A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:52:19 pm
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gilcrease Museum Demolition  (Read 41203 times)
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2021, 10:53:24 am »

Does anyone have a link to the master plan or more info on how they plan to connect to the trails?

I saw this posted from the groundbreaking ceremony.  The new trail network will be awesome and extends almost all the way out to 53rd W Ave into the hills around Harlow Creek.  Currently the Gilcrease trails only go out to 33rd W Ave.  That street on the right is Gilcrease Museum Rd.  

I assume this will be open to the public as it would be too large to control access.  This will be a great place to hike and ride mountain bikes.

Dreaming here but it would be really cool if somehow the trails here connected to the trails at the Tulsa Botanic Garden, the western-most trails would only be about 2 miles south of the garden.  This is where the Gilcrease Expressway will cut through which is supposed to have a trail along it similar to the Creek Turnpike trail so it could be possible..

« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 11:01:44 am by SXSW » Logged

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2022, 03:05:20 pm »

Surprise, surprise... not just a little over budget but $27 million over budget.

This has got to be one of the worst management public projects in the region in forever. Bad, bad, bad.

It's a shame because this had so much potential to be something great. I just hope they figure out a way to get the project finished and not strip out $20 million from the project because it will pull out just about any amenity worthy of making it a decent museum like the outdoor roof space, landscaping/trails in the property, etc.

https://www.newson6.com/story/6323b270706ae10729df4cb6/gilcrease-museum-reconstruction-bids-millions-higher-than-projected-budget
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2022, 03:33:07 pm »

Surprise, surprise... not just a little over budget but $27 million over budget.

This has got to be one of the worst management public projects in the region in forever. Bad, bad, bad.

It's a shame because this had so much potential to be something great. I just hope they figure out a way to get the project finished and not strip out $20 million from the project because it will pull out just about any amenity worthy of making it a decent museum like the outdoor roof space, landscaping/trails in the property, etc.

https://www.newson6.com/story/6323b270706ae10729df4cb6/gilcrease-museum-reconstruction-bids-millions-higher-than-projected-budget

I get inflation, but shouldn't that also help tax collections to go well over projections leading to a surplus that can be used for these overages?
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2022, 06:30:26 pm »

I get inflation, but shouldn't that also help tax collections to go well over projections leading to a surplus that can be used for these overages?

Interesting point about increase in sales taxes, I haven't paid attention to really see how that has been trending lately.

Even with inflation there is no way the bids should be $27 million over... either someone screwed up the cost estimations horrifically or something shady is going on with the bids from the subcontractors. I get $5 maybe even $10 million but not $27 million.
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2022, 06:41:00 am »

Interesting point about increase in sales taxes, I haven't paid attention to really see how that has been trending lately.

Even with inflation there is no way the bids should be $27 million over... either someone screwed up the cost estimations horrifically or something shady is going on with the bids from the subcontractors. I get $5 maybe even $10 million but not $27 million.

I dunno - if the original budget was pre-Covid then a 25% increase doesn't sound too weird. Normally however the bids should have been locked down and the construction companies would be stuck with most of the price increase (based on what experience I have on large building projects and the bidding process), so I'm confused why they are still actively working on the bidding process after construction has already started. Was the city budgeting off of a "guesstimate" and not an actual bid?
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2023, 02:57:06 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba3esNWTjNQ&ab_channel=FlintcoConstruction

Solid progress so far. They'll get the shell done this year at least.

Curious if costs have come back down yet. I know some material costs have been falling, while there's still shortages of a few materials such as PVC and cast iron pipes.

Really hope this doesn't turn into another OKPOP.
ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #96 on: January 16, 2023, 07:12:26 pm »

Wow they've made some serious progress!

OkPop, what a mess. I saw a TulsaWorld article saying that they need to find $40 million to finish the interior. That could take 10 years.
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2023, 02:35:37 pm »

https://www.newson6.com/story/63f7605e96d356196d948e53/tulsa-city-council-diverting-funds-to-complete-construction-of-gilcrease-museum-new-animal-shelter

Some great shots of the construction progress and an update on the funding. Now they'll be able to finish the building, but like OKPOP they'll still need tens of millions for exhibits. Really not liking having two major museums in Tulsa in need of massive funding to build exhibits.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2023, 02:44:42 pm »

Rendering

Latest progress

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org