A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:59:31 am
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 48   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trump  (Read 242214 times)
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #240 on: April 10, 2016, 06:44:45 pm »

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #241 on: April 11, 2016, 07:09:37 am »

He took his loses over the weekend with the usual grace. Declaring the Boston Globe "stupid" and the delegate process "wildly corrupt" and designed to defeat him. It turns out his own kids aren't going to vote for him in the NY primary, because they didn't realize they needed to be registered Republicans by a certain date.

Apparently now knowing the rules of the game you're playing runs in the family. But just because you don't know them, doesn't mean they aren't stupid, unfair, corrupt, etc. etc. etc.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TulsaMoon
Civic Leader

« Reply #242 on: April 11, 2016, 09:43:26 am »

Trump and his people always seems to compare, or try to compare to him to President Reagan. So lets compare.

The first and most important comparison IMO would be the future of the country and the message given by both men. Trump, as we all know is "Make America great again", but with that comes the fear mongering of just how do that. Lets build a Wall (play off the fear and hate of Americans). Lets ban all Muslims from entering the United States (play off the fear and hate of Americans). Rip up the Executive order concerning Iran and nukes (play off the fear and hate of Americans)..This list goes on and on and I really don't have that amount of time but you get the point.

Reagan on the other hand was one very important thing, Optimistic. No playing off the fears or the hate that may have been in the minds of Americans in the late 70's, no it was the optimistic outlook he gave and he stayed away from personal attacks. Why is this? Reagan always felt a part of the American people. When asked by a reporter on Election Day 1980 what Americans saw in him, he replied, "Would you laugh if I told you that I think, maybe, they see themselves and that I'm one of them? I've never been able to detach myself or think that I, somehow, am apart from them." Reagan always saw himself as an American citizen first and part of the people.

During his campaign he did bring up the threat from communism and the nuclear-armed Soviet Union, inflation and economic stagnation, his belief that an over-bearing, over-regulating, overly distant federal government was sapping the nation's spirit and strength, and the public's sense that the country's best days were in the past. Through optimism he brought the hope and dreams back to the people though, not through fear and hate.

Trump and Reagan were both Democrats and as Trump puts it, "people change"

This is true..........SORTA....

Trump was a Democrat as recent as 2009 and in 2005 he gave a huge amount of money to the Clinton campaign, (foundation if you must) and they (Clintons) attended Trumps wedding. Trump changed his party from Republican to Independent Party in 1999, and switched again to Democrat in 2001. In 2009, 7 years ago he switched to the Republican party yet again. In this 7 year span he has changed his stance on Abortion, Gun Control, Healthcare, Immigration and so on and so on, you get the picture. My point is 7 years and the second is the party/issue flip flop he does. If he does not get the nomination he will flip once more to Independent.

Both men did make a switch but almost all the similarities between the two end there. Ronald Reagan's odyssey from Hollywood liberal to conservative backer took place over almost TWO decades and even then Reagan endorsed the presidential candidacies of Republican Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1952 and 1956 as well as that of Nixon in 1960 "while remaining a Democrat." No flip from party to party to party. The two main issues Reagan flipped on during his campaign was funding to bail out NYC in which he changed his stance when he saw how much Ed Koch had made steady progress toward restoration of fiscal soundness and opposed Congresses cut of 300 million in loans. The second was a federal loan to Chrysler where he did oppose and then back that loan.

Reagan knew he was not elected to be president of the right wing, he was elected to be president of the United States of America.

Trump says he is generating more enthusiasm than Reagan did. "I think that the closest thing I can think of is Reagan, but I don't think it's the intensity that we have," Trump told Bloomberg Politics. "Now, Reagan had a little bit of this but I don't think to the same extent – but he also won ... and everybody tells me that they've never seen crowds like this, this far away from November."

Reagan didn't talk about himself and Americans appreciated this at the time, and it is a marked contrast to the bombast and narcissism of Trump. Ever notice how Trump continues to talk about how he is doing in the polls, how he is doing here or there and not really talking about issues. Its always about how HE is doing.

Reagan gave me the hope of a better America through optimism. Trump is giving people hope through fear and hate. That's the difference to me.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #243 on: April 11, 2016, 11:21:25 am »

Trump and his people always seems to compare, or try to compare to him to President Reagan. So lets compare.

Reagan knew he was not elected to be president of the right wing, he was elected to be president of the United States of America.

Reagan gave me the hope of a better America through optimism. Trump is giving people hope through fear and hate. That's the difference to me.

Don't forget Reagan;

-  brought us Iran/Contra - arms for hostages, which gave us our our "great American hero", twice convicted Oliver North.

-  Largest tax increases in the history of the country to that point - 2 of them. When he saw what a catastrophe his tax cuts had been for fiscal policy - the debt.

-  Amnesty for illegals.  (One of several - ALL brought to us by Republicans. Eisenhower, Reagan, Bush)

-  Took the national debt from about $900 billion (over 200 years) to almost $3 trillion (over 8 years).

But we DID feel better about ourselves....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TulsaMoon
Civic Leader

« Reply #244 on: April 11, 2016, 02:51:15 pm »

Thanks for getting the point... not.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #245 on: April 13, 2016, 09:16:06 am »

Thanks for getting the point... not.

Got the point exactly.  Just letting the world know that Reagan was not "just another Messiah"...he had major flaws, too, that have been glossed over for decades by the Murdochian Media.  Look at the history of who he surrounded himself with - in particular as relates to race relations.

But he did make us feel better about ourselves....

And his tv show was really good... "Death Valley Days" !!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #246 on: April 25, 2016, 12:26:59 pm »

If Trump "Palin'd" himself and chose the Oklahoma governor as his running mate...would that get her out of our hair?

If so...how bad is Todd Lamb?  Is he freakishly bad as well?

Edited to say "nevermind"...

Oklahoma City– Lt. Governor Todd Lamb today released the following statement in response to the United States Supreme Court decision in King v. Burwell.

“I am disappointed, but not surprised, that our liberal judiciary has sided with the Obama administration and opted for judicial activism instead of a strict interpretation of the actual law as written.  This activism reinvigorates my steadfast belief in states' rights.  It is more important than ever to keep state issues out of the federal court system.”
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #247 on: April 25, 2016, 01:05:43 pm »

If so...how bad is Todd Lamb?  Is he freakishly bad as well?

Cough..sue Colorado to stop medical marijuana,cough,cough

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #248 on: April 25, 2016, 01:18:34 pm »

Cough..sue Colorado to stop medical marijuana,cough,cough

Yeah, it was a dumbassed question.  Two points deducted
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #249 on: April 29, 2016, 02:20:23 pm »

I was just watching Trump trying to get to his thing in California...I've never seen a presidential candidate do what he and the SS had to do to avoid protesters.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #250 on: April 29, 2016, 10:12:47 pm »

I was just watching Trump trying to get to his thing in California...I've never seen a presidential candidate do what he and the SS had to do to avoid protesters.

St. Ronnie made a campaign visit to Pittsburgh once. If you recall, that was about the time that the steel industry was in a death spiral. Thousands were out of work and the local economy cratered. The tax base for more than one western Pennsylvania community had all but disappeared. St. Ronnie was not popular.

He was scheduled to speak to a group of wealthy Republican donors in a downtown hotel. His staffers arrived in a big black limo in front of the hotel and were thronged by protesters while St. Ronnie buggered in through the back door.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #251 on: May 03, 2016, 05:58:04 am »

Heh.....!!

Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #252 on: May 03, 2016, 04:54:18 pm »

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #253 on: May 03, 2016, 06:20:38 pm »

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #254 on: May 03, 2016, 08:34:31 pm »

Gonna need a really BIG oil can!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 48   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org