A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:58:56 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Oilers now have a real affliation with NHL/AHL team  (Read 31421 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 05:02:49 pm »

He was probably the only reason it lasted as long as it did there......

That may be the case, but he ran the franchise into the ground, much like where Lund was going with the Oilers.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2015, 10:57:11 pm »

Looks like Lund is on it......

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2015, 11:01:26 pm »

Looks like Lund is on it......

Brad Lund > Jeff Lund.  Brad knows how to run a hockey franchise.  It's funny, he should have shown his uncle how to.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2015, 11:15:22 am »

2 Mill for a franchise fee.....

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2015, 11:33:52 am »

2 Mill for a franchise fee.....

Yep..however the old CHL teams got that waived is my understanding.

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2015, 11:04:13 am »

I don't claim to know a lot about Jeff Lund; however, Brad always managed to bring in the OKC crowds.  Some questioned his methods with claims that he gave away tickets?  I was never the recipient of any free tickets.

Brad Lund has been working behind-the-scenes to put a group together to bring an Oklahoma City ECHL entry into this market for 2016-17 season.

Former Oklahoma City Blazers CEO assembling an ownership group to bring hockey back to the city | News OK

If the rivalries are renewed in 2016; you should witness some carryover between ice hockey & soccer with TUL-OKC.  Oklahoma City Energy FC's last 4 soccer crowds were impressive:

August 29, Austin 2-0 win. Attendance: 6,089
     September 12, Colorado Springs 3-3 tie. Attendance: 6,847 Largest regular season crowd in Energy FC's history.
     October 4, Colorado Springs 3-2 playoff win. Attendance: 6,370
     October 11, Los Angeles Galaxy 2-1 playoff lost. Attendance:  7,654 Largest crowd In Energy FC's history.

Will the OKC Energy FC's trend of 6,000-plus attendance figures continue into the 2016 season?  OKC's 4,635 average placed 7th in USL.  Sports entertainment dollars are stretched in OKC as the NBA Thunder has 209 consecutive sellouts of 18,203 which dates back to 2010.  OU football has 87 consecutive sellouts of 83,000 plus.

Equally as impressive non playoff contender Tulsa Roughnecks FC's averaged 4,714 in their inaugural year (5th best USL) with intermarket  competition--NPSL Tulsa Athletics.  Ownerships should partner together; go for an MLS franchise (expansion or relocation) and promote a Vision 2025 extension to put a 20,000-seat soccer specific stadium (estimate: $100 - $125 million) on the ballot to have something ready post 2020 second wave of MLS expansion.  Promote that the team be called Tulsa as OKC did with the NBA's Thunder.

Tulsa is primed for NHL or MLS to be the next city in Oklahoma to embrace a 'big league city' franchise in at least 1 of five major sports.  BOK Center could be retrofitted for NHL.  OKC will finish their streetcar  system in 2018.   There's talk about regular rail transit service between TUL-OKC with a rail transit corridor:  Tulsa-Oklahoma City Corridor Investment Plan - About the Plan

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 11:33:50 am by Laramie » Logged

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2015, 01:31:36 pm »

I don't claim to know a lot about Jeff Lund; however, Brad always managed to bring in the OKC crowds.  Some questioned his methods with claims that he gave away tickets?  I was never the recipient of any free tickets.

Brad Lund has been working behind-the-scenes to put a group together to bring an Oklahoma City ECHL entry into this market for 2016-17 season.

Former Oklahoma City Blazers CEO assembling an ownership group to bring hockey back to the city | News OK

If the rivalries are renewed in 2016; you should witness some carryover between ice hockey & soccer with TUL-OKC.  Oklahoma City Energy FC's last 4 soccer crowds were impressive:

August 29, Austin 2-0 win. Attendance: 6,089
     September 12, Colorado Springs 3-3 tie. Attendance: 6,847 Largest regular season crowd in Energy FC's history.
     October 4, Colorado Springs 3-2 playoff win. Attendance: 6,370
     October 11, Los Angeles Galaxy 2-1 playoff lost. Attendance:  7,654 Largest crowd In Energy FC's history.

Will the OKC Energy FC's trend of 6,000-plus attendance figures continue into the 2016 season?  OKC's 4,635 average placed 7th in USL.  Sports entertainment dollars are stretched in OKC as the NBA Thunder has 209 consecutive sellouts of 18,203 which dates back to 2010.  OU football has 87 consecutive sellouts of 83,000 plus.

Equally as impressive non playoff contender Tulsa Roughnecks FC's averaged 4,714 in their inaugural year (5th best USL) with intermarket  competition--NPSL Tulsa Athletics.  Ownerships should partner together; go for an MLS franchise (expansion or relocation) and promote a Vision 2025 extension to put a 20,000-seat soccer specific stadium (estimate: $100 - $125 million) on the ballot to have something ready post 2020 second wave of MLS expansion.  Promote that the team be called Tulsa as OKC did with the NBA's Thunder.

Tulsa is primed for NHL or MLS to be the next city in Oklahoma to embrace a 'big league city' franchise in at least 1 of five major sports.  BOK Center could be retrofitted for NHL.  OKC will finish their streetcar  system in 2018.   There's talk about regular rail transit service between TUL-OKC with a rail transit corridor:  Tulsa-Oklahoma City Corridor Investment Plan - About the Plan

Explain how the BOK would need to be 'retro-fitted' for the NHL.  I've talked to several people who have said the facility is NHL-ready right now.  As as far as capacity goes (17096 right now for hockey), the BOK Center is a perfect fit..lower end of the spectrum, but not much smaller than Bridgestone Arena in Nashville (which I went to for a game last March).

I don't believe Tulsa has a hoot-in-hell chance of the NHL anytime in the next 5 years or probably even 10.  It would be nice to dream, but those NHL tickets aren't cheap by any stretch of the imagination.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2015, 06:07:01 am »

I've heard Tulsa's Arena is larger than the Columbus Bluejackets arena, which is a (pretty bad) NHL team.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2015, 06:32:57 am »

I've heard Tulsa's Arena is larger than the Columbus Bluejackets arena, which is a (pretty bad) NHL team.

Depends on what you mean by larger.  Capacity?  Then no.  Nationwide Arena (in which the Blue Jackets play) has a sit-down hockey capacity of 18,144, with a standing-room only capacity of a little over 19k.  I don't know if the BOK Center has standing-room only seating, but know that the hockey capacity is 17,096.  That's more than just three current NHL arenas (Rexall Place in Edmonton for the Oilers, Barclays Center in Brooklyn for the Islanders and MTS Centre in Winnipeg for the Jets).

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2015, 06:26:53 pm »

Depends on what you mean by larger.  Capacity?  Then no.  Nationwide Arena (in which the Blue Jackets play) has a sit-down hockey capacity of 18,144, with a standing-room only capacity of a little over 19k.  I don't know if the BOK Center has standing-room only seating, but know that the hockey capacity is 17,096.  That's more than just three current NHL arenas (Rexall Place in Edmonton for the Oilers, Barclays Center in Brooklyn for the Islanders and MTS Centre in Winnipeg for the Jets).

It was someone from Columbus who told me that.

We probably have bigger seats.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2015, 07:41:26 pm »

Butts would be smaller in Columbus seeing as they are freezing them off so often.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2015, 08:58:26 pm »

Butts would be smaller in Columbus seeing as they are freezing them off so often.

They saved money by not needing to install a cooling system for the ice.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2015, 09:12:53 pm »

They saved money by not needing to install a cooling system for the ice.

I won't believe it until I hear from our local Columbus expert...uh....wait....

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2015, 09:15:04 pm »

It's possible that in footprint he could be correct.  ScottTrade Center in St. Louis has almost 20,000 seats, but, the concourses are super narrow.  I like the Blues but I got spoiled with the larger concourses at BOK.

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2015, 07:46:44 am »

Attendance is what matters.....

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org