A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:55:25 am
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Iron Gate  (Read 115208 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #135 on: October 28, 2015, 02:56:54 pm »

Too bad the Pearl District didn't get Form Based Code...I'm told by a local real estate attorney Iron Gate would have had no issue moving into the property if the zoning and code had been updated the way the district folks wanted.

I also heard they could have zoned commercial, no-one would have known, and construction would have started by now.

TulsaNow and others urged them to be more up front and transparent not realizing that covert and backhanded was the only way to get it built.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #136 on: October 29, 2015, 06:29:24 am »

I also heard they could have zoned commercial, no-one would have known, and construction would have started by now.

TulsaNow and others urged them to be more up front and transparent not realizing that covert and backhanded was the only way to get it built.

I was among those encouraging my friends on the board to meet with the Pearl District folks about the project.  I was wrong in my impression that the compassion many of those in that area show in their personal lives would spill over into their real estate and business dealings.  Where I was most wrong was in underestimating the resistance that would come from the "East Village" folks.  From what I've gathered the ringleader of the resistance was a business owner inside the IDL.  Never thought that would happen, but you never know.

I think you've stumble on another T-Shirt idea...Tulsa, Covert & Backhanded Is the Only Way.  You should start selling these at Blake Ewing's t-shirt shop.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #137 on: October 29, 2015, 07:14:56 am »

I was among those encouraging my friends on the board to meet with the Pearl District folks about the project.  I was wrong in my impression that the compassion many of those in that area show in their personal lives would spill over into their real estate and business dealings.  Where I was most wrong was in underestimating the resistance that would come from the "East Village" folks.  From what I've gathered the ringleader of the resistance was a business owner inside the IDL.  Never thought that would happen, but you never know.

I think you've stumble on another T-Shirt idea...Tulsa, Covert & Backhanded Is the Only Way.  You should start selling these at Blake Ewing's t-shirt shop.

Blake Ewing was very vocal in supporting Iron Gate's decision to move there. During the city counsel meeting, he showed full support.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #138 on: October 29, 2015, 08:15:03 am »

Blake Ewing was very vocal in supporting Iron Gate's decision to move there. During the city counsel meeting, he showed full support.

I don't mean Blake...although he is a compassionate fellow from what I know.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #139 on: October 29, 2015, 11:18:24 am »

Too bad the Pearl District didn't get Form Based Code...I'm told by a local real estate attorney Iron Gate would have had no issue moving into the property if the zoning and code had been updated the way the district folks wanted.

Much like the county wanted to slip a juvenile jail in the middle of a northside commercial rejuvenation plan?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #140 on: October 29, 2015, 03:39:02 pm »

Much like the county wanted to slip a juvenile jail in the middle of a northside commercial rejuvenation plan?

Injecting a young workforce
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #141 on: October 30, 2015, 11:58:37 am »

You mean by bringing professional employment to the area? 

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #142 on: October 30, 2015, 12:34:40 pm »

You mean by bringing professional employment to the area? 

"Jailer" is professional employment?  Oh, I forgot about Jail Cook and Jail Nurse and the guy that keeps the $5/minute phone system running.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #143 on: October 30, 2015, 01:29:33 pm »

"Jailer" is professional employment?  Oh, I forgot about Jail Cook and Jail Nurse and the guy that keeps the $5/minute phone system running.
What jailers, Juvenile is not a Jail it is a small short term detention facility, an office building, a school and a court house.  For employment, let's try multiple Judges, Attorneys, Law Clerks, Teachers, Therapists, a few Deputies and yes a cook or two.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 01:35:47 pm by Vision 2025 » Logged

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #144 on: October 30, 2015, 05:25:38 pm »

Right. Those judges, attorneys, law clerks and teachers are going to move into the neighborhoods and help upgrade the community. Like they did the Gilcrease facility.

onward...through the fog
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #145 on: October 30, 2015, 05:31:33 pm »

Right. Those judges, attorneys, law clerks and teachers are going to move into the neighborhoods and help upgrade the community. Like they did the Gilcrease facility.

If it was located at the Storey Wrecker site they might live in Brady or Brady Heights.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #146 on: October 31, 2015, 09:51:24 am »

True enough.

There are professionals in north and west Tulsa. Moton clinic, OU med services, OSU has a presence, lots of lawyers, doctors, teachers and middle level bureaucrats with professional jobs. Of course its not Jenks or Owasso but they make do. Wink

onward...through the fog
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #147 on: September 29, 2016, 03:09:30 pm »

Believe it or not, it has been almost a year since we last heard any updates about this:

Iron Gate officials eyeing new location downtown

Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2016 2:11 pm
By Mike Averill Tulsa World | 0 comments
Officials with Iron Gate say they have found “the perfect site” to build a new soup kitchen and emergency grocery pantry.
The agency, which is currently housed at Trinity Episcopal Church, is looking at a 1.5-acre spot between Seventh and Eighth streets and Elgin and Kenosha avenues in downtown Tulsa to build a new location that would house the soup kitchen, pantry and administrative offices.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/iron-gate-officials-eyeing-new-location-downtown/article_c0664b07-7f96-579b-8d87-df654eb002e4.html

https://www.google.com/maps/place/36%C2%B009'04.0%22N+95%C2%B058'59.3%22W/@36.1511213,-95.9837997,18z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d36.15112!4d-95.983149

You could argue that this could even be a worse placement for this than the previous spot. 3rd and Peoria still has nothing of note right there even though there quite a bit of businesses/development in the general vicinity. It looks like this spot will be just south of the Nordam development. It will be on the same block as the Crossfit and the Broadway (venue?) across from Home Depot. Not the worst placement but will make the Nordam development a tougher sell on this side unless they have the rights to close off that street and make it a gated community (which I doubt).
davideinstein
« Reply #148 on: September 29, 2016, 04:01:49 pm »

There's never a good spot for a homeless shelter, but the wealthier the area the better if we are looking to address the problem at hand.
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #149 on: September 29, 2016, 05:33:54 pm »

Not the worst placement but will make the Nordam development a tougher sell on this side unless they have the rights to close off that street and make it a gated community (which I doubt).

Kenosha and Lansing between 4th & 6th are private streets, as are both 5th Street & 5th Place between Kenosha and Lansing.  The streets have been private for many years.  The developers could close, gate, and/or remove those streets, if they wish.  Much of 5th between Frankfort and Kenosha already has been closed and removed for decades, as has the entire 400 block of South Greenwood.

Google Maps "Street View" looking northwest from "5th & Greenwood" (although there are no actual streets at that "intersection" anymore, and haven't been for a very long time)

« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 05:39:47 pm by Bamboo World » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org