A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:24:25 am
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miss Jackson's/Petty's.....  (Read 189750 times)
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #150 on: January 18, 2016, 03:01:22 pm »

Don't forget the old Louisianne property at 18th and Boston adjacent to the bike path.
Now that brings back memories of great meals.  Thanks!

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #151 on: January 18, 2016, 03:13:39 pm »

Safeway used to love this area. The old Nine of Cups building, the building now housing Burnco and the Louisiane were all old Safeway grocery stores. So, there is some grocery history there.
Humm,  Back in the day... you sure where Burnco is wasn't the BAM (Boston Avenue Market) and then the Cups was a block further North and to complete the trifecta there was the Magicians theater a bit to the NW?

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #152 on: January 18, 2016, 03:26:10 pm »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/news/throwbacktulsa/throwback-tulsa-from-hippies-to-well-heeled-nine-of-cups/article_223dfc98-aff6-5ff3-a5a9-6f6944987cf2.html?TNNoMobile

http://www.tulsaworld.com/weekend/cover_story/live-tulsa-sound-now-closed-venues-dating-to-s-helped/article_eac754c1-a59e-5121-9deb-24aea557cd65.html
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 03:28:34 pm by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #153 on: January 18, 2016, 03:35:37 pm »

What a cool interior.  Only Impressions on 15th & Lewis came close IMHO.  I wonder if all the barn wood is still there?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
joiei
City Father

« Reply #154 on: January 18, 2016, 03:39:05 pm »

There would be a lot of bike and walk-up customers.
But do they spend any money?  Your out for a 30 mile bike ride.  Are you really going stop and pick up dinner in the middle of your ride? 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #155 on: January 18, 2016, 03:55:02 pm »

What a cool interior.  Only Impressions on 15th & Lewis came close IMHO.  I wonder if all the barn wood is still there?

Makes you wonder. I never had the chance to go to those places, when I was old enough, it was "The Play" at what is now 71st and Peoria, The Great Escape where I saw Robin Trower, the Sunset Grill,  the original Blue Rose, Casko's, and some of the hotels had good bands playing in the bars.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #156 on: January 18, 2016, 04:01:57 pm »

But do they spend any money?  Your out for a 30 mile bike ride.  Are you really going stop and pick up dinner in the middle of your ride?  
In cities where bike lanes have been built, they've done studies of how this impacts adjacent businesses.  Cyclists actually spend less money per shopping trip, but they make more trips to their destinations.  (They are more likely to make several small shopping runs, for example, rather than one big one on Saturday.)  Meanwhile, because bike parking takes up less space than car parking, it's actually possible to serve more customers at once, if you're located along a popular bike route.

So all those places that worried about losing on-street car parking spaces actually ended up getting the same or more sales after the bike lanes went in.  

If memory serves, they also mentioned that cyclists spent more money on eating and drinking than the average car driver.  Go figure.  Something about burning calories?  Or just being generally young and single?  Not sure, but it's "food for thought."

I ride my bike all the time, and it's usually for no more than 7 miles per trip.  I ride to the grocery store and to work several times a week.  I'd ride to more destinations if they were convenient and safe for cycling.  When I lived close to downtown, I rode to dinner all the time.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 04:04:13 pm by PonderInc » Logged
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #157 on: January 18, 2016, 07:43:13 pm »

Humm,  Back in the day... you sure where Burnco is wasn't the BAM (Boston Avenue Market) and then the Cups was a block further North and to complete the trifecta there was the Magicians theater a bit to the NW?

I spent some time perusing the Beryl Ford collection and noticed that Safeway had been in all three of those locations. We used to call it the "Boston Avenue Meat Market" cause it was such a great pick up bar.

It was a dangerous neighborhood in the 70's which made it all the more fun till someone slashed my tires behind BAM. But Magicians was special. Guava and the GAP band were so cool. The food at the Cups was always good and it was always crowded.

A good bulk coffee retailer was nearby. It later moved to Brookside. The name escapes me.

onward...through the fog
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #158 on: January 18, 2016, 07:51:36 pm »

A good bulk coffee retailer was nearby. It later moved to Brookside. The name escapes me.

Mecca?

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #159 on: January 18, 2016, 07:53:42 pm »

It was a dangerous neighborhood in the 70's which made it all the more fun till someone slashed my tires behind BAM.

All the more reason for a trolley.

Cheesy

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #160 on: January 18, 2016, 07:58:55 pm »

Yeah, Mecca. It was a hopping area. El Charrito, Louisiane, Mecca, BAM, a liquor store, a paint store, Phoenix cleaners, Nine of Cups, Magicians, and a real service station, a fire station, Boulder Park and the River Parks. Everything we needed within walking distance of our house. I would love to have had a trolley circling the area instead of tipsy drivers.

onward...through the fog
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #161 on: January 18, 2016, 08:27:06 pm »

I spent some time perusing the Beryl Ford collection and noticed that Safeway had been in all three of those locations. We used to call it the "Boston Avenue Meat Market" cause it was such a great pick up bar.

It was a dangerous neighborhood in the 70's which made it all the more fun till someone slashed my tires behind BAM. But Magicians was special. Guava and the GAP band were so cool. The food at the Cups was always good and it was always crowded.

I will never forget remember a night spent dancing on tables at the Nine of Cups not long before it closed.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #162 on: January 19, 2016, 09:19:46 am »

But do they spend any money?  Your out for a 30 mile bike ride.  Are you really going stop and pick up dinner in the middle of your ride? 

Middle of the ride?  No. But after the ride, I do fairly often. Conan and I stop at a Thai buffet regularly. But as far as stopping to get groceries while out on an exercise ride... no. But riding my towney to the store - sure.  Just like not a lot of people take their Harley grocery shopping or their 'Vet to pick up lumber - my Bianchi is the wrong bike for that job.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #163 on: January 19, 2016, 10:31:02 am »

Middle of the ride?  No. But after the ride, I do fairly often. Conan and I stop at a Thai buffet regularly. But as far as stopping to get groceries while out on an exercise ride... no. But riding my towney to the store - sure.  Just like not a lot of people take their Harley grocery shopping or their 'Vet to pick up lumber - my Bianchi is the wrong bike for that job.

But we have stopped at a brewery in the middle of our ride before on said Bianchis.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #164 on: January 19, 2016, 12:24:10 pm »

But we have stopped at a brewery in the middle of our ride before on said Bianchis.

Oh, hell yes. Both Prairie and Marshall's. I've also stopped at River/s Edge/Elwood, Blue Rose, food trucks, shaved ive places, the Mexican place out near Jenks, and...well, OK. I stop a bunch.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org