A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:23:11 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Real I.D. What the What?  (Read 18322 times)
DolfanBob
City Father

« on: October 05, 2015, 08:06:40 am »

So now our Oklahoma Driver License is not considered proper Identification by the Airlines after 2016?
I had never heard of this Real I.D. Government program. So it sounds like we all need to carry around our notarized Birth Certificate just to prove who we are.
Just another tool for the State and Government to extract more money from us for an unnecessary purpose.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/government/real-id-poses-potential-real-problems-for-those-with-oklahoma/article_be353bec-be02-5ea4-a6c7-ddad05ae22d5.html

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 09:01:41 am »

Around 2005, we made changes to our driver's license about (when we got barcodes and stuff) in an attempt to standardize on the Real ID/Best practices.

In 2007, the state legislature made it illegal for for the department of public safety to comply with Real ID standards so further changes have not been made. Some changes they want regardless of Real ID, but they are not allowed to do so because it's on the RealID standards list.

For the last 8 years the state department of public safety has been trying to get this ban lifted and get licenses up to speed.

From my brief review of the rules, it appears the only thing missing from our licenses are a star showing they are TSA approved. The rest of the requirements from RealID that are missing are likely tied to renewal rules and identification needed to get the license/ID card.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 10:23:36 am »

Around 2005, we made changes to our driver's license about (when we got barcodes and stuff) in an attempt to standardize on the Real ID/Best practices.

In 2007, the state legislature made it illegal for for the department of public safety to comply with Real ID standards so further changes have not been made. Some changes they want regardless of Real ID, but they are not allowed to do so because it's on the RealID standards list.

For the last 8 years the state department of public safety has been trying to get this ban lifted and get licenses up to speed.

From my brief review of the rules, it appears the only thing missing from our licenses are a star showing they are TSA approved. The rest of the requirements from RealID that are missing are likely tied to renewal rules and identification needed to get the license/ID card.

So basically, the Oklahoma Legislature saved us from an evil NATO plot.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 10:28:12 am »

So basically, the Oklahoma Legislature saved us from an evil NATO plot.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
TeeDub
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 10:31:39 am »

Strange.  This article doesn't mention Oklahoma.   Just states like New York, New Hampshire, Minnesota, and Louisiana.

Something tells me this is a law that may not be acted on.

http://time.com/money/4042896/drivers-license-airport-security-states-passport/

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 12:36:44 pm »

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 12:37:51 pm »

Noncompliant states and territories: American Samoa, Arizona, Louisiana, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New York. New Hampshire has an expired extension. New York and Minnesota issue enhanced licenses.

Compliant states: Alabama, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Maryland, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, Ohio, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming.

Received extensions: (expire in October, but renewable): Alaska, Arkansas, California, Guam, Idaho, Illinois, Kentucky, Maine, Massachusetts, Missouri, Montana, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, North Marianas, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, Virgin Islands, Washington.

States with standing laws explicitly prohibiting REAL ID implementation: Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Louisiana, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia, Washington.

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2015/05/17/3805318/officially-idaho-refuses-to-comply.html#storylink=cpy
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 08:27:10 am »

Turns out I wasn’t far off in my comment about thwarting an evil NATO plot:

Legislative leaders say they will again try to address the issue in the 2016 session, but do not sound optimistic. A vocal segment of the Legislature and the public believe Real ID is at best an unwarranted federal mandate and at worst a ploy to gather information it has no right to obtain, including biometric data such as fingerprints, DNA and retinal scans.

But there’s this:

Such biometric data is not included in the information required by the Real ID Act, however, and the Department of Homeland Security, which oversees Real ID, says there is no national driver’s license database, as is sometimes claimed.
Most of the Real ID Act requirements relate to documents used to obtain state identification cards and “physical security features” to prevent falsification.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/government/real-id-poses-potential-real-problems-for-those-with-oklahoma/article_be353bec-be02-5ea4-a6c7-ddad05ae22d5.html

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 10:03:19 am »

Making it even more fun, when I renewed my Oklahoma Driver's License last month --- I HAD TO LET THEM DIGITALLY SCAN MY FINGER PRINTS! That's an Oklahoma requirement, not a REAL ID requirement. How bass-ackwards is that?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 10:06:34 am »

Making it even more fun, when I renewed my Oklahoma Driver's License last month --- I HAD TO LET THEM DIGITALLY SCAN MY FINGER PRINTS! That's an Oklahoma requirement, not a REAL ID requirement. How bass-ackwards is that?

Interesting.  Are you talking about just the index finger or all fingers?  I know the last time I renewed I just had to do left and right index finger.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 10:52:32 am »

CDL has required that for a long time.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 12:25:39 pm »

Interesting.  Are you talking about just the index finger or all fingers?  I know the last time I renewed I just had to do left and right index finger.

I think it was just my index finger. Since I am an attorney, I had to submit all my finger prints to the OSBI anyway - so no big deal to me. Just funny that Oklahoma requires it, but freaks out when they *think* Uncle Sam does.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 12:33:09 pm »

I think it was just my index finger. Since I am an attorney, I had to submit all my finger prints to the OSBI anyway - so no big deal to me. Just funny that Oklahoma requires it, but freaks out when they *think* Uncle Sam does.

Yeah, that index finger thing has been a requirement since the DL redesign happened about 10 years ago.

And same here..I'm a carry permit holder so I had to do the whole white card fingerprint process at the TCSO before I could submit my application.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 01:26:30 pm »

Takes full set of fingerprints to get TSA Pre-check so you don't have to take your shoes off going through security.  Oh, that and $85.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 01:31:30 pm »

Yeah, that index finger thing has been a requirement since the DL redesign happened about 10 years ago.

...and I understand thats mostly theater, as well.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org