A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:58:06 am
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Santa Fe Square on the big surface parking lot in the Blue Dome...  (Read 184399 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2016, 02:22:48 pm »

Marriage made in developer Hell.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
NotRobertMoses
Tourist

« Reply #91 on: September 07, 2016, 12:10:43 pm »

Is the main facade of this development facing the corner of 1st and Greenwood or 2nd and Elgin?
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #92 on: September 07, 2016, 12:23:34 pm »

Is the main facade of this development facing the corner of 1st and Greenwood or 2nd and Elgin?

2nd & Elgin.  The parking garage is along Greenwood between 1st and 2nd.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #93 on: September 07, 2016, 03:19:23 pm »

2nd & Elgin.  The parking garage is along Greenwood between 1st and 2nd.

Doesn’t improve the view to the NW much from Urban8 or the Edge (pending renderings of course).

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #94 on: September 08, 2016, 12:50:38 pm »

For the past 2-3 weeks I’ve notice a drilling rig working around the parking lot.  Does anyone know if this is core sampling or some other activity related to Santa Fe Square, or just somebody who thinks drilling holes in a parking lot is fun?
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #95 on: September 09, 2016, 09:48:38 am »

For the past 2-3 weeks I’ve notice a drilling rig working around the parking lot.  Does anyone know if this is core sampling or some other activity related to Santa Fe Square, or just somebody who thinks drilling holes in a parking lot is fun?

Typically, they do core samples to see what kind of soil is there so they can design the foundation and change up the soil composition if needed. I would guess that is what they are doing. Good sign that the project is moving forward, but also a very early step.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #96 on: September 09, 2016, 02:02:42 pm »

Here’s a tenant announcement, though I think the 5000 square feet for a seven story hotel is a misprint:

Hotel Indigo coming to Santa Fe Square in downtown Tulsa

Photo gallery: 25 downtown development projects you should know about

Hotel Indigo, a national boutique hotel brand, is headed for Santa Fe Square in downtown Tulsa, developer Blue Dome Hotel Center LLC said Friday.

The seven-story, 5,000-square-foot hotel will be along Elgin Avenue between First and Second streets. It will be part of the mixed-use development at Santa Fe Square from Nelson Stowe, which has been billed by some as "really going to shift the needle."

The plan is to break ground on the hotel in the spring of 2017.

“My business partners and I had great success with the Fairfield Inn & Suites in the Brady Arts District that we sought out another opportunity in a similar area not currently being served by a hotel,” said Jeff Hartman, part of the ownership group and owner of SJS Hospitality, which will manage the hotel.

The hotel will feature a 1,500-square-foot meeting room, an upscale restaurant and bar with a private dining area and a state-of-the-art fitness studio. Guest rooms will have balconies that look out on ONEOK Field or on the Tulsa skyline. Patrons will have access to Santa Fe Square's 1,100-space parking garage.

The Hotel Indigo brand bills itself as being unique to each city that it's in, according to its website. It's a high-end brand and most of its dozens of locations in the U.S. are in large cities or their wealthy suburbs.

“Understanding the downtown market, we wanted to offer a product that is unique to Tulsa and integrated into the district," Hartman said.

“With Hotel Indigo, no two properties are the same and each one draws on the story of the local area to inspire every aspect of the hotel from intriguing design to distinctive local ingredients."

The hotel is the opening salvo in the Santa Fe Square development, which was announced about a year ago. The development will replace what's now a parking lot guarded by the old Santa Fe Rail Depot, which will be repurposed.

SJS Hospitality is a partnership among Hartman and Steve and Spike Ehrhardt. The group owns four hotels in metro  Tulsa.

Blue Dome Hotel Center LLC's ownership group includes Hartman, Greg Oilphant and David Sharp.

GH2 Hospitality Architects is designing the project, which will built by Clark Construction with financing from Valley National Bank.

Samuel Hardiman 918-581-8466

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/realestate/hotel-indigo-coming-to-santa-fe-square-in-downtown-tulsa/article_8821f483-d497-5a3f-b7d9-5497e352c6d1.html

TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #97 on: September 09, 2016, 02:20:37 pm »

Here’s a tenant announcement, though I think the 5000 square feet for a seven story hotel is a misprint:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/realestate/hotel-indigo-coming-to-santa-fe-square-in-downtown-tulsa/article_8821f483-d497-5a3f-b7d9-5497e352c6d1.html

It looks like each floor will be 5,000 square feet.

Patrons will have access to Santa Fe Square's 1,100-space parking garage.

When you look at earlier Santa Fe renderings, the guests will have to walk pretty far (almost 2 blocks) to get from parking spot to hotel room. Not a big deal for many wanting to experience a walkable urban area, but I wonder if they will opt to move the parking garage closer to the middle (I hope not, 2  blocks isn't that far). It seems surprising to me if the hotel developer is ok with that much of a distance for an upscale hotel, even if valet is used more commonly by the guests.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #98 on: September 09, 2016, 03:10:18 pm »

It looks like each floor will be 5,000 square feet.

When you look at earlier Santa Fe renderings, the guests will have to walk pretty far (almost 2 blocks) to get from parking spot to hotel room. Not a big deal for many wanting to experience a walkable urban area, but I wonder if they will opt to move the parking garage closer to the middle (I hope not, 2  blocks isn't that far). It seems surprising to me if the hotel developer is ok with that much of a distance for an upscale hotel, even if valet is used more commonly by the guests.

I see the World revised their figure after I’d posted that.  A valet is always an option to cater to the lazy people.

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #99 on: September 09, 2016, 04:02:57 pm »

The current area is a parking lot.   They're putting a hotel on the parking lot.   It's going to be too far to walk from the parking lot to the hotel built on the parking lot?

Distance between Elgin and Greenwood:  750 feet:
Distance from Woodland Hills food court entrance to outer parking space 590 ft
It appears that it's 300 feet from the parking garage's elevators to the hotel.
http://x.lnimg.com/attachments/AB8716BB-3952-469A-965E-A634B8E5900A.pdf
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #100 on: September 09, 2016, 07:03:50 pm »

The subject of walkability is mentioned twice in the September 9, 2016 Tulsa World article.  However, the Hotel Indigo rendering published with the September 9, 2016 Tulsa World story appears to show a pedestrian environment which is less friendly than the Santa Fe Square development drawings from about two years ago.

The Santa Fe Square drawings show the public sidewalk along the east side of Elgin protected with back-in angled parking and trees.  The Hotel Indigo rendering shows the public sidewalk interrupted by large curb cuts.

The Santa Fe Square drawings show a patio to the west of the hotel, with outdoor seating, tables, and umbrellas.  The Hotel Indigo rendering shows a vehicular drop-off area at that location, with no outdoor tables and chairs, and with no curb ramps for pedestrians or wheelchairs.

The Santa Fe Square drawings and the Hotel Indigo rendering show an on-site private street between the hotel and the office building, but the roadway appears to be much wider in the Hotel Indigo rendering, with approximately seven fewer curbside parking spaces than were shown on the Santa Fe Square drawings (about two fewer on the north side of the private street and about five fewer on the east side of Elgin).

At ground level on the site, the Hotel Indigo rendering shows eight motor vehicles and eight pedestrians.  On the 100 block of South Elgin, the Hotel Indigo rendering shows seven or eight motor vehicles using the public street, but only three pedestrians on the adjacent public sidewalk.    

« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 07:23:00 pm by Bamboo World » Logged
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #101 on: September 09, 2016, 09:09:49 pm »

The hotel drop off was originally shown as part of the existing building at 1st & Elgin, is that building still part of edge hotel or is it just the new building?  I prefer if there is a drop off that it is on 1st instead of Elgin. 

TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #102 on: September 12, 2016, 08:04:41 am »

The current area is a parking lot.   They're putting a hotel on the parking lot.   It's going to be too far to walk from the parking lot to the hotel built on the parking lot?

Distance between Elgin and Greenwood:  750 feet:
Distance from Woodland Hills food court entrance to outer parking space 590 ft
It appears that it's 300 feet from the parking garage's elevators to the hotel.
http://x.lnimg.com/attachments/AB8716BB-3952-469A-965E-A634B8E5900A.pdf

300 feet is great, however if they had to park at the back of the lot and were staying in middle/front of hotel it would be closer to 600-700 feet). I was just curious because the rendering has changed and didn't know how far that would be. Plus, a big upscale hotel developer is going to push what their clientele will want (and likely get concessions based on history). Bamboo posted a list of ways in which the new rendering is already significantly worse in terms of walkability. I don't think it was too far either way, personally (and for sake of downtown getting rid of so much parking).
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2016, 08:32:37 am »

The subject of walkability is mentioned twice in the September 9, 2016 Tulsa World article.  However, the Hotel Indigo rendering published with the September 9, 2016 Tulsa World story appears to show a pedestrian environment which is less friendly than the Santa Fe Square development drawings from about two years ago.

The Santa Fe Square drawings show the public sidewalk along the east side of Elgin protected with back-in angled parking and trees.  The Hotel Indigo rendering shows the public sidewalk interrupted by large curb cuts.

The Santa Fe Square drawings show a patio to the west of the hotel, with outdoor seating, tables, and umbrellas.  The Hotel Indigo rendering shows a vehicular drop-off area at that location, with no outdoor tables and chairs, and with no curb ramps for pedestrians or wheelchairs.

The Santa Fe Square drawings and the Hotel Indigo rendering show an on-site private street between the hotel and the office building, but the roadway appears to be much wider in the Hotel Indigo rendering, with approximately seven fewer curbside parking spaces than were shown on the Santa Fe Square drawings (about two fewer on the north side of the private street and about five fewer on the east side of Elgin).

At ground level on the site, the Hotel Indigo rendering shows eight motor vehicles and eight pedestrians.  On the 100 block of South Elgin, the Hotel Indigo rendering shows seven or eight motor vehicles using the public street, but only three pedestrians on the adjacent public sidewalk.    

Good call. I couldn't identify what the differences were exactly, but the new rendering looked much less walkable and more like a car drop-off area not designed for pedestrians. With as little info as they have in the renderings, it's a big loss for pedestrian-friendly development. Too late! Already got the TIFF.

Just like with the "development" across from BOK Center, they promise a lot, get your tax money and then deliver a much cheaper-looking less-walkable generic product with a chain-hotel that is good enough but not great. Would the One Place Tower and copy-paste hotel going in next to it excite people like the original renderings that showed interesting buildings with a bustling courtyard? (See: http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=20324.msg276577#msg276577 - Note announced in 2010 and still not finished 6 years later)

I guess they're taking a bit from art of the deal: "Play to people's fantasies". We should be thankful for the opportunity to put millions into the developers' pockets and rejoice when the plain buildings and monolithic garage are finished in 5-10 years along with this upscale hotel we will never use. It will all be worth it when the Blue Dome starts to feel a bit like the unique urban paradise at 2nd and Cheyenne!
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2016, 01:02:40 pm »

It looks like the old Santa Fe Depot at 1st & Elgin is part of the hotel, will there be rooms there or is that where the meeting space will be?  Hopefully when the designs go in for planning review they can force the drop off to be on the north side

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org