A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 08:09:06 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa 70's Trivia Question  (Read 8918 times)
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« on: August 13, 2015, 03:26:26 pm »

OK, a random thought in another thread has me thinking of childhood places that are long gone.

I'm trying to remember the name of a store that used to exist behind the old Southroads Mall. (I think it was sort of where the AMC 20 is now, but my memory is foggy.)  It was a combination of sporting goods, hardware and miscellaneous clothing and home stuff.  (I remember getting fishing tackle there as a kid.)  I want to say it was something like LUBCO, but that doesn't sound quite right.  It was in the days of OTASCO, Oertle's, etc. 

Also, what was the name of the five and dime store over at 51st and Harvard? (It was near the Fox Theater.)
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 03:46:17 pm »

OK, a random thought in another thread has me thinking of childhood places that are long gone.

I'm trying to remember the name of a store that used to exist behind the old Southroads Mall. (I think it was sort of where the AMC 20 is now, but my memory is foggy.)  It was a combination of sporting goods, hardware and miscellaneous clothing and home stuff.  (I remember getting fishing tackle there as a kid.)  I want to say it was something like LUBCO, but that doesn't sound quite right.  It was in the days of OTASCO, Oertle's, etc.  

Also, what was the name of the five and dime store over at 51st and Harvard? (It was near the Fox Theater.)

Looboyle.

http://www.mattsmusicpage.com/store/Old-Credit-Card-From-Looboyle-Inc-Tulsa-s-Original-Outdoor-Store_131422246959.html

http://newsok.com/article/1999510
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 03:54:11 pm by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 04:00:13 pm »

Of course!  Yes!
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 05:32:00 pm »

Of course!  Yes!

My parents had a place called the Clock and Bell restaurant next door in the early 80s.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 06:26:32 pm »

OK, new question:

Does anyone remember the annual stories in the Tulsa Tribune about the guy who lived in a hole?
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 09:22:06 pm »

OK, new question:

Does anyone remember the annual stories in the Tulsa Tribune about the guy who lived in a hole?

Hey, some of us just had very humble beginnings ok.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 09:49:00 pm »

I'm trying to remember the name of a store that used to exist behind the old Southroads Mall. (I think it was sort of where the AMC 20 is now, but my memory is foggy.)  It was a combination of sporting goods, hardware and miscellaneous clothing and home stuff.  (I remember getting fishing tackle there as a kid.)  I want to say it was something like LUBCO, but that doesn't sound quite right.  It was in the days of OTASCO, Oertle's, etc. 

Joe Krieger worked there....

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 11:35:16 pm »

OK, new question:

Gusty (Don Woods) had a fraidy hole, so that's not it, and there was a daily filler called "The Rambler" in the Trib, it wasn't Jay Cronley or his wife Connie, hmmmm.................
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 12:16:14 pm »

I don't remember the details but there was a homeless guy who lived in a hole / dugout of some kind. Every year, a reporter would go check in with him and give a little update. The reporter wouldn't reveal the location out of respect for the guy who just wanted to be left alone. They would also check up with him after blizzards etc.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 04:10:19 pm »

I don't remember the details but there was a homeless guy who lived in a hole / dugout of some kind. Every year, a reporter would go check in with him and give a little update. The reporter wouldn't reveal the location out of respect for the guy who just wanted to be left alone. They would also check up with him after blizzards etc.

Somewhere around 244 and Sheridan.....

cynical
Civic Leader

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 07:41:33 am »

"Staff writer" (what is that, anyway? Is it something other than "reporter?") Tom Carter wrote the man-in-a-hole article or articles. Carter was one of the Tribune staffers, along with Jay Cronley and a few others, who were brought aboard the TW when it pulled the plug on the printing contract with the Tribune. His time with the TW came to an end after the paper published an article in which Carter claimed that a Bristow landowner had bulldozed the family home of an elderly black couple, apparently out of pure racial spite. After an investigation by the authorities with the help of the Creek County NAACP chapter, the facts that emerged were that the bulldozed house was abandoned, filled with rats, mice, snakes, and feces, and the black couple had been happily living in town for years. The NAACP publicly announced that they had talked at length to the landowner and that he didn't have a racist bone in his body. The landowner sued the TW, the case settled out of court, and Carter never wrote again for the TW. Carter has apparently moved to Nashville where he is a freelance writer.

AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 02:59:19 pm »

OK, new question:

My husband gave him a ride once. He posted the story on his Facebook quite awhile back. I'll try to dig it up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org