A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:20:37 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa history question. Can you help solve the mystery?  (Read 9745 times)
Fatfinger
Tourist

« on: July 22, 2015, 07:37:28 am »

Hello all.

I have a question about Tulsa's past that I'm hoping someone here can answer.

Somewhere around 50-60 years ago my father-in-law and his family spent a few days in Tulsa.

He said they camped at a lake near downtown (not Keystone or anything that far away). I have lived in Tulsa for 20 years now and in that time FIL has visited on several occasions. On some of these trips we have driven around trying to look for his lake, but he can't find anything that looks familiar.

I have heard that there was a recreational lake (possibly created by damming the Arkansas River?) years ago that is now gone, but have not been able to confirm that.

Anyone familiar with Tulsa history know anything about what lake this could have been?  FIL is sure it was a recreational lake (not just the river) not far from downtown.

Thanks!

Edit: Zink Lake obviously fits well geographically, but FIL described all kinds of recreation including fishing, boating, and swimming, which suggests there was quite a bit more to it than the wide spot in the river we have today.  Did Zink Lake used to be something much more "back in the day"?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 08:12:13 am by Fatfinger » Logged
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 08:24:52 am »

I wonder if it was Sand Springs Lake?

https://goo.gl/yWrfgR

I seem to remember hearing that there was camping there at one time or another.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 09:38:28 am »

or possibly white water park below the dam
dsjeffries
City Father

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 09:59:38 am »

Or Lake Yahola?

Change never happened because people were happy with the status quo.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 10:04:28 am »

Or Lake Yahola?

Yahola isn't really close to downtown or the river for that matter.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
dsjeffries
City Father

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 10:12:17 am »

Yahola isn't really close to downtown or the river for that matter.

Yahola is only 5-6 miles away from downtown, and at one time, its docks were open to the public. They could've camped out there.

Change never happened because people were happy with the status quo.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 10:39:38 am »

Could be Funspot Skyline lake out near Jenks. It had swimming fishing camping and some carnival type rides including a great wooden roller coaster. It is now an event center surrounded by housing. Or perhaps Shell Lake in Sands Springs.

onward...through the fog
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 10:49:39 am »

Just a thought. 60 years ago ranch acres was not developed. There are a couple of ponds in that area that may have been used for recreation.

onward...through the fog
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 11:11:51 am »

Swan Lake?   It was bigger than it is now.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 02:28:53 pm »

Swan Lake?   It was bigger than it is now.

May have still been called Orcutt Lake at that time.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 06:15:28 pm »

1955 Swan Lake was fully developed. Most of those homes were from the 20's and 30's.

I can't really place anything from that time period near downtown. Maybe something west of down town like Crystal City?

onward...through the fog
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 06:55:50 pm »

What about that little lake at 31st and Gary? Those houses look like they are from the 50s and 60s
rdj
City Father

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 07:58:28 am »

Surely not the pond at Owen Park?  That used to be a recreational area.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 09:10:08 am »

The boating part, with any of the locations we have discussed, would have to have been paddle or row boats.  I too had wondered about the pond at Owen Park, but the camping doesn’t sound right.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 12:08:22 pm »

Pretty old area. There is a small creek that feeds into it (usually dry). That sounds like the best guess.

onward...through the fog
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org