new tabs.

Sold one of my cars late last year, signed the title, got paid by the buyer, logged into MVD notified them of the sale and cancelled the plate and got a plate refund 30 minutes later that I can apply to my other cars next registration.

I hated dealing with the "independent" tag offices when I lived in Tulsa, just poorly run.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2021, 08:57:11 am »

For Oklahomans needing state-issued identification, a long wait is likely as the software needed to make Real IDs has gummed up the entire system, Tulsa tag agents say, forcing them to book appointments sometimes months in advance.

Sydnee Jones runs Central Tag Agency at 1632 S. Harvard Ave. She shows up before it opens each morning to greet the line of customers already waiting at the door — sometimes more than a dozen people.

The talk she has started giving goes like this: Appointments for IDs are booked out through April, but she will let some of the folks in line wait to be squeezed in, and only if they have the right documents.

Those who wait are told they have to be courteous — people have slammed the tag agency’s door so many times, Jones said, she had to replace it when it shattered over the summer.

“People, just in general and with the pandemic, all seem a little more on edge. When you’re a little more on edge, you tend to respond a little more quickly in a not-so-nice manner,” said Billie, who requested her last name be withheld, of her work at Admiral Tag Agency, 6704 E. Admiral Place.

“We’re used to dealing with not-nice people, but having one right after the other, it gets stressful.”

Jones said some customers will cry, trying to request appointments knowing their license expired. Parents trying to make an appointment after their teen passed a driving test have been frustrated they’ll have to wait, in many cases, several more weeks to get licensed.

Among many complications created by the COVID-19 pandemic, Billie said sufficient training never was offered on how to properly use the system before its deployment, which finished in the state by mid-November.

She conceded “DPS didn’t make this system. They’re using this system just like us.” But Jones, at the Central Tag Agency, put it another way.

“The system that (the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety) has given us is absolute trash. We were down all day yesterday, and there’s nothing we can do about it,” she said Tuesday. “DPS says ‘we’re with you,’ but the state of Oklahoma has failed us and the citizens of Oklahoma.”

The summer of 2020 is when life at work started to get harder for her and her team, said Shelly Greene from Garnett Tag Agency, 5807 S. Garnett Road. That’s when Real ID capabilities began launching across the state, powered by software that tag agents say has significantly slowed the process for all identification-related requests from customers.

“I would say to the lord every morning, ‘please send me the nice people of the world,’” said Greene, whose tag agency is among several that can’t even book appointments for IDs by phone because the line rings off the hook.

The situation only worsened further into the rollout, she said. Eventually, the state’s Real ID project manager, OHP Capt. Randy Rogers, emailed tag agents Jan. 29 about ongoing problems including a two-day outage caused by server connection issues.

He blamed a “large migration of data to three new servers” for slowdowns and noted a nationwide outage Jan. 22 of the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators system, which is serviced by AT&T and Verizon, that blocked DPS locations and tag agencies in multiple states from issuing ID credentials.

The system offers subscribers leased line connections to records in all 51 motor vehicle licensing jurisdictions in the U.S, according to AAMVA’s website.

Ironically, two days after Rogers sent the email alert, the system went down again for a full day.

DPS spokeswoman Sarah Stewart said Wednesday that a “team effort” is ongoing in response to problems, including the state and vendors tasked with maintenance of the system.

She said the requirement to switch to IDEMIA’s platform ahead of federal deadlines for Real ID compliance entailed an overhaul of the agency’s existing digital infrastructure at its locations and for independent tag agents.

“DPS does not even employ any information technology technicians. We rely on OMES and our vendor, IDEMIA, to help troubleshoot when there are problems,” Stewart said. “There are people watching the system literally 24 hours a day — watching when it slows down, when it goes out, those kinds of things.

“Up until 9 in the morning the program’s going great, but between 9 and 10 (a.m.) there are more people getting on the system and then we see a dip and it slows down.”

Billie said her shop, Admiral Tag, will take a break from offering ID services next week because the sole employee who can work the new system needs time off after months of dealing with technical issues and frustrated customers. One Tulsa tag agency has stopped offering state-issued IDs altogether.

Admiral Tag staffers are often barely able to serve 25 people per day, and Billie said the issue has proved particularly frustrating for customers seeking a quick fix to an expired ID right before a flight departing from the Tulsa International Airport, just a couple of miles north of her tag agency.

Similarly, Greene said the Garnett Tag Agency used to be able to produce 130-150 driver’s licenses a day before cutting down to 25 when tag agencies had to integrate with the software needed for Real IDs.

A statement from the Office of Management and Enterprise Services said the agency partnered with DPS, IDEMIA and Microsoft to “investigate the root cause of the D360 application errors.”

Rogers said in his Jan. 29 email that latency issues continue despite the nationwide outage being resolved and that “we have immediately made this our priority” to address.

“We want you to know we realize the frustration you are experiencing as we are feeling the same frustrations,” he wrote. The statement from OMES pledges the agency will stay in “close communication” with DPS Commissioner John Scully and his team as it leads the investigation.

Asked about the progress of the investigation, Stewart said of OMES and IDEMIA, “They’ve found numerous little things, but they haven’t found what they think they’re looking for in terms of a root cause.”

Stewart acknowledged the inconsistency in service, combined with safety protocols in place amid the pandemic, has “stretched resources more thin” at DPS-operated agencies and tag agencies.

But she expressed confidence anyone who needs a Real ID can receive one before the federal Oct. 1 deadline, even as she encouraged those who have alternative ways of obtaining a Real ID to do so.

“But we want people to know not everyone needs a Real ID. People who have passports or military IDs, for example — those are already Real ID-compliant,” Stewart said. “If your license is expiring soon, you can renew it online, though it won’t be Real ID-compliant. At least you wouldn’t have to come inside (to a DPS location) and wait.”

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/need-your-state-id-prepare-for-a-nightmare-wait-as-real-id-stalls-system-tag/article_dd9adc44-6636-11eb-8016-039f3121824d.html

I got mine last August in anticipation of some sort of long outage because the GF and I are planning an out of country trip sometime when the pandemic will allow us.  While I will have a passport by that time I didn't want to be left out in case I needed the RealID version of the license before then.  I had to try twice but both times I didn't need an appointment.  The second time I went I was successful and it took just under 45 minutes.  The first time was just having 8 people in front of me and the clerk said it was taking between 20 and 30 minutes to complete each one (do the math ha) and I was like nope, I'll come back.  Then they issue you a paper facsimile of the realID while you wait 5-7 business days to receive yours in the mail (it took 5 business days).

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2021, 08:33:09 pm »

Definitely going to wait for a long time before trying to get that.  Like when the licenses need renewal.  Passport works just fine and we won't have to deal with the Okrahoma ignorance.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org