A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:34:37 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bring it on back.  (Read 6472 times)
DolfanBob
City Father

« on: July 31, 2015, 12:00:13 pm »

Are you Downtown dwellers using this reverse parking? It's not really a bad idea until you have cars following you and you want to park. Are there signs designating reverse parking only? And do you think this will catch on with the rest of Downtown street parking. I know I would much rather pull out head first than backing out like you have to do in Broken Arrows Rose District.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/downtown/back-in-angled-parking-spaces-set-to-expand-in-downtown/article_89f08058-efee-5716-bed8-00dc2f0ab92f.html

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 02:07:30 pm »

I poo-poo’d the ‘mon back parking, but it’s really no different than a proper parallel park, since that dictates you back into the space if the spaces in front and behind that space are taken.  That is unless you are a total jack hole and just angle in and leave your rear bumper sticking out three feet into oncoming traffic.  Grin

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Ed W
City Father

Re:
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 02:35:29 pm »

Back in parking may be safer for those of us on two wheels because a motorist leaving one of these spaces has better sight lines.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 02:56:21 pm »

Seems like an easier version of parallel parking.  And as noted, Tulsa drivers have a bad habit of pulling up to your back bumper when you are trying to parallel park, even when you have your turn signal on.  Oh well, I just wait them out and laugh as they go around giving me various hand signals of endearment.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 07:32:25 pm »

I've used them. Just put on your blinker, stop, and put it in reverse... They'll go around d you so you can park, or sit there like idiots in perpetuity.

No different than parallel parking.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 08:25:32 pm »

I've used them. Just put on your blinker, stop, and put it in reverse... They'll go around d you so you can park, or sit there like idiots in perpetuity.

Blinker?  Turn signal?   Grin

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 10:32:10 pm »

Blinker?  Turn signal?   Grin

Yes but most people ignore the warning light on their car

an it's often on sale.........

an for lawyers with high dollar import cars.......

Ed W
City Father

Re:
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 09:40:48 am »

I told my daughter about blinker fluid when she was learning to drive. Shortly after, her drivers ed  instructor was showing the class where all the fluids were in their demo car, and naturally she asked about blinker fluid.

I'm a bad dad.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 10:40:16 am »

Yes but most people ignore the warning light on their car

My Blinker Fluid warning light must be burned out.

Grin

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

Re:
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 10:52:32 am »

I told my daughter about blinker fluid when she was learning to drive. Shortly after, her drivers ed  instructor was showing the class where all the fluids were in their demo car, and naturally she asked about blinker fluid.

I'm a bad dad.

Nah, no worse than what we did to a new guy at the parts counter at the old Fairway Automall. We asked for a radiator cap for a 1972 VW Beetle with an automatic stickshift, and spark plugs for a 1977 VW Diesel Rabbit. After 10 minutes of looking through catalogs he told us they must be a dealer only item.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 11:28:36 am »

BOT, I saw this somewhere else and thought it was an interesting idea, but I do see a couple of side effects with this. The first is the parking on the left side of the street can create a blind spot for some when backing in, and pulling out from the left side can also make it difficult for a driver to see traffic. Also I wouldn't want sidewalk seating and getting exhaust blown right at me. Also while I realize this is done on low speed streets, 20mph or less at least with head in parking you can see when someone has their foot on the brake and reverse lights on you know they may be about to pull out.

Just my observations.
Tulsa Zephyr
Activist

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 03:22:34 pm »

In the last few days, they've painted "reverse parking" stripes on the west side of Detroit between Archer and Brady, across from The Rusty Crane.  As I drove by there today, out of the 12 or so spots, only two cars were reverse parked in the spaces.  The other cars were parked headed in toward the curb which means they're  pointed south, on a north-bound one-way street.  I don't know who's going to educate the public on how these are supposed to work, but I'm sure going to be extra careful going north on Detroit for awhile... Shocked

"My ambition is handicapped by laziness."  Charles Bukowski
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org