A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:03:35 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Great Raft Race is Back!!!  (Read 6615 times)
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« on: July 16, 2015, 11:30:50 am »

Just read an article in the Tulsa World that The Great Raft Race is making a comeback this Labor Day (Sept 7)!

I'm excited to see the return of this quirky Tulsa tradition! (Added bonus for those of us who rember the river back in the 80's, the water should be a lot safer and cleaner than it used to be.)

Sponsored by KRMG, PSO and TyPros.

I'm excited. I actually talked to John Erling about this several years ago, thinking that TulsaNow should revive the tradition. He said that the liability insurance got too expensive and the radio station decided it wasn't worth it. Maybe the chamber is paying up the insurance this time around.

In any case...glad this is happening!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 02:55:40 pm »

My father, brother, and I stood out on a sand bar near the finish for the very first one 42 years ago.  The river and River Parks has come a long way since then!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 06:13:02 pm »

Just read an article in the Tulsa World that The Great Raft Race is making a comeback this Labor Day (Sept 7)!

If I recall, some of those entries took a lot more than a month to put together.
At its height, people would be piecing them together over the winter.  Yeah, it was a big deal.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 08:23:03 pm »

If I recall, some of those entries took a lot more than a month to put together.
At its height, people would be piecing them together over the winter.  Yeah, it was a big deal.

They have almost two

And I suspect many people already started
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 07:30:08 am »

Short notice, especially since I will be out of town for 3 weeks in August, but I've already told my wife we are getting a team together next year and doing this.
CoffeeBean
Civic Leader

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 09:37:57 am »

Has anyone here floated the Arkansas from Keystone to the boathouse?  I have a kayak, but no experience on this portion of the river. 

Any spots to watch for?   

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 02:43:32 pm »

Yes. But nothing an experienced kayaker couldn't handle. Mostly depends on the volume being released.

onward...through the fog
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 10:04:57 pm »

So do the rafts need motors to help them make it to shore to dock, or do they just risk following the current over the LWD?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 10:12:32 pm »

So do the rafts need motors to help them make it to shore to dock, or do they just risk following the current over the LWD?

I can think of a few people I’d like to see forgo the docking motor  Shocked

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 08:32:41 am »

Is there a website with details that I missed? I can't believe they would start at keystone dam. Too long. I also think motorized rafts would not be allowed on Zink lake. Probably only guide boats like the rowing crew or fire rescue boat.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 08:35:28 am by AquaMan » Logged

onward...through the fog
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 11:32:49 am »

This won't end well......

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 11:43:32 am »

http://www.newson6.com/story/29482557/adventurous-arkansas-river-rafters-have-mishap-in-tulsa

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 12:46:58 pm »

I was jogging in the area and saw them. It was a large inflatable that I figured was heading to exit at the ramp. Security was talking to them by the lagoon. Large unwieldy craft that the wind can push around easily. That is a good preview of what could happen with high water and winds during this race. I would have counseled them to portage around the low water dam.

I really don't want to see any tragedies happen. I will be glad to list or send anyone a list of where the major low flow obstacles are and what to look for during high flows.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 12:48:34 pm by AquaMan » Logged

onward...through the fog
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 04:04:55 pm »

I was jogging in the area and saw them. It was a large inflatable that I figured was heading to exit at the ramp. Security was talking to them by the lagoon. Large unwieldy craft that the wind can push around easily. That is a good preview of what could happen with high water and winds during this race. I would have counseled them to portage around the low water dam.

I really don't want to see any tragedies happen. I will be glad to list or send anyone a list of where the major low flow obstacles are and what to look for during high flows.

Those folks were foolish.....

PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 10:42:58 am »

Has anyone here floated the Arkansas from Keystone to the boathouse?  I have a kayak, but no experience on this portion of the river.  

Any spots to watch for?  
Years ago, I was on the Tulsa Rowing Club, and a friend and I decided to take a couple of single sculls up towards Keystone.  You had to have a certain amount of flow to get over some of the submerged obstacles in the river, which made rowing upstream fairly tiring.  (As I recall, there were some low concrete bars that ran across the river in certain areas.  No clue what they were for.  This was the 80's.)

In any case, the only tricky place I remember was where all the bridges cross around 11th and Riverside (244, Southwest Blvd, the old Route 66 bridge).  Due to all the piers having different alignments, it creates an assortment of eddies that make life interesting as you thread your way through them.  Probably no big deal on a raft, but definitely a big deal in a racing scull that's about 12 inches wide at the waterline and about 28 feet long with no keel.  We called this "running the gauntlet."  It was not an approved activity.

But it was actually pretty beautiful (aside from the "spooge" that was floating on the water in some areas), and the further upstream we went, the nicer and more peaceful it became.  No clue how far we got, but I was young and in shape and so it was probably several miles.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org