A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:54:48 am
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Iron Gate  (Read 116552 times)
LeGenDz
Activist

« Reply #150 on: October 19, 2016, 05:10:36 pm »

Just seen on the news that Iron Gate is trying to build on 7th and Kenosha/Elgin now.. Huh

http://www.fox23.com/news/iron-gate-plans-new-location/458662530

saintnicster
« Reply #151 on: October 20, 2016, 08:49:25 am »

Just seen on the news that Iron Gate is trying to build on 7th and Kenosha/Elgin now.. Huh

That's what TulsaGoldenHurriCAN last posted
davideinstein
« Reply #152 on: October 20, 2016, 06:53:35 pm »

They will need to slow 7th traffic down if so.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #153 on: October 22, 2016, 07:36:09 am »

So amusing that the DCC and downtown developers who fought so hard against overlays ("How DARE you try to take away my god-given property rights!") ("Downtown is so valuable because there are no rules limiting what you can build...") will now be the ones fighting this development.

Oh, so you only want to avoid regulations that apply to you... but you're pretty happy to regulate others. Hmmmmm. What's that word? Oh yeah, hypocrites.
johrasephoenix
« Reply #154 on: October 22, 2016, 12:23:00 pm »

It's gotta go somewhere and the current location at Trinity isn't ideal.  Currently its right in the heart of the Deco District next to the soon-to-be-renovated Tulsa Club and way too small so long lines form.  A bigger space and they could bring it all internal which greatly reduces some of the negative impact on surrounding property people associate with Iron Gate.

That proposed spot doesn't seem bad.  It's out of the way and there's nothing currently there.  Market rate development would be challenging because its pretty far from the activity centers and right next to the two highway ramps. 

I do think an even better option would be the western side of downtown over by the IDL and Heavy Traffic Way.  There's nothing over there except some light industry so no consumer-oriented businesses would be pissed off.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #155 on: October 22, 2016, 01:06:47 pm »

Agree re: the west side by Heavy Traffic Way/Lawton Ave. if you really wanted it out-of-the-way.  But this location isn't bad hopefully the design prevents lines of hungry homeless forming down 7th and scaring away suburbanites coming into downtown.   Wink

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #156 on: October 22, 2016, 11:34:39 pm »

Turley would be a good place...

Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #157 on: October 23, 2016, 09:20:47 pm »

Currently [Iron Gate is] right in the heart of the Deco District next to the soon-to-be-renovated Tulsa Club...

Trinity Episcopal is not in the Deco District.  Currently, Iron Gate is not in the Deco District.  The current location is east of the Deco District.

davideinstein
« Reply #158 on: October 23, 2016, 09:24:52 pm »

Trinity Episcopal is not in the Deco District.  Currently, Iron Gate is not in the Deco District.  The current location is east of the Deco District.

Literally right across the street.
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #159 on: October 23, 2016, 10:24:36 pm »

Literally right across the street.

True.  The Tulsa Club Building is literally on the eastern edge of the Deco District.  Iron Gate is not right in the heart of the Deco District.  Iron Gate is not in the Deco District at all.

Literally and figuratively, the heart of the Deco District is somewhere within the Deco District, in my opinion.

Iron Gate's current location could be described as "near the heart of the Deco District." 

Map from Deco District's website:

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #160 on: October 24, 2016, 07:33:30 am »

The Pearl District location was ideal.  If it can't go up there they'll never be allowed to do their work.  NIMBY often wins.
davideinstein
« Reply #161 on: October 24, 2016, 08:12:41 am »

True.  The Tulsa Club Building is literally on the eastern edge of the Deco District.  Iron Gate is not right in the heart of the Deco District.  Iron Gate is not in the Deco District at all.

Literally and figuratively, the heart of the Deco District is somewhere within the Deco District, in my opinion.

Iron Gate's current location could be described as "near the heart of the Deco District." 

Map from Deco District's website:

Bartlett Square is the heart. It for sure is a part of the Deco community. I honestly don't mind Iron Gate at all, I'll guarantee you that our merchants understand the issues and good more than other areas of town. The longer I'm there, the more accepting I become. It's weird how things change when you put a face to it.
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #162 on: October 24, 2016, 07:22:54 pm »

So amusing that the DCC and downtown developers who fought so hard against overlays ("How DARE you try to take away my god-given property rights!") ("Downtown is so valuable because there are no rules limiting what you can build...") will now be the ones fighting this development.

October 24, 2016 Tulsa World article by Mike Averill

Here's a bit of rationalization which doesn't make much sense to me:

The property now proposed for Iron Gate sits between multilane, one-way streets that provide highway access into and out of downtown.

True, but the current Iron Gate location sits between multilane, one-way streets that provide highway access into and out of downtown (Cincinnati and Detroit).

As I understand it, Iron Gate is constrained by limited interior space, not by adjacent one-way streets.  According to INCOG's traffic count map, 7th Street, near Frankfort, averages 12,900 vehicles per day.  8th Street, between Elgin and Kenosha, averages 9,900 vehicles per day.

A few months ago, Iron Gate was proposing a move to 3rd and Peoria.  The average daily traffic (ADT) count on Peoria between 3rd & 4th is 10,200.

The Rev Dr Martin Luther King Jr Boulevard's ADT count, between Archer and Mathew B Reconciliation Way, is 9,800. 
Cincinnati Ave, south of 13th Street, has an ADT count of 9,600.
Detroit Avenue's ADT between Archer and Mathew B Reconciliation Way is 9,300.  It's 7,100 just south of 13th Street. 

Another concern is that the proposed site is in an area that [owner of two nearby buildings Don] Maynard said was intended to be primarily residential.

I don't think the area was intended to be primarily residential.  If so, when?  Areas that are intended to be primarily residential are usually zoned for primarily residential development -- otherwise known as the "R" districts.

The area is intended to be used primarily for business activities.  That's why it's zoned as Tulsa's central business district (CBD).  I'd like to see more residential development downtown, but the site is zoned for commercial development, and it has been for decades.  Some types of residential uses, such as townhouses, apartments, and rooming/boarding houses, are allowed by right in the CBD.  Several other types of residential uses are allowed by special exception.

Other than the Coliseum Apartments, what residential developments are adjacent to the proposed Iron Gate property?

davideinstein
« Reply #163 on: October 24, 2016, 08:11:07 pm »

Turley would be a good place...

Actually, right where you can see people waiting in line for food is best. That's how you get change.
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #164 on: October 25, 2016, 05:33:22 pm »

It seems as though the case will be heading to district court, as three members of the Board of Adjustment are recusing themselves.

October 25, 2016 Tulsa World article by Mike Averill

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org