A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:44:31 am
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Oilers now have a real affliation with NHL/AHL team  (Read 31420 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2015, 08:32:44 am »

Attendance is what matters.....

Not entirely always the case.  If that were true, Florida Panthers would have been gone four seasons ago.  If you have a rich owner/ownership group, that can offset it.  ECHL has one of those in Anchorage (Alaska Aces).  The league requires them to pay travel and lodging for the visiting teams.  Their attendance average last season (in a building that can house about 6300 for hockey) was 4367.  And this is in a state where EVERYTHING seems to cost more.

But mostly, yes.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2016, 11:23:46 am »

Tulsa Oilers with a 17-13-2 record (8th in the Western Conference) are currently 4th among ECHL franchises in attendance:

ECHL 2015-16 team attendance at hockeydb.com

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2016, 01:17:50 pm »

Whens the ECHL Okc Blazers announcement going to be....

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2016, 10:10:37 pm »

Whens the ECHL Okc Blazers announcement going to be....

Won't be for next season.  They've missed the deadline.  Although it's possible that they could move a team.  I hear the Stars are interested in moving their ECHL affiliate closer (currently in Boise ID).

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2016, 08:42:48 am »

Brad Lund runs Sold-Out-Strategies has taken over the marketing efforts of Rayo OKC NASL soccer scheduled to debut in the OKC suburb of Yukon, OK in April.  Rayo OKC is affiliated/owed by Rayo Vallecano de Madrid, S.A.D.  They are in a real battle with the USL OKC Energy FC for the soccer market.  Energy FC has averaged over 6,000 fans in their last 4 games.

Rayo OKC is putting together an impressive roster:  http://forums.bigsoccer.com/forums/oklahoma-city.1592/  

Latest on Lund:  "Former Oklahoma City Blazers CEO assembling an ownership group to bring hockey back to the city."

But Lund said he leans toward Oklahoma City still being a strong minor league hockey market. That’s why he is assembling an ownership group with a goal of bringing back the once-popular Blazers franchise in time for the 2016-17 season.

http://newsok.com/article/5425798

May have missed the deadline?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 08:44:21 am by Laramie » Logged

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2016, 11:24:07 am »

How ever it happens it needs to get done.....

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2016, 02:59:05 pm »

Brad Lund runs Sold-Out-Strategies has taken over the marketing efforts of Rayo OKC NASL soccer scheduled to debut in the OKC suburb of Yukon, OK in April.  Rayo OKC is affiliated/owed by Rayo Vallecano de Madrid, S.A.D.  They are in a real battle with the USL OKC Energy FC for the soccer market.  Energy FC has averaged over 6,000 fans in their last 4 games.

Rayo OKC is putting together an impressive roster:  http://forums.bigsoccer.com/forums/oklahoma-city.1592/  

Latest on Lund:  "Former Oklahoma City Blazers CEO assembling an ownership group to bring hockey back to the city."

http://newsok.com/article/5425798

May have missed the deadline?

Missed it by a mile  This article (from last June) I've already read.  If they had the support, then it shouldn't have been too difficult to put together the proposal.  I suspect venue is causing a problem.

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2016, 07:38:44 pm »

There are two downtown venues in Oklahoma City with ice plants totally equipped to host the ECHL:

Chesapeake Energy Arena, 'The Peake' (formerly, the Ford Center): IH seating capacity 18,036 - $185 million total cost includes 2010 renovations.  NBA Thunder are the primary tenant with leasing rights (reserve dates) to Chesapeake Energy Arena.  

In 2004, the Blazers set a single game CHL attendance record at Ford Center of 16,929 in a loss to the Tulsa Oilers.

Cox Convention Center Arena (formerly Myriad Great Arena): IH seating capacity 13,399 - $55.8 million renovation, June 1997.

Just don't think there is enough ownership interest to bring hockey back to OKC following its disastrous attendance in the AHL.  The NBA Thunder currently have 235 consecutive sellouts of 18,203 dating back to 2010. The overlapping of basketball & hockey--especially with OU  men's recent sell outs @ Lloyd Noble Center 11,500 may have attributed to that no time table delay to consider bringing hockey back to OKC.

The only minor league development rivalry between Tulsa-OKC exist in USL soccer.  Both cities have gone separate ways in minor league baseball & ice hockey.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 07:50:40 pm by Laramie » Logged

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2016, 07:52:45 pm »

There are two downtown venues in Oklahoma City with ice plants totally equipped to host the ECHL:

Chesapeake Energy Arena, 'The Peake' (formerly, the Ford Center): IH seating capacity 18,036 - $185 million total cost includes 2010 renovations.  NBA Thunder are the primary tenant with leasing rights (reserve dates) to Chesapeake Energy Arena.  

In 2004, the Blazers set a single game CHL attendance record at Ford Center of 16,929 in a loss to the Tulsa Oilers.

Cox Convention Center Arena (formerly Myriad Great Arena): IH seating capacity 13,399 - $55.8 million renovation, June 1997.

Just don't think there is enough ownership interest to bring hockey back to OKC following its disastrous attendance in the AHL.  The NBA Thunder currently have 235 consecutive sellouts of 18,203 dating back to 2010. The overlapping of basketball & hockey--especially with OU  men's recent sell outs @ Lloyd Noble Center 11,500 may have attributed to that no time table delay to consider bringing hockey back to OKC.

The only minor league development rivalry between Tulsa-OKC exist in USL soccer.  Both cities have gone separate ways in minor league baseball & ice hockey.

Sure there are those willing to do hockey in those venues.  However, they'll be fighting directly with those venues for dates (The Chesapeake and the Thunder, and the Cox Center with the NBDL team).

From what I understand, the ownership group exists, now it's finding a place to play.  Fighting for dates is no fun.  The AHL team went tits up because of the way the Funks unceremoniously folded the Blazers with a huge fan base.  It made for bad blood and I'm not blaming any of the Blazer fans.  That falls squarely on Bob Funk's shoulders.

ECHL is pursuing a team in that market for sure.  It won't be next season however.

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2016, 08:38:09 pm »

Hoss,

Most of the Thunder games are scheduled on weekdays & Sundays.  Most Friday & Saturday nights are open unless SMG is over booked with concerts. Civic Center Music Hall has chair back seating for concerts

There is a new Criterion Concert Hall (similar to Cain's Ballroom) set to open 2016; Expo or Fairgrounds Events Center set to open in 2016 & the renovated Chevy Bricktown Events Center in downtown  which could relieve some concerts at the Peake & the Cox CC (old Myriad).

Really don't know what or why hockey hasn't been revisited.  They are filling up these venues as fast as they can get them constructed.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org