A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:55:24 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Umberto's Pizza on 21st and Harvard  (Read 16368 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2016, 12:05:15 pm »

Remember when 21st and Harvard had a Mexican place, and a drug store, and a pizza joint... all fronted to the street? Remember when the other side had 2 or 3 multi story buildings fronting the street?

We traded all of that for a bigger QT (already had a QT) and a different drug store.

For the win?

I don’t remember the Mexican place.  Where was that?

Speaking of the QT at 21st & Harvard, it’s only got to be a matter of time before they buy up the space to the north and lots to the west so they can do another one of those 80,000 square foot heat islands.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 03:56:02 pm »

I don’t remember the Mexican place.  Where was that?

The Mexican place was between Brownies and the old pharmacy. In its last incarnation it was painted yellow and had a front deck that went up too the sidewalk. The entry was to the south, where the CVS entrance now is off of Harvard, and most of the parking was in the rear. Much like now the lot tied in strangely to the Optometry place and you could/can weasel your way back to the old Umbertos location. It was great to sit on that deck because you could see the intersection at 21st and Harvard, the QT, the bus stop... if conversation got dull there was always something odd going on there. not too mention sitting outside some days is simply a must. Inside it had crappy red tile floor, bulls painted on the walls. I think it was called El Toro at one point, then Blazin' Peppers.

It was called several things since 2003. Its second to last incarnation (which lasted ~5 years) was my favorite Mexican place in Tulsa before El Tequila came along (with due respect to Rio Verde). The last incarnation was "meh" and it died a year or two before being bulldozed for the CVS. Google Street View history has a picture of it.

Side note: what's the best storage place that allows hotlinking to images? Google makes it difficult.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 04:14:06 pm »

Side note: what's the best storage place that allows hotlinking to images? Google makes it difficult.

imgur.com
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 04:14:55 pm »

Ahh, the old Long John Silver’s!

Completely forgot about that place.  It was a biker bar for a bit prior to being a Mexican place, I believe.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2016, 04:15:16 pm »

The Mexican place was between Brownies and the old pharmacy. In its last incarnation it was painted yellow and had a front deck that went up too the sidewalk. The entry was to the south, where the CVS entrance now is off of Harvard, and most of the parking was in the rear. Much like now the lot tied in strangely to the Optometry place and you could/can weasel your way back to the old Umbertos location. It was great to sit on that deck because you could see the intersection at 21st and Harvard, the QT, the bus stop... if conversation got dull there was always something odd going on there. not too mention sitting outside some days is simply a must. Inside it had crappy red tile floor, bulls painted on the walls. I think it was called El Toro at one point, then Blazin' Peppers.

It was called several things since 2003. Its second to last incarnation (which lasted ~5 years) was my favorite Mexican place in Tulsa before El Tequila came along (with due respect to Rio Verde). The last incarnation was "meh" and it died a year or two before being bulldozed for the CVS. Google Street View history has a picture of it.

I think that building was originally an Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2016, 04:19:11 pm »

I think that building was originally an Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips.

There was an Arthur Treacher’s at 31st & Yale, something was telling me that prior to LJS, this one may have been a Treacher’s as well, but that’s reaching really far back into dead brain matter.

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2016, 04:25:00 pm »

A friend of mine was in line at that ljs's when a gun wielding robber came in.... All he could think about was the "Sirloin Stockade" and took his chance and ran out the door.....

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2016, 04:28:13 pm »

There was an Arthur Treacher’s at 31st & Yale, something was telling me that prior to LJS, this one may have been a Treacher’s as well, but that’s reaching really far back into dead brain matter.

My grandfather loved the place. Ate there all the time.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2016, 12:46:27 pm »

(transplanting a stray thread)

The 21st and Harvard corner is a great example. In 10 years that area went from interesting, funky, and quasi urban... to a suburban intersection. Multi story street fronted buildings were replaced with single use structures with parking out front.  Umbertos fronted brick building is being replaced with a setback strip mall.

Now, in many instances, dilapidated buildings were also replaced with new shiny buildings. But reason we had to give up character to achieve new and shiny.  I understand the same restrictions aren't in place, and I'm not blaming anyone for the development at 21st and Harvard, but if I wanted new and shiny with no character, I'd live in Owasso.

The property co. has renderings posted at the construction site, but I was hoping for something on the web:

http://www.wigginprop.com/properties/tulsa.php

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2018, 10:50:01 am »

This place looks to be complete. It is multiple units including the anchor tenant/owner Empire Optical and a math tutor place. It has 4 retail spots and a sizable Empire Optical building. Looks decent overall. It seems like an improvement overall except that they demolished the old building and pushed it back. 4 nice units is better than a dinky building with a couple small spaces.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/3224-E-21st-St-Tulsa-OK/14033430/

Before:
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.133233,-95.941358,3a,75y,220.24h,84.12t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sgBCYE2WSYFQ1kB4Vv96g7A!2e0!5s20160101T000000!7i13312!8i6656

In-process streetview from May 2018:
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1332285,-95.9413117,3a,75y,216.5h,87.47t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1suFeA_KtYbGMedrDpq1-2yA!2e0!5s20180501T000000!7i13312!8i6656
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2018, 12:24:09 pm »

Is the former Empire Optical structure to remain or become parking lot?

To answer my own question:
https://tulsa.wigginprop.com/listings/pdfs/Empire%20Center.pdf

parking lot
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 12:25:43 pm by BKDotCom » Logged
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2018, 02:01:14 pm »

Is the former Empire Optical structure to remain or become parking lot?

To answer my own question:
https://tulsa.wigginprop.com/listings/pdfs/Empire%20Center.pdf

parking lot

Shucks... I thought this was a pretty good development but considering they now destroy that building too, it is seeming like a wash. Destroy several street-facing buildings and replace with nicer newer mostly suburban-style shopping strip. It looks like there's actually 4-5 retail spots and office space upstairs so it does add some things. Overall a pretty expensive development when they could've just built another eye care building.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org