A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:37:29 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Full Moon Cafe  (Read 20552 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« on: September 22, 2015, 12:03:17 pm »

Even with development going on next door, the Full Moon is going the way of the Wolfgang Puck Bistro.

But you can buy a souvenir... maybe a bar stool or a dozen:

http://www.dakil.com/event/full-moon-cafe-tulsa?instance_id=1274

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 12:19:45 pm »

Even with development going on next door, the Full Moon is going the way of the Wolfgang Puck Bistro.

But you can buy a souvenir... maybe a bar stool or a dozen:

http://www.dakil.com/event/full-moon-cafe-tulsa?instance_id=1274

Held together by gum.

I made the mistake of eating at the Full Moon about 5 years ago and lord was it awful...how can you mess up a sandwich?
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 01:32:16 pm »

We finally tried it once early this year - not long after Christmas.  Would never go back.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 02:00:20 pm »

Believe it or not, this place was my go to hockey pregame for a beer and some dinner.  In the late nineties they were pretty good.  I quite going right around the Y2K transition.  Glad I haven't been back.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 02:51:59 pm »

The Full Moon made it roughly 28 years, that’s really good in a fickle restaurant environment like Tulsa.  IIRC, it opened in ’87 or ’88 and survived a few ownership changes.  It was quite the hang-out in the late ’80’s & early ’90’s and helped lead the renaissance of Cherry Street along with the 15th St., Grill 15th St. Wok, Mary’s, and several other places.

When Hal and Greg still had the place, the quality was always good or they would make good on it.  I just don’t think Tony Henry gives a flip about quality. 

Looking at the remaining equipment it looks clapped-out, filthy, and obsolete. 

The only thing I’d be interested in is a glycol chiller system for beer lines which I did not see listed.  If anyone knows of someone who has some such thing in working order they’d like to get rid of, I’d like to buy one.  It’s a fermentation temp control project for the home brewery.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 05:10:11 pm »

Nothing in that joint worth a smile.....

rebound
City Father

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 06:00:24 pm »

The Full Moon made it roughly 28 years, that’s really good in a fickle restaurant environment like Tulsa.  IIRC, it opened in ’87 or ’88 and survived a few ownership changes.  It was quite the hang-out in the late ’80’s & early ’90’s and helped lead the renaissance of Cherry Street along with the 15th St., Grill 15th St. Wok, Mary’s, and several other places.

When Hal and Greg still had the place, the quality was always good or they would make good on it.  I just don’t think Tony Henry gives a flip about quality. 

Looking at the remaining equipment it looks clapped-out, filthy, and obsolete. 

The only thing I’d be interested in is a glycol chiller system for beer lines which I did not see listed.  If anyone knows of someone who has some such thing in working order they’d like to get rid of, I’d like to buy one.  It’s a fermentation temp control project for the home brewery.

Hey, I graduated OSU in 87 and practically lived at the Full Moon for a year so.  I think it opened early 88, and my apartment-mate and I would be there multiple times a week.  It was a cool place back then, with a great looking wait staff and a good group of regulars.   When I moved back up to Tulsa 10 years ago I took my wife in there to show her around, and was really let down.  I think It tried it a couple of times over the last few years and finally just gave up.  Sad to see it go.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 08:01:44 am »

Doesn't necessarily mean it was great...  There is a little Mexican restaurant in Claremore called El Charro....most disgusting food on the planet!!  And yet, for some reason the locals seem to flock there like moths to a flame!  Or maybe closer to like flies to a pile of carp...  Either way, it has been around for more than 20 years and it is all I can do to keep the group from going there when I have occasion to be in that direction for lunch!!  Sometimes I get shouted down, though... Blech!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 10:49:11 am »

I was attending TU in the late 1980s and we were thrilled when Full Moon opened in 1988.  It meant we no longer had to trek from The Hofbrau to Outer Urban and then back to SRO on Friday nights.  Full Moon became our go to hang out spot (sometimes JRs on 11th, but is was always full of undergrads), although I don’t think we ate there very often. I remember a band frequently playing there in which the keyboard player played a saxophone using some sort of mouthpiece that went through his keyboard.  Anyone remember the name of the band?

I visited the Full Moon in the late 1990s after I moved back to Tulsa and the bowl of cheese called soup just didn’t do it for me and I haven’t been there in at least 10 years.  I’m sad to see it close for nostalgia, but hopeful something good will move into this prime spot.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 10:52:40 am »

I was attending TU in the late 1980s and we were thrilled when Full Moon opened in 1988.  It meant we no longer had to trek from The Hofbrau to Outer Urban and then back to SRO on Friday nights.  Full Moon became our go to hang out spot (sometimes JRs on 11th, but is was always full of undergrads), although I don’t think we ate there very often. I remember a band frequently playing there in which the keyboard player played a saxophone using some sort of mouthpiece that went through his keyboard.  Anyone remember the name of the band?

I visited the Full Moon in the late 1990s after I moved back to Tulsa and the bowl of cheese called soup just didn’t do it for me and I haven’t been there in at least 10 years.  I’m sad to see it close for nostalgia, but hopeful something good will move into this prime spot.

"The Hofbrau to Outer Urban and then back to SRO on Friday nights."

Oh man, that is so right!   You and I ran in the same circles.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 11:16:03 am »

Ah JR's where all the underage drinkers were. Anyone recall The Tap Room? Maple Ridge Grill/Boston's?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 03:04:32 pm »

Ah JR's where all the underage drinkers were. Anyone recall The Tap Room? Maple Ridge Grill/Boston's?

I’m still trying to remember which building the Tap Room was in on 15th.  I’m down that way all the time but can’t remember which cross street it was nearest to.  Great little dive.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 03:34:20 pm »

I’m still trying to remember which building the Tap Room was in on 15th.  I’m down that way all the time but can’t remember which cross street it was nearest to.  Great little dive.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1405555,-95.9455326,3a,75y,174.53h,80.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5VTLq3tG3uGvjEypsXn61A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 08:21:16 pm »

Ah, ABC Rental...

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 09:46:33 pm »

Right building, wrong end of the building.

Marc and Don Hopkins owned it, my good friend the late Ainslie Perrault was a bartender.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 10:09:33 pm by swake » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org