A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:58:02 am
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Iron Gate  (Read 115233 times)
MostSeriousness
Civic Leader

« Reply #270 on: September 22, 2017, 12:32:31 pm »

The initial proposal (when they released it at an Iron Gate event) had a traffic study that said no risk in the area, with the recommendation of a traffic light at either 7th and Elgin or 7th and Kenosha (don't remember which). No risk would probably not need an additional light, and an additional light right there would be...fun
AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #271 on: September 23, 2017, 11:57:50 am »

So if I'm reading that right they'll be baiting homeless people to cross 7th street right where people are coming off of highway 75 at 60 MPH...

Those drivers are looking to merge...not looking for pedestrians.

Those using Iron Gate and driving will be turning into the new property...Carnac the Magnificent sees many collisions.

There's going to be some deaths occurring there.

This.  In particular, it will be very ugly in the morning.
MostSeriousness
Civic Leader

« Reply #272 on: September 26, 2017, 07:37:32 am »

Conflicting sites - The Frontier has four or so pegged as 'potentials' per some Open Records Act emails

https://www.readfrontier.org/stories/iron-gate-receives-ok-to-build-at-7th-and-kenosha-but-records-show-nonprofit-worked-with-city-county-officials-for-months-to-secure-site-near-tulsa-jail/
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #273 on: March 19, 2018, 10:56:53 pm »

John 3:16 and the Day Center are both in this area.  Seems to make sense to keep it closer rather than further away from other entities which serve the homeless and down on their luck.

Sounds like Iron Gate may be moving to this area after all if their board approves it.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/downtown/county-commission-vote-would-let-iron-gate-relocate-to-land/article_c8aa4f9c-dafc-5629-8494-98a3ac2aa4eb.html

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #274 on: March 20, 2018, 07:34:09 am »

Commissioner John Smaligo opposed the deal though. He doesn’t like the 99-year term of the lease, and has other fears, including what he says is the possibility the site could eventually become a marijuana dispensary.
http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/after-arguments-pro-and-con-county-leaders-okay-site-where-iron-gate-could-expand

Does anyone know where that fear comes from?  Seems odd.  Even if there is some reason to think that's a dangerous and top of mind possibility, it's not like that would be the thing holding back development in the area. I must be missing something.

Or is the marijuana that much of a deep seeded fear?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #275 on: March 20, 2018, 07:44:44 am »

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/after-arguments-pro-and-con-county-leaders-okay-site-where-iron-gate-could-expand

Does anyone know where that fear comes from?  Seems odd.  Even if there is some reason to think that's a dangerous and top of mind possibility, it's not like that would be the thing holding back development in the area. I must be missing something.

Or is the marijuana that much of a deep seeded fear?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #276 on: March 20, 2018, 03:39:54 pm »

The concern about it becoming a medical marijuana dispensary is odd, but if Smalligo is right about the 99 year lease automatically renewing, then this really is essentially the transfer of public property to a private entity under the guise of a “lease.”
MostSeriousness
Civic Leader

« Reply #277 on: March 21, 2018, 07:09:23 am »

Isn't that subject just to it being after the 99 years? I imagine if the Jazz Depot continues its problems, the County could easily pull the plug on the lease. The same for this potential Iron Gate spot.
cbs
Citizen

« Reply #278 on: March 21, 2018, 11:01:34 am »

I imagine if the Jazz Depot continues its problems, the County could easily pull the plug on the lease.

Jazz Depot is having problems? Not surprised at all. Worst managed place I've ever been. I know not 1 but 2 friends who had booked & paid for their weddings which got canceled week-of due to mismanagement. Also absolutely impossible to communicate with.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #279 on: March 21, 2018, 11:02:15 am »

Isn't that subject just to it being after the 99 years? I imagine if the Jazz Depot continues its problems, the County could easily pull the plug on the lease. The same for this potential Iron Gate spot.

The differences here is, I assume, that this is a ground lease and Iron Gate will be responsible for building whatever building they will use on the site.  A 99-year ground lease in a commercial transaction is not uncommon.  I don’t know how common it is for Tulsa County to grant 99-year ground leases, but I would think that is somewhat unusual.  Moreover, a 99-year ground lease in which two lease payments are made in the first 2 years and no payments are due thereafter really looks like a land sale disguised as a ground lease.  The fact the lease has, according to Smaligo, an automatic 99-year renewal term (making it effectively a 198-year lease) makes it look even more like a sale disguised as a lease.  The article says the County’s lawyer signed off on the deal as being legal.  That may be so, and if it is, then there may be a significant loophole in the law.
MostSeriousness
Civic Leader

« Reply #280 on: March 21, 2018, 12:38:20 pm »

Jazz Depot is having problems? Not surprised at all. Worst managed place I've ever been. I know not 1 but 2 friends who had booked & paid for their weddings which got canceled week-of due to mismanagement. Also absolutely impossible to communicate with.

Haven't seen anything recently, but they've been on the wrong side of the PR animal in the past few years with bad dealings, payment issues, etc.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #281 on: March 22, 2018, 02:13:42 pm »

I hope one day Union Depot is turned back into a working train station and more people will be able to appreciate the Deco architecture.  The Jazz HOF never made much sense being there.

AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #282 on: March 23, 2018, 10:54:51 am »

I hope one day Union Depot is turned back into a working train station and more people will be able to appreciate the Deco architecture.  The Jazz HOF never made much sense being there.

Agreed.  That would be great.  Likewise, I have to believe the building would have been better used for another purpose.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #283 on: March 23, 2018, 11:31:17 am »

Agreed.  That would be great.  Likewise, I have to believe the building would have been better used for another purpose.

To put it in context, the train depot at one point was vacant for about 20 years and speculation was rampant it might be torn down.  Something is better than nothing in this case.  I suspect if it were managed better, it would seem to have a fitting place in the building.  I've been to events there and it is a really good event space.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #284 on: March 26, 2018, 07:46:00 am »

How did I miss those great parties when I was young...??

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org