A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:38:09 am
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trump  (Read 237578 times)
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #705 on: November 18, 2016, 12:28:03 pm »

That's why I used and ~30% because of all the garbage sites from both the left and the right use vastly different numbers.

So using facts to create fake news is accepted as factual? Just like MSNBC and the band of liars led by Brian Williams.

The number from the Justice department is 6%, for all aliens. There are according to DHS about 11.4 million illegal immigrants and about 13.3 legal permanent residents (non-citizen) for a combined 24.7 million aliens. So aliens, legal or not, make up 7.8% of the population of the United States (318 million), but only about 6% of prisoners.

That really doesn't make it sound like they are all drug dealers, rapists and I assume, some good people, now does it? The alien incarceration rate is lower than it is for citizens.

There are no where close to 2 million illegal aliens in American prisons. It's more like ~60,000 to 70,000.

https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/ois_lpr_pe_2012.pdf
https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/Unauthorized%20Immigrant%20Population%20Estimates%20in%20the%20US%20January%202012.pdf

« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 12:32:32 pm by swake » Logged
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #706 on: November 18, 2016, 01:20:36 pm »

Thread drift I know, but I heard something cute at work the other day. Effectively the gist was that several years ago (at least during the 12 election) John Stewart was the most trusted name in news for liberals, yet today, liberals are concerned about "fake news".

You can't make this stuff up.

Don't you find it at all odd that someone who says they are strictly entertainment - not news - is actually a better source of real news than all of Fox shows combined? 

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #707 on: November 18, 2016, 01:21:19 pm »

That's why I used and ~30% because of all the garbage sites from both the left and the right use vastly different numbers.

So using facts to create fake news is accepted as factual? Just like MSNBC and the band of liars led by Brian Williams.

No.  Exactly like Faux News.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #708 on: November 18, 2016, 01:23:49 pm »

I get and enjoy satire, it's some of the best humor. My issue was and is with friends who I think of as well reasoned, educated and common sense types started basing their decisions in voting solely based on what Jon Stewart, Bill Maher and Stephen Colbert presented to them.  

As opposed to how much of the country based their entire decision on no input other than Faux News...

I know I have said it before - PBS.  NPR.  OETA.  CPB.

For real information and news.  Truly fair and balanced as much as humanly possible.  And the real 'no spin zone'.

rebound
City Father

« Reply #709 on: November 18, 2016, 01:55:11 pm »

As opposed to how much of the country based their entire decision on no input other than Faux News...

I know I have said it before - PBS.  NPR.  OETA.  CPB.

For real information and news.  Truly fair and balanced as much as humanly possible.  And the real 'no spin zone'.
I was going to reply earlier regarding Fox "News".   It's sad how many people, at least around here, can't seem to quote anything beyond that channel.

I'd add another for anyone who has satellite radio.   Listen to the POTUS channel.   There is great long-form political commentary and discussion all day, every day.       

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #710 on: November 18, 2016, 03:16:24 pm »

I was going to reply earlier regarding Fox "News".   It's sad how many people, at least around here, can't seem to quote anything beyond that channel.

I'd add another for anyone who has satellite radio.   Listen to the POTUS channel.   There is great long-form political commentary and discussion all day, every day.       

That’s an over-characterization about Fox News.  Most of the posters I know personally on here don’t watch it and those who do don’t post here anymore.

I’m still not sure how anyone can consider NPR as anything other than a liberal slant.  I listen regularly and people could easily mistake their commentary for hard news. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #711 on: November 18, 2016, 05:28:53 pm »

I’m still not sure how anyone can consider NPR as anything other than a liberal slant. 

When the "news" you watch leans the same way you do, it seems straight up.  (Left OR Right)

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #712 on: November 21, 2016, 12:49:56 pm »

After realization that I'll hear 4 years of "President Trump" news I switched to podcasts.  I dislike reality TV.

So far...I'm a happier person.

Someone let me know if he's removed from office and I might start listening to NPR again.

Let me know if you'd like some Podcast recommendations.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #713 on: November 28, 2016, 02:45:42 pm »

That’s an over-characterization about Fox News.  Most of the posters I know personally on here don’t watch it and those who do don’t post here anymore.

I’m still not sure how anyone can consider NPR as anything other than a liberal slant.  I listen regularly and people could easily mistake their commentary for hard news. 

No over-characterization at all...every single person I have talked to who literally quotes the RWRE Faux News script says they don't listen to Fox.  Where are these literal quotes coming from then?  It is the bunch I listed.  And let's not forget Breitbart and Drudge.

As for NPR, we have touched on that before - yeah, I agree, they have a socially liberal slant - if one considers a liberal "slant" as being biased toward the principal and ideal of "The People" mentioned so often in the US Constitution but so often slung around by the RWRE when they intend to confuse, spin, and bias - you know the ideal that The People are the important part of this country.  Not special interests.  Not corporate interests.  Not elitists.  But they and PBS also are the ONLY ones who go out of their way to present both sides in a fair and balanced fashion.  And perhaps in depth coverage of topics does confuse many whose only idea and experience of "hard news" coverage is the monosyllabic soundbite of Faux News.   PBS also confuses many in similar fashion due to the much broader coverage given many topics.

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org