A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:38:12 am
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miss Jackson's/Petty's.....  (Read 189662 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #105 on: January 12, 2016, 01:35:11 pm »

How do any of those supplement/grocery stores stay in business?

There must be a healthy mark up in supplements, though the place in Jenks went tits up rather quickly.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #106 on: January 12, 2016, 01:42:17 pm »

Unlike Miss Jacksons, Pettys was always full of customers.
Still is, and the parking in front is always a game of geriatric bumbpercars.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #107 on: January 12, 2016, 01:58:44 pm »

There must be a healthy mark up in supplements, though the place in Jenks went tits up rather quickly.

I went to that Jenks store a couple of times but I'm not sure I actually ever bought anything. The deli there carried the exact same brand of meat as Target’s deli just at $12+ a pound instead of $9. So Target level goods at Whole Foods prices with a terrible selection to go with it. They opened about the same time as the new Reasor's in Jenks and Reasor's devotes more space to Onions than that store did to all fresh foods. Just a really bad store.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 02:00:24 pm by swake » Logged
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #108 on: January 12, 2016, 02:07:27 pm »

I'm not sure a grocery store really fits Utica Square anymore.  It would need to be a high margin type place like Whole Foods.  If you combine the spaces it would probably fit a Nordstroms or similar type store.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #109 on: January 12, 2016, 02:55:37 pm »

I'm not sure a grocery store really fits Utica Square anymore.  It would need to be a high margin type place like Whole Foods.  If you combine the spaces it would probably fit a Nordstroms or similar type store.

Petty’s was about as high margin as it gets.  Why swap one for the other?  They used to (and may have still, no idea) do home delivery back when I was in high school.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #110 on: January 12, 2016, 03:19:20 pm »

They used to (and may have still, no idea) do home delivery back when I was in high school.

Lots of places did that back in the 50's.

Heck, Sam the butcher was still delivering his meat to Alice into the early 70's.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 03:46:48 pm by Townsend » Logged
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #111 on: January 12, 2016, 03:38:36 pm »

Can you fit an 2 story REI and 2 story Crate & Barrel on the Petty's/Miss Jackson's site?

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #112 on: January 12, 2016, 04:27:58 pm »

Heck, Sam the butcher was still delivering his meat to Alice into the early 70’s.

I thought that was completely platonic.  Shocked

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #113 on: January 13, 2016, 06:11:27 am »

How do any of those supplement/grocery stores stay in business?

Beats me been in there a couple of times....Dead as a door nail....

Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #114 on: January 13, 2016, 09:47:34 am »

Nordstrom Outlet, that's an oxymoron. I went to a couple of them after getting gift cards and wasn't  impressed. Everything was basically 15% off, so it's not a bargin. Just my experience, your mileage may vary.

Really?

I've always had pretty good luck at Nordstrom Rack.  Way better luck than any other "outlet" type store.  I've bought two pretty nice Hugo Boss suits there for a pretty nice discount.  (They retail for around $900 and I got both of them for around $400.)   

The key is that the most common sizes (40R, 42R, 44R) are few and far between.  You have to kind of get lucky based on when they get new stuff.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #115 on: January 13, 2016, 11:53:30 am »

Lots of places did that back in the 50's.

Heck, Sam the butcher was still delivering his meat to Alice into the early 70's.

Alice got a deep discount on the tube-steak from Sam....

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #116 on: January 13, 2016, 01:31:55 pm »

New article in the world about the closing With some interesting quotes.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/retail/petty-s-fine-foods-out-at-utica-square-i-think/article_e0205593-8064-585e-b49c-75f18995b031.html

It wasn't Petty's idea to close, and they may well reopen:
On Tuesday, Petty said his grocery could still reopen elsewhere. He pegged the odds of it happening at about 50-50.
“There’s no timetable for something like that,” he said. “I think it depends on what opportunities are out there, what other people might show us or present to us, what we might see on our own.
“We would probably do something similar, possibly even smaller. … Location is everything. … People have talked to us about the Brady District and far south Tulsa, places like that.”

It's about H&P wanting the space:
Business was a factor in Petty’s closing, but not the main one, Petty said.
“It’s not what we would’ve liked for it to be, so that plays into it,” Petty said. “It’s not the sole reason.”
The main reason, he said, is “I think the landlord has other plans for the building.”

Most interestingly, sounds like the whole building may go:
Petty said the pair of closings isn’t an indictment of the health of the shopping center.
“I don’t think it’s a reflection on Utica Square. I think it’s more the building. That’s an old building. And the building may be at the end of its useful life,” he said.
The building was built in 1965 and is just under 59,000 square feet, according to Tulsa County property records.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #117 on: January 13, 2016, 01:38:25 pm »

If I remember the story correctly, there was a *gasp* bowling alley in that area of Utica Square until 1964 or thereabouts.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #118 on: January 13, 2016, 02:58:02 pm »

If I remember the story correctly, there was a *gasp* bowling alley in that area of Utica Square until 1964 or thereabouts.

Walt Helmerich didn't build Utica Square but he built Utica Square.
That seeming contradiction is easy to explain. He didn't build the buildings. But he built the Square into a unique Tulsa shopping center.
The center was built by Dale Carter, a lumber and building materials supplier, and Don Nix, a real estate developer. It opened in May 1952. It was Tulsa's first shopping center, loosely patterned after the highly successful Country Club Plaza in Kansas City.
Helmerich was in the oil business. Helmerich and Payne was a major drilling contractor. Walt, the son of that company's founder, approached Carter and Nix about buying the Square. He thought he had a deal.
But Nix backed out. Eventually Carter and Nix sold the center, in 1963, to Bill Kistler. That same year a fire destroyed the Square building that housed the Southwest's largest bowling alley. Kistler rebuilt -- that building now houses Miss Jackson's, Petty's Fine Foods and other stores.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/archives/the-tulsa-difference/article_4d710138-fc0b-5ac5-abdd-01b539d2c93a.html
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #119 on: January 13, 2016, 04:25:46 pm »

Beggars can't be choosers but I'm not too excited for Petty's in the Brady. I would like a more reasonably priced grocery store.   Undecided

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org