A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:54:37 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downtown Bus Loop  (Read 20675 times)
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2015, 12:28:23 pm »

I’ve not looked into their light rail system, but guessing there must be a connector from downtown Denver to KDEN.

Not yet, it opens in April 2016.  They are saying 38 min from the airport terminal to downtown Union Station with 6 stops in between, running $10/ticket one-way.  The cost for the 23 mile line is $1.1 billion.

TIA has an existing rail line next to it that runs 7 miles directly into downtown.  Not sure how many, if any, stops would be between the two but running a similar train as Denver could get you there in 10 min. with the only new track being built from the tracks toward the terminal (about a 1/4 mile).  Maybe we could build a new hotel over ours too.  Smiley

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2015, 02:15:14 pm »

Not yet, it opens in April 2016.  They are saying 38 min from the airport terminal to downtown Union Station with 6 stops in between, running $10/ticket one-way.  The cost for the 23 mile line is $1.1 billion.

TIA has an existing rail line next to it that runs 7 miles directly into downtown.  Not sure how many, if any, stops would be between the two but running a similar train as Denver could get you there in 10 min. with the only new track being built from the tracks toward the terminal (about a 1/4 mile).  Maybe we could build a new hotel over ours too.  Smiley

I think BNSF will not be to interested in sharing that route with a commuter train running both directions. I lived at Pine & Memorial for seven years and it averaged about one inbound or outbound every three hours.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2015, 10:08:07 am »

Thats interesting.  I wonder if their downtown is more "walkable" or stayed more walkable/pedestrian lively and didn't empty out as much as ours did?    Also, perhaps it could just be an attitude that a few adopted and kept and then grew over time.  I think we can create that here if a few people decide to. Once that idea gets started and people see it and others follow, it would take on a life of its own.  

Doesn't feel any more 'walkable' - similar walking.  The downtown has been rejuvenated in recent decades, as has ours.  They are quite a bit bigger metro area (double-ish), so have more resources, but that is a proportional thing.  They started back from the urban renewal debacle sooner than we.  The city/state has not been afraid or reluctant to fund things that are good for the entire population rather than just the select few.  Until recent Scott Walker years, where they have slid quite a bit relative to their neighbors (Minnesota specifically).

Definitely an attitude that has evolved.  Not sure whether intentional or incidental.  I have one of those 'gut feeling' things about how they achieve at least some of this.  Parking.  Repetitive moment;  They have a lot of parking scattered around town.  It is relatively expensive, and a lot of it is concentrated towards the south around the interstate.  There is a surprising amount of parking under I-794, east of the river - thousands of spaces.

When you park for the day there is enough parking pressure that there is a lot of reluctance to try to go anywhere by car during the day - no in and out allowed.   The mindset has been programmed in by the incentives provided that one just walks wherever you want to go - just like you speculate about - becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.  It is, "Once I find a spot, I'm not moving and taking a chance on losing it..."    And it is usually easier/closer/faster just to walk.

And that is also kind of odd, 'cause when we have had to leave for a while, it was never too hard to find a place again, sometimes within feet of where we were.  Just cost the same price again....   Weekly and monthly parkers don't have the cost issues...just the hassle of finding a place nearby.   Its' still just easier to walk...

Anecdote moment;  While walking around one day, found an obviously old human worked stone in the sidewalk with a marker/plaque.  During some renovation 20 years ago or so, this was dug up from about 6 feet deep.  It was one of the original sidewalk stones from about 1800 or so... can't remember exact date.  Mindset to use that again as part of the new sidewalk is different.  We would probably be more likely to haul it to a landfill.   They also mark sidewalks with a date plaque on when it was renovated/rebuilt.  Some back to the 70's IIRC.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 10:13:10 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2015, 02:34:54 pm »

Anecdote moment;  While walking around one day, found an obviously old human worked stone in the sidewalk with a marker/plaque.  During some renovation 20 years ago or so, this was dug up from about 6 feet deep.  It was one of the original sidewalk stones from about 1800 or so... can't remember exact date.  Mindset to use that again as part of the new sidewalk is different.  We would probably be more likely to haul it to a landfill.   They also mark sidewalks with a date plaque on when it was renovated/rebuilt.

That hand-worked stone almost certainly would have been hauled away in Tulsa.

Recently, the City spent millions of dollars to re-pave some street and sidewalks in my neighborhood (near 16th & Carson).  Some of the old sidewalks were in good condition, and the concrete was stamped with "E.W. POTEE CONTRACTOR" with the date "1912" handwritten within the impression.  I specifically asked the City that the stamps be saved, but they weren't.   
davideinstein
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2015, 09:35:28 pm »

The one thing that might help is the app where you can track it like uber so there'll be no standing around waiting for it.

Great idea.
takemebacktotulsa
Citizen

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2015, 04:07:45 pm »

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/night-life-bus-route-announced-tulsa#stream/0
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2015, 05:48:42 pm »

Ok, I tried to use the trip planner like I might suggest a customer do at my shop if they were asking how to get to say the Brady Theater.  I typed in 6th Boston Tulsa and used the Brady Theater as a "landmark" destination and it showed that I had to apparently use several bus routes and took you all the way to Pine and Peoria before looping back into downtown and then the Brady Theater.

Is there a map of just the downtown bus route on the Transit website anywhere?   I would like to know where the stop is thats by my store downtown and where the other stops are as well and be able to show that to visitors and customers.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2015, 08:30:27 pm »

Ok, I tried to use the trip planner like I might suggest a customer do at my shop if they were asking how to get to say the Brady Theater.  I typed in 6th Boston Tulsa and used the Brady Theater as a "landmark" destination and it showed that I had to apparently use several bus routes and took you all the way to Pine and Peoria before looping back into downtown and then the Brady Theater.

Is there a map of just the downtown bus route on the Transit website anywhere?   I would like to know where the stop is thats by my store downtown and where the other stops are as well and be able to show that to visitors and customers.

Good enough for government work...
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2015, 09:13:14 pm »

Tulsa Transit unveiled their new party bus today, complete with custom underbody and interior lighting and a UFO picture on the side.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2015, 07:39:28 am »

Originally the "Trolley" was initiated and fully funded by local businesses.

Agree with sgrizzle, this thing needs to run 6AM to 2AM and run every 10 minutes or better during peak hours to build ridership.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2015, 07:55:24 am »

Tulsa Transit unveiled their new party bus today, complete with custom underbody and interior lighting and a UFO picture on the side.

Or as my wife said "It's looks like someone stumbled out of the Studio 54 bathroom in 1978 and threw up all over that bus."
cbs
Citizen

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2015, 10:03:16 am »

Originally the "Trolley" was initiated and fully funded by local businesses.

Contrary to what a lot of people here seem to think, the trolley was not 100% funded by local businesses. I think it was something like ~70% local business/private donaters funded though.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2015, 12:36:21 pm »

I figured that if it ever proved itself that MTTA would dispose of it one way or another. It seems most entrepreneurs have a short business lifespan.

onward...through the fog
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2015, 01:27:55 pm »

Contrary to what a lot of people here seem to think, the trolley was not 100% funded by local businesses. I think it was something like ~70% local business/private donaters funded though.

That must explain why it always stopped at the Guthrie Green.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2015, 03:09:32 pm »

Here it is:

More photos:
https://www.facebook.com/TulsaTransit/posts/10153509977012435
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org