A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:53:13 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is the BA so crappy?  (Read 16510 times)
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2015, 04:02:14 pm »

Frankly I really don't care. Let it crumble. I don't know why anyone else would care either. Get people off the highways, slow people down on the roadways, lets create good infill development, if that causes congestion, alleviate it by getting good transit going. Lets start bending the curve away from a sprawling auto centric culture to a transit/pedestrian friendly one.

Ya....That'll work.....!!!

shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2015, 04:31:37 pm »

I'm with Artist on this one.  Let it get so bad people stop using it.

If it gets so bad that I can't get to downtown in under 20-30mins, I'll stop going. So will everyone else from South Tulsa. I'm totally for the push for urbanism and less car-centric design, but there will always be a need for highways no matter what.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2015, 04:38:35 pm »

I hope they are planning to use concrete. The road simply has too much traffic for asphalt to last.

I hope they use some decent concrete, not the crap they usually use.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2015, 06:42:43 pm »

Frankly I really don't care. Let it crumble. I don't know why anyone else would care either. Get people off the highways, slow people down on the roadways, lets create good infill development, if that causes congestion, alleviate it by getting good transit going. Lets start bending the curve away from a sprawling auto centric culture to a transit/pedestrian friendly one.

Unless/until there is a viable transit system, I think a lot of folks would care.  Where do you think all those cars would go and what would be the effect on those roads?  I've tried to get home from Utica Square and the 31st & Harvard area by not using the BA a few times went the BA was already stopped up.  The alternates are already not pretty.  Think of all the extra car exhaust in the summer and the local ozone levels.  Good transit would help reduce the jam but I believe "alleviate" is bit too strong and wishful thinking.  Philadelphia, PA area has had useful transit for decades yet the roads are still packed.  Remember too that transit made the suburbs possible before the automobile became so affordable to the masses.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2015, 06:45:00 pm »

If it gets so bad that I can't get to downtown in under 20-30mins, I'll stop going. So will everyone else from South Tulsa.

I think that is the plan.  Get everyone to give up the suburbs and pack into apartments downtown.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2015, 08:28:53 pm »

I think that is the plan.  Get everyone to give up the suburbs and pack into apartments downtown.

Oh, ya got me.  Hope you all don't find out I am actually part of that UN plot to take over the world by having everyone living in dense urban cities so we can control you all better.  Such a bother when our black helicopters have to cover such huge amounts of sprawl.  Ooops.  Tongue 

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2015, 09:02:37 pm »

Oh, ya got me.  Hope you all don't find out I am actually part of that UN plot to take over the world by having everyone living in dense urban cities so we can control you all better.  Such a bother when our black helicopters have to cover such huge amounts of sprawl.  Ooops.  Tongue 

Grin

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2015, 10:00:20 am »

Unless/until there is a viable transit system, I think a lot of folks would care.  Where do you think all those cars would go and what would be the effect on those roads?  I've tried to get home from Utica Square and the 31st & Harvard area by not using the BA a few times went the BA was already stopped up.  The alternates are already not pretty.  Think of all the extra car exhaust in the summer and the local ozone levels.  Good transit would help reduce the jam but I believe "alleviate" is bit too strong and wishful thinking.  Philadelphia, PA area has had useful transit for decades yet the roads are still packed.  Remember too that transit made the suburbs possible before the automobile became so affordable to the masses.

DC is similar.  Good transit that lots of people use, but rush hour is still a parking lot.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2015, 11:08:41 am »

Hey, it worked for me.  I got tired of the 20+ minute drive every day to/from Owasso over terrible roads, and we moved our family to midtown.  I agree that getting rid of the BA isn't really an option, but I'm generally with the Artist.  Combine a more attractive downtown/midtown (in all that entails) with more difficulty and time in making the trip from the 'burbs, and  there will be a segment of the population that makes the move.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2015, 11:14:50 am »

If it gets so bad that I can't get to downtown in under 20-30mins, I'll stop going. So will everyone else from South Tulsa. I'm totally for the push for urbanism and less car-centric design, but there will always be a need for highways no matter what.

I live in S Tulsa.  I thought my commute would be Hell when Riverside closed but I get DT in 20 minutes using Creek and 75 in the AM and I get home in about 30 using Lewis.

Why would you get on the BA living in South Tulsa?
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2015, 05:04:25 pm »

Hey, it worked for me.  I got tired of the 20+ minute drive every day to/from Owasso over terrible roads, and we moved our family to midtown.  I agree that getting rid of the BA isn't really an option, but I'm generally with the Artist.  Combine a more attractive downtown/midtown (in all that entails) with more difficulty and time in making the trip from the 'burbs, and  there will be a segment of the population that makes the move.

I consider most of midtown to actually be suburbs.  Close in suburbs but suburbs none the less.  I agree that a terrible commute will make more people want to live in closer, right up until the price of housing thinks it's California.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2015, 05:06:04 pm »

I live in S Tulsa.  I thought my commute would be Hell when Riverside closed but I get DT in 20 minutes using Creek and 75 in the AM and I get home in about 30 using Lewis.

Why would you get on the BA living in South Tulsa?

Those of us who live a bit farther east of you hop on 169 to the BA to go downtown. Same 20 minutes except for all the traffic lights on Memorial.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org